Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MBC stops online streaming  (Read 1736 times)

geno57

MBC stops online streaming
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
I got this in my email a few minutes ago.  Disappointing, to say the least.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear MBC Online User:

The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC) embraces its mission to collect and preserve vintage radio and television programming.  The online presentation of our archives has long been a key element in our fulfillment of this mission. Our desire has always been to create a highly entertaining and user friendly virtual experience.  

Since launching in July of 2007, almost 13,000 people have registered to use our online catalog featuring over 6,000 hours of digitized video.

Unfortunately, this overwhelming response exceeded our technical capacity and the resulting online experience fell far below our standards.  In December we appealed directly to our online users to help address the fiscal strain caused by our expanded offerings. The public response was disappointing.

Therefore, we have no choice but to disable the ability to stream our videos as of February 1, 2008.

This decision is necessary to improve our online experience in the short term as a more permanent solution is explored.  We will make every effort to resolve this situation in a timely manner.

You will still be able to search the complete catalog and find what programs are held in our collection.  In addition, the links to programs featured in our online exhibitions will remain active.

Sincerely,
Daniel Berger
MBC Archive Director

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'176897\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 07:41 PM\']
You will still be able to search the complete catalog and find what programs are held in our collection.
[/quote]
Here's what we have, but you can't see any of it.
That's a bummer. I was in there just last night watching an episode of the original Dream House and listened to a radio broadcast of Garry Moore hosting Take It Or Leave It.
December and January are some of the worst months to be soliciting funds, though. Gift buying in December and paying off the plastic in January.
I'm glad for the time it was up and running fully and will hope it resurrects.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:26:16 PM by Don Howard »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'176900\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 08:25 PM\']
You will still be able to search the complete catalog and find what programs are held in our collection.
[/quote]
I was in there just last night watching an episode of the original Dream House
[/quote]
Was their episode the one that was on the trading circuit?

I've never been to the MBC before, so I'm gonna hate myself if they had things as rare as non-circuit 60s Dream House.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'176911\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 09:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'176900\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 08:25 PM\']
[/quote]
I was in there just last night watching an episode of the original Dream House
[/quote]
[/quote]
Not being one of the lucky humans on the circuit, I do not know.
If this helps you, upon introduction by announcer Chet Gould, host Mike Darrow informed the audience that the wife of the championship couple had just given birth to a baby girl and would return on a future show with her husband to compete for their sixth room of furniture. Therefore, this episode began with two new couples all set to answer questions about their world of today.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:13:40 PM by Don Howard »

mcsittel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'176912\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 09:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'176911\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 09:52 PM\']
[/quote]
Not being one of the lucky humans on the circuit, I do not know.
If this helps you, upon introduction by announcer Chet Gould, host Mike Darrow informed the audience that the wife of the championship couple had just given birth to a baby girl and would return on a future show with her husband to compete for their sixth room of furniture. Therefore, this episode began with two new couples all set to answer questions about their world of today.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the one on the trading circuit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:36:37 PM by mcsittel »