Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Face the Music question  (Read 4038 times)

BrandonFG

Face the Music question
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
This one's been bugging at me for some time now.

With the Face the Music eps. resurfacing on Youtube, I remember watching a USA rerun c. 1990, and I thought when someone won the grand prize in the Championship Game, a large "$10,000" graphic flashed across the middle of the screen, in an orangish Helvetica font.

However, five years later, when the show returned to the Family Channel for reruns, the one $10K win I remember seeing (song: "Mame", subject: Lucille Ball), the actual subject's name flashed rapidly as the band played the big victory music.

Am I misremembering my childhood, or did the show actually use said orange "$10,000" graphic? Thanks in advance.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey

Face the Music question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
I'm not real sure if I'm talking about the same event you were, but only one time, they used a flashing $10,000 graphic when Bill Ware won at the $10,000 level that was different than all of the other times.  It had white numerals on a green background and flashed "$10.000".  I don't recall an orange one though, though it's possible they experimented with the chyron.  (Heck, they experimented with practically everything else!)

In the very beginning of the series (the Mame example you gave was the first episode that FAM reran), they routinely flashed the name of the subject no matter what the prize level was.  This ended shortly after (or perhaps at the same time as) the switch from the $10,000 level being a prize package to a cash prize.

jimlangefan

Face the Music question
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »
Yes, the $10,000 graphic did flash in the middle.  When a champion named Ed (don't remember his last name) won the $10K twice in a row it flashed in the middle.  Just in case anybody is wondering, the first time the mystery face was Sammy Davis, Jr, & the second time it was Groucho Marx.  That episode is floating around the circuit.
TV's Big Dealer

ChuckNet

Face the Music question
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
In fact, it was actually during the first of Ed McDevitt's two $10K wins that the flashing orange graphic was seen...I'm thinking this was some kind of error, b/c the end credits for that ep were also orange, something they NEVER did before/after. The next day, the $10K graphic was white, as it was for a second-season win (subject was Reggie Jackson) that I have in my collection.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

bandit_bobby

Face the Music question
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »
And for the Reggie Jackson $10K win, I don't recall the graphic blinking when I watched that episode.

BrandonFG

Face the Music question
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'177691\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 04:59 PM\']
In fact, it was actually during the first of Ed McDevitt's two $10K wins that the flashing orange graphic was seen...I'm thinking this was some kind of error, b/c the end credits for that ep were also orange, something they NEVER did before/after. The next day, the $10K graphic was white, as it was for a second-season win (subject was Reggie Jackson) that I have in my collection.
[/quote]
Thanks everyone for the clarifications.

I'm guessing the white graphic was the same font used to display total champion winnings? Can't recall the font name, but the white one wasn't Helvetica...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey

Face the Music question
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'177710\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 06:25 PM\']
Thanks everyone for the clarifications.

I'm guessing the white graphic was the same font used to display total champion winnings? Can't recall the font name, but the white one wasn't Helvetica...
[/quote]
Yep, you are right.  They always used the same font (except for Bill Ware's one $10,000 win) to display the total winnings as well at the start of each show.

ChuckNet

Face the Music question
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »
Yep, you are right. They always used the same font (except for Bill Ware's one $10,000 win) to display the total winnings as well at the start of each show.

No, they actually used a different font to display the champ's grand total...a giveaway is that the "1" looked different from the one on the $10K graphic.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Mr. Matté

Face the Music question
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »
Just so you can see it right now without searching for the tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNFNY9qhszE