Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR going HD soon?  (Read 2314 times)

Casey Buck

TPiR going HD soon?
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
John Sly at golden-road.net posted the following (with the subject line "HDTVTPIR"):

These letters obviously mean something!

I understand that the future of broadcasting may be in the very near future for The Price is Right.

Sounds like TPiR's taking the HD plunge. Better polish up those dusty and dented pricing games...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:36:30 PM by Casey Buck »

Casey Buck

TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
Sorry for replying to myself, but looking further on that thread, it seems that only the upcoming prime time specials will be HD.

The daytime show will still be in standard def for now.

TonicBH

TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
this is where I ask:

"What would be the benefit of airing a game show, on a stage that's not set for it, with set components that are somewhat dated, in high-definition?
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

urbanpreppie05

TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'177376\' date=\'Feb 7 2008, 10:56 PM\']
this is where I ask:

"What would be the benefit of airing a game show, on a stage that's not set for it, with set components that are somewhat dated, in high-definition?
[/quote]

Because the stage is set for it. Real time with Bill Maher is shot in HD on 33. And honestly, the entire flipping set (minus the games) is brand spanking new.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:58:18 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:28:51 AM »
Those of you getting ready to blow your tax refund on a brand new HDTV for TPiR-HD, stand by to have your bubbles burst (bursted?)...

Checking two different internal CBS websites for affiliate relations, the promotions website's program calendar doesn't show an HD icon next to the TPiR listing (but "Ghost Whisperer" and "Numb3rs" do have the icons).  And the procedures website flat out says "the following CBS Specials will not (repeat not) be available in High Definition", with the four TPiR specials listed below that.  

(For the record, the TPiR entries on the list are marked as an update from previous information, so it's possible that at some point they *were* listed somewhere as being in HD, presumably incorrectly...)
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

geno57

TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
Okay, so now that we know that the nighttime special was in HD ... anyone know why they're not doing the daytime version that way?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR going HD soon?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 02:19:59 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'179581\' date=\'Mar 2 2008, 08:47 AM\']
Okay, so now that we know that the nighttime special was in HD ... anyone know why they're not doing the daytime version that way?
[/quote]
My take is that they weren't sure how it would go over (age of the props, and etc.) and I would bet that the changeover happens sometime in the coming months.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe