Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Change In TPIR MDS...  (Read 11500 times)

CJBojangles

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
Marc over at G-R.net just confirmed that the show will be shot in HD. And I assume 16:9 as well, given the shot of a backstage monitor during the show's intro, shown in this Insider spot. Thoughts?

Clay Zambo

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'177745\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 12:23 AM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'177741\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 08:54 PM\']
...as soon as you're *not* perfect (say, a prize out of order in Hole In One) you've basically lost, yet still have the rest of the game to play. It would effectively make the car a consolation prize.
[/quote]
Precisely what I was gonna say. The downer of "Aw, you can't win a million dollars, but you can still win a prize! is gonna make for bad TV.
[/quote]

No more than, "You didn't get the dollar in your bonus spin, but you're still in the showcase."  Your point is taken, but I think it can be spun so that a "normal" win isn't a downer.
czambo@mac.com

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'177770\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 09:07 AM\']
the show will be shot in HD. And I assume 16:9 as well
[/quote]

All HD is 16:9. So........
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'177770\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 07:07 AM\']
Marc over at G-R.net just confirmed that the show will be shot in HD. And I assume 16:9 as well, given the shot of a backstage monitor during the show's intro, shown in this Insider spot. Thoughts?
[/quote]
Welcome to the 21st century? :) About friggin' time? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'177703\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 04:49 PM\']
The only thing that bugs me about this is that where before, each contestant who won his way on stage had a chance (albeit a very small one) to win the $1 million, now, only the contestant who was lucky enough to be on stage when the million dollar game is played gets that chance. [/quote]
If I got to come on down, my odds of having a shot at a million are so much better than the other 300 people who have to sit and watch. I'll take that anyday.

Besides, not everybody on the Price is Right can go up and play Plinko. Or a car game, at that. I'm sure college kids love it when they're playing Double Prices for an armoire and a Grandfather clock. Here's the way I see it: one person is going to get a fighting chance at the million before the wheel possibly puts two complete idiots in the showcase. Besides, it's an MDS. Regardless of whether you get to play a MDPG or not, you're gonna play for some really nice stuff.

Personally, I would have liked to see them use the Aussie Showcase round for the million (i.e. putting the prices of the showcase prizes from lowest to highest). But that's not gonna happen anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:40:24 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ClockGameJohn

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
Most people who read my posts already know I'm not a big fan of $1MTPiR, but from reading some of the ideas here, it almost sounds like we have CBS Executives posting here ;)

byrd62

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
While we're second-guessing, how about retaining the <$250 rule for the DSW, but give away the $1 million only if the showcase bid is exactly right, which has never happened, at least not on the CBS versions?

TenPoundHammer

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'177841\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 07:59 PM\']
While we're second-guessing, how about retaining the <$250 rule for the DSW, but give away the $1 million only if the showcase bid is exactly right, which has never happened, at least not on the CBS versions?
[/quote]

Literally thousands and thousands of episodes of TPIR over the years, and only once in their history has someone ever hit the showcase right on the nose. You honestly think that they'd award a million for quite possibly the hardest feat to accomplish in the show today? I bet it'd take another seven generations of hosts before that happened.

/thinks regular Price should go to at least <$500 for DSW

tpirfan28

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'177842\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 08:06 PM\']
/thinks regular Price should go to at least <$500 for DSW
[/quote]
On the daytime version?  No.  There's been 5 DSW's (within $250) this season ALONE.  They only updated the rule after no one doubled up in a whole season.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
The problem with "perfect bid equals million bucks" is that the chances of it happening are in the tens of thousands to one, and when people find out that the million is nearly unclaimable, they'll feel cheated.

If there must be a million dollar prize attached, put it at the end of the show as a bonus spin for the showcase winner, if any. Keep the regular payouts for the wheel in the regular SCSD and everyone wins. The show builds to a natural climax and can't fall victim to a letdown in the fourth act.

(And back to Steve's earlier comment about the $100k bonus prize in the Armed Forces Specials, the show wasn't promoted as the $100,000 Price Is Right Armed Forces Spectacular. I wouldn't mind if they were to just say "Everybody! It's Price is Right in night time!" and let that be that. No huge prizes or slapped on themes. Just TPIR at night.
Travis L. Eberle

TenPoundHammer

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'177843\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 08:12 PM\']On the daytime version?  No.  There's been 5 DSW's (within $250) this season ALONE.  They only updated the rule after no one doubled up in a whole season.[/quote]

Admittedly I haven't paid that much attention. So sue me.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'177848\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 08:44 PM\']I wouldn't mind if they were to just say "Everybody! It's Price is Right in night time!" and let that be that. No huge prizes or slapped on themes. Just TPIR at night.[/quote]

Hey, it worked before (see Kennedy, Tom). Only this time, carry over the daytime host instead of picking someone else.

I'd hate to see Richard Karn ("And if you're within $250 without going over, I'M DOUBLING THE SHOWCASES!!!") or Meredith Vieieieieiera ("Ohhhh, I'm sooooooo sorry, you've overbid... Sorry...") hosting.

/John O'Hurley might work, though

J.R.

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'177850\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 08:51 PM\']I'd hate to see Richard Karn ("And if you're within $250 without going over, I'M DOUBLING THE SHOWCASES!!!")[/quote]
Wow, is that gag getting less and less funny with every post.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:54:57 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Fedya

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'177827\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 06:39 PM\']
Most people who read my posts already know I'm not a big fan of $1MTPiR, but from reading some of the ideas here, it almost sounds like we have CBS Executives posting here ;)
[/quote]
Do any of them get to sleep with Julie Chen?  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'177853\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 10:22 PM\']
Do any of them get to sleep with Julie Chen?  ;-)[/quote]
She doesn't 'sleep' so much as 'recharge', right?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'177851\' date=\'Feb 13 2008, 06:54 PM\']
Wow, is that gag getting less and less funny with every post.[/quote]
Dude, that shark disappeared off of my horizon at LEAST a year ago... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe