Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missed DOnD 2-25  (Read 4796 times)

mmb5

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'179084\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 07:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'179043\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 04:20 PM\']The broadcast properties have their offices in Burbank.  And they still have a major presence in good ole' Radnor, PA.  I'll be visiting Radnor next month.[/quote]
Is it still there?  The postcards that fall out of my TVG every week (very annoying, BTW) now carry a mailing address of Boone, IA.
[/quote]
For those of you who may not be getting the inside joke, the company I work for and TV Guide will be merging this spring.  I'm somewhat involved with the merger, and one of the things I will be doing is going to Radnor next month to meet my future co-workers.  I've already been in several meetings to "explore synergies".

The location in Iowa is probably a third-party company that handles subscriptions.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'179091\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 08:41 PM\']
The location in Iowa is probably a third-party company that handles subscriptions.[/quote]Iowa has a few places that handle subscriptions.  Reader's Digest goes out of Red Oak, and there's another (BH&G, I believe) that goes out of Des Moines.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

trainman

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:29 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'179091\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 05:41 PM\']For those of you who may not be getting the inside joke, the company I work for and TV Guide will be merging this spring.  I'm somewhat involved with the merger, and one of the things I will be doing is going to Radnor next month to meet my future co-workers.  I've already been in several meetings to "explore synergies".[/quote]

If you happen to see a piece of paper lying around in Radnor that lists the name of every local edition they ever published and the start and end dates thereof...could you smuggle it out for me?

/And the few other TVG collectors we have here.
//"Few" may be an understatement.
///Even though I had a TVG subscription until they changed format, I stopped "using" its listings once TiVo came into my life.
trainman is a man of trains

rugrats1

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'179096\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 09:55 PM\']...there's another (BH&G, I believe) that goes out of Des Moines.
[/quote]

Though in BH&G's case, they're actually based in Des Moines, where their parent company, Meredith Corporation, is based.

SteveR

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'179019\' date=\'Feb 26 2008, 02:23 PM\']My choice of TV listings is often my local paper, as they tend to be more accurate and timely than TVG these days. And if I need more details, I turn to the web, most often to (surprise!) TVG's website.[/quote]
Good choice. As an editorial employee of a major-market newspaper, I can tell you the TV listings -- for both the Sunday book and the daily paper -- are delivered by Tribune Media Services a good three weeks in advance. The books and pages are prepared in advance and then not thought of again until it's time for publication. And, AFAIK, there aren't any updates. Not even for the daily paper. What we got three weeks ago is what you see today.

But, in this case, I don't recall a single listing or on-air promo saying My Dad was going to be on before Deal. NEXT week is when the flip-flop happens. I guess NBC is hoping the earlier time will get more kids watching My Dad.

uncamark

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
While we're discussing "DOND" and time changes, due to "quarterlife" bombing out bad Tuesday night and moving to Bravo for the remainder of its TV run:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...24f8c1a72e8f0e2

"Dateline" will be two hours this Sunday night and "DOND" will be on an hour *later* at 9 p.m., the time "quarterlife" would've been on.  That is all.

trainman

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'179152\' date=\'Feb 27 2008, 08:28 AM\']Good choice. As an editorial employee of a major-market newspaper, I can tell you the TV listings -- for both the Sunday book and the daily paper -- are delivered by Tribune Media Services a good three weeks in advance. The books and pages are prepared in advance and then not thought of again until it's time for publication. And, AFAIK, there aren't any updates. Not even for the daily paper. What we got three weeks ago is what you see today.[/quote]

Including the "highlights" section of the daily page (if you have one)?  Seems like it would be kind of embarrassing if you spotlighted a show that wasn't actually going to air.

The daily TV listings page in the Los Angeles Times (no Sunday book anymore) definitely gets updated with a one-day lead time, i.e., schedule changes announced Monday will make the grid in Wednesday morning's paper.  Maybe it's because they're owned by Tribune.

P.S. to the copy editors that Mark is imitating in his previous post:  In English, we capitalize proper nouns, such as titles of television shows.  How they want to present the logo in their opening credits is their business.
trainman is a man of trains

scottua1

Missed DOnD 2-25
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'179357\' date=\'Feb 29 2008, 01:34 AM\']
The daily TV listings page in the Los Angeles Times (no Sunday book anymore) definitely gets updated with a one-day lead time, i.e., schedule changes announced Monday will make the grid in Wednesday morning's paper.  Maybe it's because they're owned by Tribune.
[/quote]
Or more likely, the level of service Steve's paper pays for only includes one-and-done grids. Of course, since he said AFAIK, he could also be incorrect about that.

/Regardless, electronic listings are still the only way to go IMO.