Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need help Identifying a show  (Read 2812 times)

house141

Need help Identifying a show
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
Newbie here guys, so bear with me. I am looking for the name of a show and if anyone knows where i can find more info that would be great too. I believe it was late 80's possibly early 90's It was a game show where contestants were put in an old western ghost town. they dressed up in cowboy gear and had to perform western themed events and challenges. I was thinking that it was somehow tied to stunt men and possibly old western stunts etc. Any help is appreciated.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
The only show I can think of that fits your description would have been "Wild West Showdown", which ran weekly in syndication from 1994-95.

house141

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'176864\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 01:45 PM\']
The only show I can think of that fits your description would have been "Wild West Showdown", which ran weekly in syndication from 1994-95.
[/quote]
i bet that was it, anyone know how i can get a hold of some episodes?

Allstar87

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems like Wild West Showdown's one show that's completely eluded traders. I've never seen it in anyone's collection.

dzinkin

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:40:47 PM »
Here is a site with some pics, at least.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'176873\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 02:40 PM\']
Here is a site with some pics, at least.[/quote]
My Game Show Home Game Home Page motto has always been "Because everybody needs to be an expert about something."  The site you linked to is a delightful example of that.  What an interesting pursuit.

As for Wild West Showdown, I thought I might have an old VHS of an episode, but I can't seem to find it.  It was basically an American Gladiators rip-off homage with a core set of "bad guys" (and gals) trying to keep the "good guy" contestants from successfully completing a variety of western-themed tasks.  Character actor Alex Cord played a stereotypically laconic western "host", Joe Fowler handled the play-by-play of the action and Lisa Guerrero, who went on to some success as a sports babe and as the interviewer on World Series Of Pop Culture, handled the interviews as newspaper reporter K.C. Clark.  (She was known as Lisa Coles at the time)

I have in my notes that somebody told me there was a handheld game called Wild West Showdown that was specifically based on the series, but I've never been able to find it to add it to my GSHGHP site.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'176878\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 03:22 PM\']
I have in my notes that somebody told me there was a handheld game called Wild West Showdown that was specifically based on the series, but I've never been able to find it to add it to my GSHGHP site.
[/quote]
Could this be it?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'176878\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 12:22 PM\']
[/quote]
You mean, this one, sir? :)

(I note that it has little if nothing to do with the actual show, so maybe that isn't it, but I also know that that isn't uncommon with Tiger-licensed products.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:40:27 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'176881\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 03:36 PM\']Could this be it?[/quote]
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'176882\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 03:36 PM\']You mean, this one, sir? :)[/quote]
Well, thank you boys!  There are a very few items like that for which I had kinda stopped checking Ebay listings.  And for sixty bucks, that one will remain outside my collection anyway.  Besides, with a pretty generic title, no discernible copyright except for Tiger itself, and a copyright date which does not appear to read '1994', I'm thinking this is a coincidence and not a legitimate tie-in.

Still, good information.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
Well, the question is, was that "one season" the '93-'94 season, or the '94-'95 one? Because it could easily be a '93 trademark if the former, right?

Still might be coincidental, and no question that $60 is wayyyyyy overpriced (and looking at Google indicated that the seller was asking only $30 for it at one point), but I think the possibility at least still exists that it's a tie-in.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'176886\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 05:08 PM\']
Well, the question is, was that "one season" the '93-'94 season, or the '94-'95 one?
[/quote]
From what I remember, the latter.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
Geez, you'd think a show with girls in tight jeans carrying guns could have lasted three years on that alone.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:23:32 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'176924\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 10:53 PM\']
Geez, you'd think a show with girls in tight jeans carrying guns could have lasted three years on that alone.
[/quote]

I agree with you (in a tongue in cheek way, of course) that such a premise could've made it on just those two points -- hell, the "girls in tight jeans" part might be is enough to draw me in.

Seriously, though, the format of this thing doesn't look abyssmal, by 1994 or 2008 standards. As Ottinger pointed out, it was derivative of American Gladiators, but it has arou... um, make that piqued my curiosity.