Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Live  (Read 24663 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Live
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178319\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 06:57 AM\']
In other words, what might be rerun-abused to one viewer, may not be rerun-abused to another viewer.
[/quote]
More specifically, what might be rerun-abuse to one viewer, is very likely not rerun-abuse to MANY MANY THOUSANDS OF VIEWERS.

You own a TV network specializing in game shows. You can put together a program library that can appease a certain audience, or, at significantly greater expense, you can put together a program library that appeases that same audience plus a very very small number (as in, unmeasurable by Nielsen standards) of additional viewers.

Oh, and those viewers who are upset that the first library isn't targeted to them? Most of them are WATCHING ANYHOW.

What are you going to do?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:02:01 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178352\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 03:00 PM\']What are you going to do?
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing?

clemon79

GSN Live
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178357\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 12:15 PM\']
Absolutely nothing?
[/quote]
Right. That tells me everything I need to know.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Live
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'178307\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 03:31 AM\']Having more classics, or more episodes of the classics, definitely would be nice.  But as Mr. Eberle pointed out (and as others have pointed out before him), most people don't notice.  Some of us notice, because we're the hardcore fans — but if GSN spends its efforts and money appealing only to us, it won't be around for much longer because there simply aren't enough of us to matter in the grand scheme of things.

If GSN's executives could make more money for the network with more classics, or more episodes of the classic shows they have, they'd do it in a heartbeat, because most of them are fans of the classics themselves.  But it doesn't, so they don't.[/quote]I live to serve. My original draft was going to ask our fellow game show lover to put up the coin so GSN could lease the proper seasons of Pyramid.

I don't understand: It doesn't take that many synapses to understand that GSN is a business, and not a charity channel for the game show fans. And yet we get people who say "GSN should do this," "why do they constantly run the same old stuff," and the thing that really frosts my birthday cake, "rerun-abuse."

I have two guesses: either we're being tweaked by someone who really knows better, but thinks it's fun to watch us react to his pitching a hissy, or more likely, it's some youngster still living at home, who is used to Mommy giving him whatever he wants with the bat of an eyelash, and the notion of the 'real' world is foreign to him. Which is too bad, unless he already has "Would you like fries with that?" memorized.

[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178295\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 10:43 PM\']I'd rather watch GSN than watch, listen, and read about today's bullcrap.[/quote]Seeing this, I think it's the latter. Someone who would complain about the state of GSN but STILL WATCH ALL THE SAME is showing the paragon of irrationality, and should be taken seriously at the same level as your average teenager.

To gameshowlover87, grow up. Read a newspaper. Go outside and interact with the world. You'll be better for it.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Live
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 02:03:11 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'178409\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 12:50 AM\']
I don't understand: It doesn't take that many synapses to understand that GSN is a business, and not a charity channel for the game show fans. And yet we get people who say "GSN should do this," "why do they constantly run the same old stuff," and the thing that really frosts my birthday cake, "rerun-abuse."[/quote]

Truth. I mean, yeah, I may bitch and you may bitch about certain things they have run or don't have-maybe not to the degree gslover does, but you know what? We (and probably most of the others here) have enough sense in our heads to know that GSN isn't going to bend to our whims and to demand that they do so is pointless. (Besides, I think we know what would happen if any one of us was put in charge of programming there...pure, unadulterated anarchy. ;))

It comes back to an old saying that I think applies here: IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU'RE WATCHING, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. And maybe even further I can add another point: a major outlet, whether it be television network or newspaper, is not going to care what one person thinks. (Re: a discussion I had with someone over high school football coverage in New Jersey. They said to me that they would try to organize a boycott of the paper being criticized. I said that they wouldn't care- it wouldn't make enough of a dent in their readership to matter. When the guy countered with 'if enough do it, they might take notice,' I said, "if you're only buying the paper for the high school sports coverage then you seriously need to consider why you're buying the paper in the first place." I also brought up the fact that the paper has one of the largest circulations in the country-15th in 2006, I couldn't find any more current data- and he shut right up.)

I have two guesses: either we're being tweaked by someone who really knows better, but thinks it's fun to watch us react to his pitching a hissy, or more likely, it's some youngster still living at home, who is used to Mommy giving him whatever he wants with the bat of an eyelash, and the notion of the 'real' world is foreign to him. Which is too bad, unless he already has "Would you like fries with that?" memorized.

I would use a word that rhymes with "Dole," but I don't think that it really applies. I'd lean more towards the former, to tell you the truth.

[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178295\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 10:43 PM\']I'd rather watch GSN than watch, listen, and read about today's bullcrap.
Seeing this, I think it's the latter. Someone who would complain about the state of GSN but STILL WATCH ALL THE SAME is showing the paragon of irrationality, and should be taken seriously at the same level as your average teenager.

To gameshowlover87, grow up. Read a newspaper. Go outside and interact with the world. You'll be better for it.
[/quote]

Cheers, Travis. I wish I said it better the first time, but he obviously didn't get it and probably still won't.

gameshowlover87, there's a place for you. It's called the GSN Forums. Use them.

(BTW, David...appreciated the joke before, but my point still is the same. People talk about how the American public doesn't seem to care about what's going on in the world...it's not because they don't know, it's because they don't want to know. And they don't care.

And I think perhaps it's time to take this discussion in another direction because I don't think anything more can come from it that's good.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

xavier45

GSN Live
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178412\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 02:03 AM\']
gameshowlover87, there's a place for you. It's called the GSN Forums. Use them.
[/quote]
He does, and believe me it is the same thing over there. I like to call him "The Impossible Questionaire", because almost all of his posts are questions that Randy West would not even be able to answer.

I think mostly everything was said here. I just want to add one more thing about this so-called "Rerun Abuse". When GSN aired the Pyramid marathon this past New Year's, every single episode was new to me. And lots of people say that the 86-87 season was abused. I don't see how because I didn't see that many episodes from it. As someone said "What is rerun abused to one person, is not rerun abused for the other".

And I think perhaps it's time to take this discussion in another direction because I don't think anything more can come from it that's good.)
And I have some not so great news. According to the Perf, Wink Martindale was told after rehearsals of Live that "There would not be enough time for interviews." So there will not be any Wink, Monty, or Marshall in GSN Live's Future, for now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:45:02 AM by xavier45 »

dzinkin

GSN Live
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178412\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 02:03 AM\']
(BTW, David...appreciated the joke before, but my point still is the same. People talk about how the American public doesn't seem to care about what's going on in the world...it's not because they don't know, it's because they don't want to know. And they don't care.
[/quote]
This part I actually can understand to some extent.  When pretty much every politician in Washington, DC is an idiot, a sleazeball, or both — and everything that goes on in the world is described based on what those idiots and sleazeballs think of it — it's not hard to see why people stop caring.

But there is a world of difference between "I don't care what's going on in the news" and "I don't care about anything that goes on outside GSN."  And what we're seeing here is clearly the latter.

[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'178422\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 08:28 AM\']
As someone said "What is rerun abused to one person, is not rerun abused for the other".
[/quote]
And again, the larger point is that it's not "rerun abused" for the vast majority of those who watch GSN.  They don't know what "rerun abuse" means, they don't care, and they don't notice that the shows have been rerun multiple times.  And as Chris correctly noted, the few people who do notice and whine about "rerun abuse" watch it anyway.  So why would GSN change what it's doing?

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
I apologize for coming off as a jerk on these boards.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:36:10 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Matt Ottinger

GSN Live
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178425\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 10:09 AM\']
Look, I apologize for coming off as a jerk on these boards. Can we please get this thread back on topic?
[/quote]
As we like to say around here, fixed that for you.

A snotty apology really doesn't score you a lot of points on this board.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Live
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
[/quote]

Too late.

And since you're the one who veered this thread so far off topic, you really don't have any reason to ask it to go back...now DO YOU?

/Yes, I'm piling on
//Is that so bad in this case?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:56:39 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178445\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 02:56 PM\']
[/quote]

Too late.

And since you're the one who veered this thread so far off topic, you really don't have any reason to ask it to go back...now DO YOU?

/Yes, I'm piling on
[/quote]

I do have a reason for this thread to go back on topic; I promise never to say anything stupid like that ever again. I really mean it.

BrandonFG

GSN Live
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178445\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 02:56 PM\']
Too late.

/Yes, I'm piling on
[/quote]
In this case, I say so. He made an apology for overreacting, so no sense in continuing to rake him over the coals.

Now, if he doesn't learn from this incident, that's another story.

ETA: I just read the original statement, quoted in Michi-Matt's post. Sorry bout that, ummm, no it's not a bad thing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:37:02 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

GSN Live
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
That said, he's realized his error and promised not to repeat it.

THAT said, it's his future actions that will tell the tale, not his promises.

/in other words, what Brandon said and then crossed out

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Live
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178412\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 11:03 PM\']And I think perhaps it's time to take this discussion in another direction because I don't think anything more can come from it that's good.)[/quote]I don't have a problem with this line of discussion, since I think these people should be routinely and repeatedly disabused of the notion that GSN exists solely for their own amusement/tape collection. Because it doesn't seem to be getting through.

That said, the notion of stretching three half hours into 120 minutes becomes far less interesting an idea if there aren't any interviews or stuff.

[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178425\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 07:09 AM\']I apologize for coming off as a jerk on these boards.[/quote]I'd believe you except Matt caught you playing the "I'm sorry you feel that way" card, and it's too late anyway, you can't unring a bell. Your best bet is to change and hope people have short memories.
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

GSN Live
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
Meanwhile, back on the topic, with host interviews being eliminated, does this mean the call for contestants who appeared on game shows pre-1990 has also been pulled from the plans?