Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The knights who say "nerd": 20 pop-cultural obsessions even  (Read 5297 times)

mrmatchgame

The knights who say "nerd": 20 pop-cultural obsessions even
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
Article Link: http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_...y_nerd_20_pop/3

15. Game-show tape trading
Pity the poor game-show fans, who've been either pandered to or ignored by the major networks for the past decade, and have seen their one TV refuge—the Game Show Network—gradually shed its retro programming in favor of less appealing originals. So the stalwarts gather on the Internet, offering videocassettes and DVD-Rs of Classic Concentration and The Joker's Wild, and comparing notes about the greatest hosts, the greatest contestants, the greatest celebrity guests, and the greatest eras of long-running series. And the really faithful gather in person at the Game Show Congress in Los Angeles, where they attend panels, meet legends, and play the games themselves. The ranks of those who remember Bullseye and Blockbusters may be dwindling, but they're all going to go down together.

Allstar87

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
I'm surprised to be game show tape trading, my biggest hobby, in there. I'm even more surprised to see four of my other hobbies in there.

I never knew I was THAT nerdy...

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »
Just fantasy sports leagues for me.  And I'm usually only in one or two at a time.

they're all going to go down together.

Nothing personal, but when I... ah, never mind.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »
[quote name=\'mrmatchgame\' post=\'177197\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 03:36 PM\']
Article Link: http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_...y_nerd_20_pop/3[/quote]

Could someone post the full list, please? That link keeps crashing my computer.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
Hmm, would that run afoul of "fair use"?  Or be a spoiler?  I think I'm too new here to risk that.

But I will note that
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_...y_nerd_20_pop/2

includes not only #13, Doctor Who, but a YouTube posted clip of The Weakest Link with a contestant, er, um, never mind, that would be a spoiler.

(And in case that link also crashes your computer, here's the YouTube clip:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtdGwiMtZ08 )
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:49:27 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mrmatchgame\' post=\'177197\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 04:36 PM\']
Article Link: http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_...y_nerd_20_pop/3

15. Game-show tape trading
Pity the poor game-show fans, who've been either pandered to or ignored by the major networks for the past decade, and have seen their one TV refuge—the Game Show Network—gradually shed its retro programming in favor of less appealing originals. So the stalwarts gather on the Internet, offering videocassettes and DVD-Rs of Classic Concentration and The Joker's Wild, and comparing notes about the greatest hosts, the greatest contestants, the greatest celebrity guests, and the greatest eras of long-running series. And the really faithful gather in person at the Game Show Congress in Los Angeles, where they attend panels, meet legends, and play the games themselves. The ranks of those who remember Bullseye and Blockbusters may be dwindling, but they're all going to go down together.
[/quote]

And all this coming from a group of alleged non-geeky, sane people who spend all their free time ripping on minutiae.  Honestly, game show tape collecting pales in comparison to Soap Operas (and the fans who think this stuff is REAL -- see Betty, Nurse), Jerry Springer-type talk shows, Jackass wanna-bes, and people who camp outside of Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving Night just to get Chinese no-name products that crap out within the first 6 months of usage.

Our little group of traders & fans is equal to less than .01% of the number of people in the other 19 categories!!  C'mon, guys...You can do better than that!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:03:13 PM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »
Ya know, it seems to me that being indignant about this would be really really telling. Just sayin'.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'177231\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 10:02 PM\']And all this coming from a group of alleged non-geeky, sane people who spend all their free time ripping on minutiae.  Honestly, game show tape collecting pales in comparison to Soap Operas (and the fans who think this stuff is REAL -- see Betty, Nurse)[/quote]
Um...you do know SHE'S not real either, right?  Possibly not the best example to make your point.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'177234\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 11:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'177231\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 10:02 PM\']And all this coming from a group of alleged non-geeky, sane people who spend all their free time ripping on minutiae.  Honestly, game show tape collecting pales in comparison to Soap Operas (and the fans who think this stuff is REAL -- see Betty, Nurse)[/quote]
Um...you do know SHE'S not real either, right?  Possibly not the best example to make your point.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know that...But I am probably safe to say that there are other Betty's out there in the world -- real and/or ugly.  :)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:42:26 AM »
I don't really get involved with game show tape trading.  I'm too busy with my TV GUIDE collection. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
LOL on the TV Guide collection...

I'm not sure whether I should be upset or not that all of my hobbies and interests were missed by this list.  I don't count as a tape trader.  I suppose I can admit to knowing some Star Trek quotes.  

Yeah, and I never make the People list of "Most Intriguing People" either.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »
Actually, the whole tone of the article was more affectionate than anything else, since I think the people who write for the back of the Onion realize that they're geeky in what they write about, too.

Except for that bitch Amelie Gillette.  She didn't have anything to do with this article, did she?

Sodboy13

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'177288\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 11:50 AM\']
Actually, the whole tone of the article was more affectionate than anything else, since I think the people who write for the back of the Onion realize that they're geeky in what they write about, too.

Except for that bitch Amelie Gillette.  She didn't have anything to do with this article, did she?
[/quote]

No, mercifully.

/"I am so much better than all of you, and all of my subject matter!  My inability to enjoy anything defines my superiority!"
//totally has "I Heart Zach Braff" scrawled all over her notebook
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »
I don't really get involved with game show tape trading. I'm too busy with my TV GUIDE collection. :)

Who says you can't have both?  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'177288\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 12:50 PM\']
[/quote]
The comments however, seem to be horrifically against us.  Yet, I'm sure if it was Dr. Who episode traders, it would be considered essential.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.