Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tornado hits Steve Beverly's university in TN  (Read 4782 times)

Offshored2007

Tornado hits Steve Beverly's university in TN
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »
The severe weather (tornadoes) that hit areas of the south did considerable damage to Union University in Jackson, TN, where Steve "tvgameshows.net" Beverly teaches.  Fortunately, nobody was killed, but there were many injuries.  Steve posted an update on his website .

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »
For all our grumbling about the Prof, the situation down there is pretty bad - dorms bashed in, etc. I have another friend who works at the newspaper down there, and he is very relieved to have survived. I wish them all well.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »
Seconded. They're out of commission schoolwise until at least late Feb. Prayers for them all in their time of need.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
Thirded. Perf receives lots of flack around here, but I couldn't imagine what he and the others in Jackson are experiencing. My best wishes to them during this time.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

xavier45

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Same here. Best wishes to them.

snowpeck

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
I can't imagine if something like that happened here on the other side of the state.  My thoughts are with him and everyone else affected by the storm system.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
You can say what you want about his journalistic qualities, but at the end of the day, he's still a person. And I wouldn't wish that horror on anybody. Thoughts to him.

narzo

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
I tried to look online to see if there's anyplace we can donate to help out the poor folks in that area.  If anyone knows of anyplace please post it.  I'm guessing the Red Cross probably has offices in the area, that might be one idea.  I just feel like I want to help, it's so tragic.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
There are many nasty things I would never wish on anyone, and this is one of them.  Glad to hear that the Perfessor is doing well.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

tvmitch

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:22 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'177327\' date=\'Feb 6 2008, 10:16 PM\']
I tried to look online to see if there's anyplace we can donate to help out the poor folks in that area.  If anyone knows of anyplace please post it.  I'm guessing the Red Cross probably has offices in the area, that might be one idea.  I just feel like I want to help, it's so tragic.
[/quote]
I believe there was a mention on the Today Show that Red Cross is accepting money donations. That might just be the way to go.

Those folks are going to need a lot of help, and our thoughts are with them. It's miraculous that there were only injuries at Union. The pictures coming out of that scene are just unreal.
You should follow me on Twitter

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »
Wow...I guess I should be glad we only got a foot of snow out of this.

Offshored2007

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'177345\' date=\'Feb 7 2008, 01:05 PM\']
Wow...I guess I should be glad we only got a foot of snow out of this.
[/quote]
Update from Steve's website Full info there, I am posting the snail mail address here.  Checks only, no Paypal setup.

UNION UNIVERSITY DISASTER RELIEF FUND
1050 UNION UNIVERSITY DRIVE
JACKSON, TN. 38305

Checks should be made to Union University Disaster Relief Fund.

I'd rather send the money directly.  The Red Cross has had some issues lately, including a huge fine regarding the collection and storage of blood.

geno57

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »
At the risk of sounding cold ...

1) The university is fully insured for its property losses.

2) Any money you send to Union University, will directly benefit the Southern Baptist Church and everything it stands for.  Your mileage may vary on whether or not that's a good thing.

IMHO, the Red Cross is a much better organization to trust your money to.  Through them, you can actually earmark your funds, directly to all of the tornado victims who need it.  If some of the Union U students or faculty members need it, they have as much right to it as anyone.

dzinkin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'177408\' date=\'Feb 8 2008, 06:12 PM\']
2) Any money you send to Union University, will directly benefit the Southern Baptist Church and everything it stands for.  Your mileage may vary on whether or not that's a good thing.
[/quote]
I'm by no means a fan of the Southern Baptist Church, but if you give to the Red Cross, you're giving to a group that's acquiesced to antisemitism.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:25:01 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'177409\' date=\'Feb 8 2008, 03:24 PM\']
I'm by no means a fan of the Southern Baptist Church, but if you give to the Red Cross, you're giving to a group that's acquiesced to antisemitism.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
[/quote]
True, but there is a value to getting the information out there (as you and Geno have both done) so that people can make up their own mind.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe