Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IGAS '76  (Read 3813 times)

Ian Wallis

IGAS '76
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
This version was briefly mentioned in another thread and got me wondering.  Since we have lots of classic '50s and '60s episodes available, I'm sure nobody's really clamoring for it, but I'm just curious about the status of this version.

There is one episode in the trade curcuit, apparantly taped in 1975 and aired as part of the four-week series in the summer of 1976.  I think I may have even seen reference to a second one being available on someone's list some time ago.

Assuming GSN doesn't have it, I just find it odd it wouldn't be part of the regular Goodson library.  He certainly had a good track record of saving his shows, and everything from him that aired on CBS by 1976 is still around.  Considering this version aired in primetime, you'd figure CBS wouldn't dispose of it.

Any new info on this?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

IGAS '76
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'178632\' date=\'Feb 23 2008, 04:30 PM\']Any new info on this?[/quote]
A Holy Grail for my Cullen collection, and so far I'm surprised at its absence.  And believe me, I've checked in a LOT of places outside the traditional traders.  Unless I'm being deliberately and specifically misled, GSN does not have it.

I can't tell you exactly how the one episode in the hands of internet traders managed to get there, but I can tell you that it's not from off the air.  It's a master of some sort, because it's unedited and runs more than thirty minutes in its raw form.  Several minutes, maybe an entire segment, would have come out of it before it aired.

The second one you read about may be the audio-only recording of the Loretta Swit episode that I have.  I'm afraid even the audio copy isn't very good, one of those hold-the-mike-to-the-tv-speaker deals.

Master copies have to exist somewhere.  They just have to.  Among the segments we're missing are Buddy Rich performing on the drums while suspended upside down, and Charles Nelson Reilly with a remake of one of my all-time favorite bits, the Meredith Willson thing I mentioned in a GSN thread a couple weeks back.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

IGAS '76
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
Was Secret controlled by CBS in 76? That could be why it's not in the GSN holdings.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WildJoker76

IGAS '76
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »
I'd love to see all 4 weeks of this myself if it ever surfaces

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
IGAS '76
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178634\' date=\'Feb 23 2008, 04:58 PM\']
I can't tell you exactly how the one episode in the hands of internet traders managed to get there, but I can tell you that it's not from off the air.
[/quote]
The master episode on the trading circuit was shot in 1975 as the pilot for the revival of the show, but it aired as the premiere episode as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:52:31 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gwarman2005

IGAS '76
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:22 AM »
We're talking about the one with Rodney Dangerfield as the celebrity guest right?  That was a Holy Grail for me being a Rondey fan instead of a GS find.

William A. Padron

IGAS '76
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »
Well, looking at the chart of all episodes that Mark Goodson licensed in 1992 to Sony Pictures Cable Ventures for their proposed Game Show Network, the 1976 I've Got A Secret was not listed among them.  The licensing and leasing agreement document can be found in the New York City Department of Finance's ACRIS files viewed on online.

Yeah, I was at the IGAS pilot taping with my mother and a friend on Sunday, September 28, 1975 at the CBS Broadcast Center's smaller Studio 42 for those two episodes that later aired, with the Buddy Rich [#1] and Rodney Dangerfield [#2] shows.  I could say for now that unlike some of the pilot tapings in the past that I attended, this IGAS session went so smoothly without any technical stopdowns or retakes, but one segment from the second pilot was edited out when it aired on the network.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:44:24 PM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
IGAS '76
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'178730\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 11:40 AM\']
Well, looking at the chart of all episodes that Mark Goodson licensed in 1992 to Sony Pictures Cable Ventures for their proposed Game Show Network, the 1976 I've Got A Secret was not listed among them.  The licensing and leasing agreement document can be found in the New York City Department of Finance's ACRIS files viewed on online.[/quote]
And how is a fifteen-plus-year-old document pertinent to this question in the least? Especially considering there was a period of time when that document was no longer binding, and a new agreement had to be signed?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

IGAS '76
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'178730\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:40 PM\']
Well, looking at the chart of all episodes that Mark Goodson licensed in 1992 to Sony Pictures Cable Ventures for their proposed Game Show Network, the 1976 I've Got A Secret was not listed among them.  The licensing and leasing agreement document can be found in the New York City Department of Finance's ACRIS files viewed on online.
[/quote]
Any way you can tell us how we can get to that document?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

dzinkin

IGAS '76
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'178746\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 03:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'178730\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:40 PM\']
[/quote]
Any way you can tell us how we can get to that document?
[/quote]
Go to this page and click on "BEGIN USING ACRIS."  On the "Main Options" that comes up, choose "Search Property Records," then "Party Name."  In the "Search by Party Name" box, choose "Business" and type "Mark Goodson" into the Business Name box.  It's the only transaction from 1992.

EDIT: Pages 10 and 11 contain the list.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:49:53 PM by dzinkin »

Matt Ottinger

IGAS '76
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178733\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:54 PM\']And how is a fifteen-plus-year-old document pertinent to this question in the least? Especially considering there was a period of time when that document was no longer binding, and a new agreement had to be signed?[/quote]
Oh, come on.  A document that lists all of the episodes that Goodson originally leased to Sony, and IGAS '76 isn't on it?  That's pinpoint-accuracy spot on PRECISELY relevant to the question.  It's not absolute proof, and he didn't claim it was.  But it's better than just noting they've never aired it.  You'll also note that a couple of members that you don't have a problem with seem to be pretty keenly interested in the document as well.  That should tell you something too.

snowpeck

IGAS '76
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »
One thing to note, though, is that the document in question is far from an exhaustive list of every Goodson/Todman show GSN ended up with.  Such items as Choose Up Sides and The Better Sex are not listed.  Even All-New Beat the Clock isn't, even though the Collyer and Narz/Wood versions are.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

IGAS '76
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'178767\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 06:00 PM\']
One thing to note, though, is that the document in question is far from an exhaustive list of every Goodson/Todman show GSN ended up with.  Such items as Choose Up Sides and The Better Sex are not listed.  Even All-New Beat the Clock isn't, even though the Collyer and Narz/Wood versions are.[/quote]
True, but that's far, far removed from not being "pertinent to this question in the least" and if you, or I, or almost anybody else had posted the link, I'm reasonably certain Chris would not have reacted to it the way he did.

clemon79

IGAS '76
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178764\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 02:45 PM\']
Oh, come on.  A document that lists all of the episodes that Goodson originally leased to Sony, and IGAS '76 isn't on it?  That's pinpoint-accuracy spot on PRECISELY relevant to the question.  It's not absolute proof, and he didn't claim it was.  But it's better than just noting they've never aired it.[/quote]
All I was saying was that considering the lease has been renegotiated a couple of times since then, to point at THAT one and say "see? Wasn't there at the start," doesn't really tell you a lot about whether they have it *now*.
You'll also note that a couple of members that you don't have a problem with seem to be pretty keenly interested in the document as well.  That should tell you something too.
It tells me what I already knew and never questioned: that it's an interesting document. I could see that document containing plenty of useful information, which is why I was unsurprised to see you and Mike interested in looking at it.

I simply don't think it's very useful in determining whether they have rights to air IGAS '76 *today*.

clemon79

IGAS '76
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178770\' date=\'Feb 24 2008, 03:06 PM\']
I'm reasonably certain Chris would not have reacted to it the way he did.
[/quote]
You'd be wrong. I would still ask why that tells you anything about the possibility that it's part of the *current* deal, which I believe was the focus of the original question. And you've said above that it does not necessarily, so we agree on that and it's an argument of semantics at this point.