Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tornado hits Steve Beverly's university in TN  (Read 4783 times)

dzinkin

Tornado hits Steve Beverly's university in TN
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177410\' date=\'Feb 8 2008, 06:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'177409\' date=\'Feb 8 2008, 03:24 PM\']
I'm by no means a fan of the Southern Baptist Church, but if you give to the Red Cross, you're giving to a group that's acquiesced to antisemitism.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
[/quote]
True, but there is a value to getting the information out there (as you and Geno have both done) so that people can make up their own mind.
[/quote]
Oh, I completely agree.  For what it's worth, I almost wrote "there's no charity that doesn't have some unpleasantness attached" but I'd like to think I haven't become that cynical.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'177411\' date=\'Feb 8 2008, 03:33 PM\']
Oh, I completely agree.  For what it's worth, I almost wrote "there's no charity that doesn't have some unpleasantness attached" but I'd like to think I haven't become that cynical.
[/quote]
I don't even think *I'M* that cynical. There's gotta be ONE. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

geno57

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 04:02:53 AM »
I know we're veering totally OT here, but fill me in on the Red Cross' anti-Semitism.  Because that would be a very important consideration for me.

dzinkin

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'177439\' date=\'Feb 9 2008, 04:02 AM\']
I know we're veering totally OT here, but fill me in on the Red Cross' anti-Semitism.  Because that would be a very important consideration for me.
[/quote]
In a nutshell: the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has a long history of antisemitism, and when Bernadine Healy became president of the American Red Cross (ARC), she decided to raise the issue and try to put a stop to it.  The ICRC didn't like it — among other things, equating the Star of David to a swastika — and pressured the ARC to get rid of Healy, which they did.  For more see here, here and here, among others.

This is why, when Katrina hit, I donated to a smaller charity rather than the ARC.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:53:25 AM by dzinkin »

narzo

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 06:02:18 AM »
Even if the school does have insurance have you ever known an insurance policy to cover ALL the damage?  

Plus there will be needs that the people will have, how to feed the staff/students for instance, that no insurance policy will cover.  I have almost ZERO in common with the beliefs of the Church where the money is going but they're getting a check from me.  I'm not going to NOT help someone because I don't agree with them completely.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Wait, wait... so this fight is ostensibly because the Muslims get a symbol that's not a cross, but Israel doesn't?

This whole thing is full of stupidity.  Plenty to go around for everyone.

note to Zinkin: I didn't read the article as comparing the Star of David to a swastika.  I did read that the International Red Cross didn't want to be in the position of letting every country have its own symbol -- especially since the swastika didn't historically have the negative connotation it garnered during the 20th century, and since it still doesn't in much of Asia.  Now you can argue that they let that horse out of the barn already with the crescent, but still it seems like people are reaching here.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

dzinkin

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'177492\' date=\'Feb 10 2008, 09:58 AM\']
Wait, wait... so this fight is ostensibly because the Muslims get a symbol that's not a cross, but Israel doesn't?
[/quote]
Um, no.  It's also about how, among other things, the ICRC criticizes Israel for restricting the travel of Red Crescent ambulances even though it's been documented that they've been used to bring bombs and suicide bombers into Israel.

EDIT: Years later, the ICRC finally did let Israel in -- but only after Israel's Mogen David Adom changed its symbol from the Star of David to a red diamond called the "Red Crystal."  Israel has to put a small star inside the crystal, while the red crescent and red cross are allowed to stand alone.  So it was never about "another symbol," it was about one specific symbol that they didn't want.

This whole thing is full of stupidity.  Plenty to go around for everyone.
Few things enrage me more than moral equivalence when it comes to clear, unmitigated antisemitism.

And since we've gone far enough off topic as it is, I think it's time to end the thread.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:51:29 AM by dzinkin »