Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The real thing?  (Read 5211 times)

Clay Zambo

The real thing?
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »
The vamp and main theme from PYL are available now at the Museum, courtesy of an anonymous donor.

The prize cue is up, too, but it sounds more like a midi transcription than the real thing.  Maybe it's the composer's scratch demo?  Anybody know?  It's nice to hear the theme in the clear--or am I hearing things, and this is a recreation/demo, too?

Jes' wondering.
czambo@mac.com

davemackey

The real thing?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'176943\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 08:29 AM\']
The vamp and main theme from PYL are available now at the Museum, courtesy of an anonymous donor.

The prize cue is up, too, but it sounds more like a midi transcription than the real thing.  Maybe it's the composer's scratch demo?  Anybody know?  It's nice to hear the theme in the clear--or am I hearing things, and this is a recreation/demo, too?

Jes' wondering.
[/quote]
They sound fake. Maybe Mr. Museum can explain?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
The real thing?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »
The vamp sounds like the one that was used in the pilot. Seeing as it had a different main theme, though, I'm confused as to where this mix of the two came from.

Neat, though.
@lambertman

tvwxman

The real thing?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Sounds like Midi. All Three. Pass.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:49:33 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tyshaun1

The real thing?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'176949\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 09:49 AM\']
Sounds like Midi. All Three. Pass.
[/quote]
Opening vamp and prize cue, definitely MIDI (actually sounds like the one they used on Gameshow Marathon). But the vamp does cut to the actual main theme after the ten second vamp, in the cleanest form I've ever heard it.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:27:06 AM by tyshaun1 »

Matt Ottinger

The real thing?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'176952\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 10:26 AM\']Opening vamp and prize cue, definitely MIDI (actually sounds like the one they used on Gameshow Marathon). [/quote]
Entirely possible that's what it is.  I doubt Mr. Museum would upload an exhibit from an anonymous donor that didn't have at least some sort of authenticity to it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

The real thing?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'176953\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 11:04 AM\']
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'176952\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 10:26 AM\']Opening vamp and prize cue, definitely MIDI (actually sounds like the one they used on Gameshow Marathon). [/quote]
Entirely possible that's what it is.  I doubt Mr. Museum would upload an exhibit from an anonymous donor that didn't have at least some sort of authenticity to it.
[/quote]

Makes sense.  Didn't mean to suggest otherwise; I more wondered if my ear was going.
czambo@mac.com

snowpeck

The real thing?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
I checked my tape of Game Show Marathon and yeah it definitely seems  those were the versions that were used.  Always seemed strange to me that they couldn't have dug up the original tracks for that.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Clay Zambo

The real thing?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'176960\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 02:13 PM\']
I checked my tape of Game Show Marathon and yeah it definitely seems  those were the versions that were used.  Always seemed strange to me that they couldn't have dug up the original tracks for that.
[/quote]

A friend who worked on the Marathon told me that the originals weren't useable--don't know if that meant they couldn't be found, or if the tape had had coffee spilled on it or what.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The real thing?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »
So those MIDI bits were used on GSM too? The theme's definitely production, but the other two are so MIDI that Kidsplash must be wondering how those other instruments got there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnyd1788

The real thing?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 04:07:54 PM »
It seems a little suspicious that the only cues on the site are the ones that are the most sought after from the PYL package by theme collectors...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:08:23 PM by johnnyd1788 »

snowpeck

The real thing?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
Yes, the MIDI things on the Museum site were used on GSM.  At least that's what my ear detects.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The real thing?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' post=\'176971\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 01:07 PM\']
It seems a little suspicious that the only cues on the site are the ones that are the most sought after from the PYL package by theme collectors...
[/quote]
Huh?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

The real thing?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'176973\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 05:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' post=\'176971\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 01:07 PM\']
[/quote]
Huh?
[/quote]

You know how sometimes you're in a cafe and you ask for a Coke but they bring you Pepsi, and you tell the waitress that you wanted Coke, and she says they only have Pepsi products, then you ask her why she didn't mention this when you ordered the Coke, and she says most people don't know the difference, and you say that if you wanted any old cola, you would've asked for any old cola, and she rolls her eyes and interrupts you and asks if you just want something else, and you sigh and peer at the bottom of the back of the menu, scanning the non-cola offerings, wondering why you didn't take your regular exit off the interstate...

On second thought, I have no idea what Johnny was talking about.

BrandonFG

The real thing?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'176974\' date=\'Feb 2 2008, 05:46 PM\']
You know how sometimes you're in a cafe and you ask for a Coke but they bring you Pepsi, and you tell the waitress that you wanted Coke, and she says they only have Pepsi products, then you ask her why she didn't mention this when you ordered the Coke, and she says most people don't know the difference, and you say that if you wanted any old cola, you would've asked for any old cola, and she rolls her eyes and interrupts you and asks if you just want something else, and you sigh and peer at the bottom of the back of the menu, scanning the non-cola offerings, wondering why you didn't take your regular exit off the interstate...

On second thought, I have no idea what Johnny was talking about.
[/quote]
This post wins.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!