Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games in HD  (Read 6049 times)

tpirfan28

Games in HD
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »
As the proud new owner of an HD tuner for my computer, I was wondering what games we have on TV now in HD.  I know of Wheel, Jeopardy, and the primetime TPIRs...anything else?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games in HD
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'179470\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 11:37 AM\']
As the proud new owner of an HD tuner for my computer, I was wondering what games we have on TV now in HD.  I know of Wheel, Jeopardy, and the primetime TPIRs...anything else?
[/quote]
Pretty sure that's it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

Games in HD
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Oh poo.  That really stinks, as for some reason, my station isn't sending out HD Wheel/J!...just SD.

/but I get HD TPIR right after that on Fridays!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

Games in HD
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'179473\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 12:04 PM\']
Oh poo.  That really stinks, as for some reason, my station isn't sending out HD Wheel/J!...just SD.[/quote]
Welcome to my world.

jalman

Games in HD
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
On FOX, Don't Forget The Lyrics and Moment of Truth are in Wholesome Widescreen (tm).

/I see the O in FOX needs replacin'
//Because of those schlocky shows
///I too am awaiting the Wheel/J! HD lurve-fest

EDIT: Clarity
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:06:26 PM by jalman »

clemon79

Games in HD
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'179484\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 12:59 PM\']
On FOX, Don't Forget The Lyrics and Moment of Truth are in Wholesome Widescreen (tm).[/quote]
Right, but just widescreen, not Glorious Hi-Def(tm), right?

/and I wouldn't have mentioned Moment Of Truth even if it was, on G.P.

Matt Ottinger

Games in HD
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
As someone who is far from an early-adapter for this kind of stuff...

I get that HD would be wonderful for sporting events, big-budget movies, nature programming, maybe even for regular TV dramas and sitcoms.  But how 'def' do game shows really need to be?  I mean, Sony's trying to push the sets, so Wheel and Jeopardy are a marketing decision.  Beyond that, I really don't see how your viewing experience would be dramatically altered just because you can see every hash mark on The Range Game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Hastin

Games in HD
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179495\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 01:48 PM\']
Beyond that, I really don't see how your viewing experience would be dramatically altered just because you can see every hash mark on The Range Game.
[/quote]

Generally, it's not much different. However, when you've got a 60" Plasma hanging on the wall, it's nice to see programming move to 16:10 and look good on your set. It sucks to have a great looking set, and still be stuck at 480i. As for actual game enhancement, there's not much. However, like on the TPIR MDS, the 1080i really makes the blacks shine, and just makes the game look better.

Jeopardy (in 720p) isn't much different - it just feels like a 4:3 show, but with a 'fluff border'. Wheel has some nice shots now too, you can see more of the wheel, and Pat's in many more of the generic contestant shots. Again, nothing huge, but since the equipment is getting cheaper, it's just a natural evolution to TV.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

Games in HD
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »
Exactly. Do they need to be in "def"? No, not really, other than it's crisper and prettier. Do they need to be in 16x9? Yes. EVERYTHING needs to be in 16x9. That change NEEDS to happen.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Games in HD
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179495\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:48 PM\']

I get that HD would be wonderful for sporting events, big-budget movies, nature programming, maybe even for regular TV dramas and sitcoms.  But how 'def' do game shows really need to be?[/quote]

Exactly. Game shows, news, talk shows.....they don't really need to be HD.

/although Price looks darn good.....
//even in standard def digital----and I'm glad to have found out firsthand
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

jalman

Games in HD
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'179497\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 04:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179495\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 01:48 PM\']
Beyond that, I really don't see how your viewing experience would be dramatically altered just because you can see every hash mark on The Range Game.
[/quote]Generally, it's not much different. However, when you've got a 60" Plasma hanging on the wall, it's nice to see programming move to 16:10 and look good on your set. It sucks to have a great looking set, and still be stuck at 480i.
[/quote][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179501\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 05:18 PM\']
Exactly. Do they need to be in "def"? No, not really, other than it's crisper and prettier. Do they need to be in 16x9? Yes. EVERYTHING needs to be in 16x9. That change NEEDS to happen.
[/quote]
I really appreciate producers thinking in the 21st century by going at least widescreen (yes, both Lyrics and Truth are just SD 16:9).  Okay, for Truth that may the ONLY point I'll give them in my scorebook (...minus millions on execution).  Sadly, FOX doesn't document which shows are "SD widescreen" so I rely on AVS Forum HDTV Programming postings then my eyesight to confirm.  I realize that's not the best proof but until FOX comes out and tags such shows appropriately I'll stick to what I have.

From my subjective viewing FOX shows in SD 16:9 are too....muddy to be HD compared to the crispness of the latest TPIR MDS.  I can't fully describe the inferior quality but I notice the edges aren't smooth and the colors aren't as vibrant when I watch FOX's Wretched Widescreen offerings.  Wretched by content, of course.

See also: A FOX digital TV history lesson

Clay Zambo

Games in HD
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'179484\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:59 PM\']
On FOX, Don't Forget The Lyrics and Moment of Truth are in Wholesome Widescreen (tm).
[/quote]

Moment isn't taped in "Wholesome" anything. ;)
czambo@mac.com

Jimmy Owen

Games in HD
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:41:59 AM »
Isn't is funny that widescreen, Cinemascope, etc were created by movie makers back in the '50's only to combat TV with something you couldn't see at home?  Now that movie makers own the networks, everything is okay.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:43:59 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

Games in HD
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179495\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 03:48 PM\']

I get that HD would be wonderful for sporting events, big-budget movies, nature programming, maybe even for regular TV dramas and sitcoms.  But how 'def' do game shows really need to be?  I mean, Sony's trying to push the sets, so Wheel and Jeopardy are a marketing decision.  Beyond that, I really don't see how your viewing experience would be dramatically altered just because you can see every hash mark on The Range Game.
[/quote]
I said the same thing when they introduced stereo: "Is the dialogue going to be that much funnier because Sam is on the left speaker and Diane's on the right?"
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

jalman

Games in HD
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
Matt, I find your rationale slightly interesting.  While I'm an occasional viewer of Wheel and J!, I don't notice the push for Sony TVs.  (Then again with my viewing habits I'm likely not noticing this)  I've seen bigger pitches for Sony HDTVs during CBS Sports broadcasts.  Not that Sony's support makes me want to buy their product but I can thank them for their patronage.

As for the "need" for HD, I also occasionally watch Price and see HD can ultimately benefit the show.  When I watch both MDS I don't nitpick the props; I like the added immersion when viewing wide shots of the audience.  The extra resolution improves the next-to-being-there-live experience.  Of course, there are the extra eyeballs for the models.

Also, does anyone notice how square the Jeopardy visual design is?  Jeopardy's transition to HD appears to be the most awkward to me because the square, boxy design was a very good fit for the legacy 4:3 aspect ratio.  Wheel, however, is more reliant on eye candy so it transitions better, yet I think Wheel's the one show that would absolutely improve with widescreen-centric shot framing.