Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scrabble Sprint  (Read 1925 times)

jmangin

Scrabble Sprint
« on: February 04, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
According to wikipedia...
If all letters except the last letter were revealed and the player did not know the word, he/she could allow five seconds to run off the clock without hitting the plunger to avoid the ten-second penalty, but he/she was then required to play a make-up word.

(1) If a player revealed all but the last letter but hit the plunger and then provided an incorrect guess, am I correct in thinking that not only were they assessed a ten-second penalty but they also had to play a make-up word?

(2) If I remember correctly, make-up words were generally 5 or 6 letters in length, not necessarily the length of the word it was replacing.  Is that true?

(3) What happened if the player failed to solve a make-up word after revealing all but one letter?  Was another make-up word required?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'177106\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 10:22 AM\']
(1) If a player revealed all but the last letter but hit the plunger and then provided an incorrect guess, am I correct in thinking that not only were they assessed a ten-second penalty but they also had to play a make-up word?[/quote]
Absolutely.
(2) If I remember correctly, make-up words were generally 5 or 6 letters in length, not necessarily the length of the word it was replacing.  Is that true?
I remember them being closer to 6 ot 7 letters, but other'n that, yes, the alternate word(s) did not match the replaced word in length.
(3) What happened if the player failed to solve a make-up word after revealing all but one letter?  Was another make-up word required?
I think so. I'm pretty sure that you had to give four (or three, depending on the format) correct answers to finish.

During the Sang debacle (or any other time, for that matter) did the clock ever top out at 99.9 seconds? I know it happened once or twice on Go, and they just called it and called the other team down to beat 99 seconds.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'177106\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 02:22 PM\'](1) If a player revealed all but the last letter but hit the plunger and then provided an incorrect guess, am I correct in thinking that not only were they assessed a ten-second penalty but they also had to play a make-up word?[/quote]

Yes. This happened to Sang.

[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'177106\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 02:22 PM\'](2) If I remember correctly, make-up words were generally 5 or 6 letters in length, not necessarily the length of the word it was replacing.  Is that true?[/quote]

Probably. I've only ever seen a make up come into play two or three times, and all those times, it was a 5 letter word.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177116\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 11:47 AM\']During the Sang debacle (or any other time, for that matter) did the clock ever top out at 99.9 seconds? I know it happened once or twice on Go, and they just called it and called the other team down to beat 99 seconds.[/quote]The clock would roll over to 00.0 and continue to count up. I don't remember how they dealt with having 02.5 on the clock when the time to beat was 102.5, but I doubt the producers were concerned that the second contestant would do worse than 99.9.
Travis L. Eberle

HairMetalLives

Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
I have about a half dozen episodes with make-up words and all but one have five letter words. The other time, a seven letter word was used.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'177122\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 12:04 PM\']102.5[/quote]

\Best radio station in Seattle
\\That's not saying much

jmangin

Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
One more question, but not specifically about the Sprint.

Player A picks the third stopper.  Player B can either guess the word or play speedword.  What happens if Player B is wrong with their guess rather than going to speedword?  Does Player A get to play the word alone?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Scrabble Sprint
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'177164\' date=\'Feb 4 2008, 06:55 PM\']
Player A picks the third stopper.  Player B can either guess the word or play speedword.  What happens if Player B is wrong with their guess rather than going to speedword?  Does Player A get to play the word alone?
[/quote]
I'll be interested to hear the answer to this one. My gut would say that it kicks back to Player A with the same option, because locking the player out of Speedword when it technically hasn't even started yet seems like too big of a penalty. But that's just my gut.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe