Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article about 'Moment of Truth' and effects on employment  (Read 4196 times)

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Article about 'Moment of Truth' and effects on employment
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
Link to article at CNNMoney.com

Begin discussion.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:05:42 PM by mparrish11 »
--Matt

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Is there anything to discuss?  The only affect on employment would be on those greedy and/or stupid enough to reveal such information on TV.  If you're stupid enough to reveal such workplace incidents on TV, you deserve to be fired.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'177183\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 10:26 AM\']
Is there anything to discuss?  The only affect on employment would be on those greedy and/or stupid enough to reveal such information on TV.[/quote]
...in other words, pretty much any Moment of Truth contestant.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robair

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
No, the only real effect on employment is that Mark L. Walberg is eating Vienna sausages only five nights a week instead of all seven.
--Robair

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'177203\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 01:37 PM\']
No, the only real effect on employment is that Mark L. Walberg is eating Vienna sausages only five nights a week instead of all seven.
[/quote]
I haven't been able to eat Vienna sausages since first grade, when a classmate compared them to a certain part of the anatomy. Dunno why the phobia is limited to those and not other sausages, but there it is.

/my work here is finished

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177204\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 04:51 PM\']
I haven't been able to eat Vienna sausages since first grade, when a classmate compared them to a certain part of the anatomy. Dunno why the phobia is limited to those and not other sausages, but there it is.
[/quote]
-Milk
-Bread
-Brain Bleach

/Jumbo bottle
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »
Chris Lemon wrote:
I haven't been able to eat Vienna sausages since first grade, when a classmate compared them to a certain part of the anatomy.  Dunno why the phobia is limited to those and not other sausages, but there it is.
Other sausages are too big?

:-p

(Hey, you left a curveball hanging right over the plate....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'177203\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 03:37 PM\']
[/quote]

Last night on "Chelsea Lately," Walberg said that it is difficult at times for him to look in the contestants' eyes and read some of the questions he has to read.  He then said, "but then I remind myself that I have to put the kids through private school."

Guess "Antiques Roadshow" doesn't cut it by itself.

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'177285\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 12:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'177203\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 03:37 PM\']
[/quote]

Last night on "Chelsea Lately," Walberg said that it is difficult at times for him to look in the contestants' eyes and read some of the questions he has to read.  He then said, "but then I remind myself that I have to put the kids through private school."

Guess "Antiques Roadshow" doesn't cut it by itself.
[/quote]
Having met Mark (and FYI, I think he's a really nice guy), he is very matter-of-fact about this, his prior jobs, and his attitude towards the business. He, like many of us, wishes he was doing classy, feel-good, educational television, but he's also quite happy to do this, if it means (sorta) steady work.

He isn't the first person to sell his soul to the TV devil to be successful on air, and he sure as hell won't be the last.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'177290\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 12:20 PM\']
Having met Mark (and FYI, I think he's a really nice guy), he is very matter-of-fact about this, his prior jobs, and his attitude towards the business. He, like many of us, wishes he was doing classy, feel-good, educational television, but he's also quite happy to do this, if it means (sorta) steady work.

He isn't the first person to sell his soul to the TV devil to be successful on air, and he sure as hell won't be the last.
[/quote]

What I'm wondering here is that there has to be some discomfort level at WGBH and PBS about Mark's new job.  Considering that public broadcasting attracts the elitist crackpots who will scream "sell out!" and "dumbing down!" about anything (and I do mean anything), is having as the host of your benign little antiques evaluation show the same guy who asks people if they've stopped beating their wife yet over on Fox a potential liability?

I would assume that Mark has talked to his bosses at WGBH and that they don't see it as a problem.  However, Mark is the third host of "Antiques Roadshow" in its history and I think everyone knows that he isn't the reason people tune in.  They can easily find someone else to do what he does.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:53:38 PM by uncamark »

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'177282\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 08:09 AM\']
Other sausages are too big?
:-p
(Hey, you left a curveball hanging right over the plate....)
[/quote]
Sadly, t'ain't libel when it's true.

/bravo

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'177299\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 11:53 AM\']However, Mark is the third host of "Antiques Roadshow" in its history and I think everyone knows that he isn't the reason people tune in.[/quote]
Nope. I, for one, tune in to watch people get completely pwned when they find out that the multimillion-dollar antique diamond ring they found in their walls is paste.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'177290\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 10:20 AM\']Last night on "Chelsea Lately," Walberg said that it is difficult at times for him to look in the contestants' eyes and read some of the questions he has to read.  He then said, "but then I remind myself that I have to put the kids through private school."
Guess "Antiques Roadshow" doesn't cut it by itself.[/quote]I wonder if Mark gets all of these jobs because he's willing to take the gigs that no one else will touch. Of course, if he turns up his nose at something, well, he has his pride, but no money, and maybe the opportunities dry up. I certainly don't think any less of the guy for looking out for his family.

As to the notion that appearing on the show would bring about termination, I can't believe that it took me as long as it did to figure out that there must be a team of investigators combing over the past history of the contestant in order to find out the juiciest bits of information: it's not a standardized quiz, after all. It would not surprise me at all to find out that the contestants don't have any idea about that beforehand.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:22:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'177331\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 09:12 PM\']
It would not surprise me at all to find out that the contestants don't have any idea about that beforehand.
[/quote]
But they're gonna find out when they're taking the test that the answers are based on, because they have to be asked the questions. Nothing's stopping them from getting up and walking then.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
Last night was weird.

He admits to stealing from his coworkers and from costumers  but lies about stuffing his underwear??

If he still worked as a waiter, he is certain to be fired.  It can't be good for business to have someone who admitted to comitting credit card fruad in your restaurant.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:03:26 PM by Chuck Sutton »