Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A 'Wheel' watcher's lament  (Read 4239 times)

lobster

A 'Wheel' watcher's lament
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'176785\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 03:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'176782\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 01:29 PM\']which made the possibility of someone using the WILD and scoring HUGE when Pat spun $5000 during the Final Spin getting two shots to knock out letters at $6k apiece -- but I've yet to see that happen (nor do I recall anyone using the Wild during the final spin round for that matter).. [/quote]
There's a good reason for that. You've probably never seen anyone use a Free Spin in the speed-up, either. That's because there's a different rule set in place after the bell. Don't take Wikipedia down to the letter.
[/quote]

Normally I don't, I only quoted it since it was the fastest "source" where I could find some sort of rule reference to it -- And although Wikipedia gets a bad rap as a reference tool for its inaccuracies, what's written in the Wiki article in this case is not necessarily untrue, it just doesn't cover EVERYTHING.  But if not Wikipedia, where else can we turn to get the answer to something like this?  There's nothing on the WOF website -- and shouldn't that be the ultimate source for WOF rules if anything?  Some may say there are a plethora of WOF tribute and info sites out there, but how are those any more reputable than Wikipedia when it all comes down to it?  

But if you're right about the speed-up, why is that never mentioned on the show (i.e., "I will now take a final spin, free spins and wild cards are now not in play..")?  It certainly isn't implied to the viewer.. As a matter of fact I've been watching Wheel somewhat regularly for at least 23 years and I can't recall EVER hearing it mentioned that free spins are not in play during the speed-up round -- (and why shouldn't they be in play anyway?) .. Sure, many rules are implied (i.e., we are never told how much vowels cost anymore), but even way back in the day when we were told things like "Once you buy a prize it's yours to keep" I can't say I ever heard them mention free spins in the speed-up.

As for the Wild Card, I was in the audience in Dallas during the first set of weeks where they introduced the Wild Card, and when Pat introduced it he said "..You can use it to call an extra letter, but we'll get to that later.." -- I was like "Wow, what's this??" .. The winners of that game eventually got to take their WC to the bonus round, but it was never explained to the audience what else it could or couldn't be used for.  You'd think during the weeks that they introduce a new element like this they'd explain all about it... so ever since I had always assumed it could be used in the speed-up .. :/

/All that being said, I venture to say you're right only because I've just never ever seen it done :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:26:47 PM by lobster »

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'176708\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 12:07 AM\']

6. Dumb puzzles. I'm fine with most of the specialty categories, although the rotation could be better (anyone else notice that "What Are You Making" and "Fictional Family" have only been used once each?). I do not like the fact, however, that they have to always tell you the occupation in a Proper Name (e.g. SINGER CARRIE UNDERWOOD instead of just CARRIE UNDERWOOD). Nor do I like seeing totally unrelated things hooked together (e.g. HIKERS BOATERS & FISHERMEN -- I can understand boaters and fishermen, as they both deal with the water, but what the hell are those hikers doing there?)
[/quote]

Because adding (unnecessary) additional words/letters gives more opportunities for the (dumb robotic) players to win EVEN MO' MONEY!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!111AT&TTCBW/BTO@TCBYINDC!!!!!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'176806\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 05:22 PM\'](and why shouldn't they be in play anyway?) [/quote] I don't see why. It's a different format. You don't get to keep calling letters until you goof in the speed round, it's one per turn. That seems to cover everything.

The winners of that game eventually got to take their WC to the bonus round, but it was never explained to the audience what else it could or couldn't be used for.  
Really? Pat doesn't ever say "Now for your fourth consonant?"
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »
This is a very vague memory, and therefore less than useless. But I seem to recall an occasion where Pat said something like "Want to use that Free Spin? No? (ding ding! ding ding) Well, you can't use it now anyway."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

lobster

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 12:12:28 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'176811\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 08:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'176806\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 05:22 PM\'](and why shouldn't they be in play anyway?) [/quote] I don't see why. It's a different format. You don't get to keep calling letters until you goof in the speed round, it's one per turn. That seems to cover everything.

The winners of that game eventually got to take their WC to the bonus round, but it was never explained to the audience what else it could or couldn't be used for.  
Really? Pat doesn't ever say "Now for your fourth consonant?"
[/quote]

key word: "else"...
He did explain they were going to get to choose a 4th consonant but only because they "saved it for the bonus round" .. he otherwise never mentioned what ELSE -- besides the bonus round -- it could be used for in that episode.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'176827\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 12:17 AM\']
[/quote]

You don't get to keep calling letters until you goof in the regular rounds either, it's one per turn -- UNLESS you have a FREE SPIN.
[/quote]

Really? I didn't know that the next player in line after you got to go next even if you called a letter that was in the puzzle.

You're joking, right?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

lobster

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'176829\' date=\'Jan 31 2008, 11:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'176827\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 12:17 AM\']
[/quote]

You don't get to keep calling letters until you goof in the regular rounds either, it's one per turn -- UNLESS you have a FREE SPIN.
[/quote]

Really? I didn't know that the next player in line after you got to go next even if you called a letter that was in the puzzle.

You're joking, right?
[/quote]

Just re-read what I wrote and your response and honestly I have no idea what the hell I was thinking.. I've been awake over 21 hours working, so perhaps I should stop taking intermittent game show forum breaks..  I really am starting to see things.  And so, for the sake of my now diminishing game show cred, I will now voluntarily isolation booth myself ..

/and will fall asleep in it