Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oprah's Big Give  (Read 4138 times)

davemackey

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179512\' date=\'Mar 1 2008, 06:11 PM\']
The very fact that it's Oprah is certainly enough reason for me not to watch.
[/quote]
QFT. My TV will be off that night.

lobster

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 01:05:30 AM »
tried watching it w/ an open mind.

pure slop.

/not that i ever doubted y'all

uncamark

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
In my view, "Oprah's Big Give" (and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard) is a "reality competition" series, which are shows where the competition lasts over a period of weeks, with someone eliminated frequently and a big winner at the end of the series.  They're usually pre-taped competitions with contestant confessionals and other "Real World"-inspired reality conventions (including some staged material or "frankenbiting" of confessionals) or live or live-on-tape talent contests with pre-taped rehearsal/preparation packages (often staged) with contestant confessionals.

Other examples:

Survivor
Amazing Race
Apprentice
Project Runway
America's Next Top Model
American Idol
Dancing With the Stars
Bachelor (and other similar dating competitions)
etc.

And I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:02:35 PM by uncamark »

tpirfan28

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179875\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 01:02 PM\']
(and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard)
[/quote]
Flipping through channels, I saw this show...and thought the host sounded familiar.  Kinda figured it was him...painful to listen to.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 01:16:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'179877\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179875\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 01:02 PM\']
(and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard)
[/quote]
Flipping through channels, I saw this show...and thought the host sounded familiar.  Kinda figured it was him...painful to listen to.
[/quote]

And they had *him* doing confessionals, which is unusual for that kind of show--you don't see Probst looking straight into the camera with a lower third reading "JEFF PROBST--HOST" saying "The Immunity Challenge we prepared for the castaways will test their knowledge of their fellow castaways..."

lobster

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179875\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:02 PM\']
In my view, "Oprah's Big Give" (and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard) is a "reality competition" series, which are shows where the competition lasts over a period of weeks, with someone eliminated frequently and a big winner at the end of the series.  
[/quote]

That does accurately describe reality shows as we know them, but then we have shows like Duel (even though it was over a course of days instead of weeks, still, people were eliminated and there was a sole big winner at the end) .. and Studio 7, which WAS over the course of multiple weeks, even had confessionals and the whole reality element, but in the end it appeared more game show than anything.. I guess that one is a special case.

uncamark

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'179882\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179875\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:02 PM\']
In my view, "Oprah's Big Give" (and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard) is a "reality competition" series, which are shows where the competition lasts over a period of weeks, with someone eliminated frequently and a big winner at the end of the series.  
[/quote]

That does accurately describe reality shows as we know them, but then we have shows like Duel (even though it was over a course of days instead of weeks, still, people were eliminated and there was a sole big winner at the end) .. and Studio 7, which WAS over the course of multiple weeks, even had confessionals and the whole reality element, but in the end it appeared more game show than anything.. I guess that one is a special case.
[/quote]

"Duel" was studio-based and not a talent contest (I forgot to mention that reality comps are generally location shows, except for the talent contests).  And the elimination was not done in the now-time-honored ceremonial style (even "TAR"'s eliminations are sort of ceremony).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 01:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'179886\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 10:35 AM\']
"Duel" was studio-based and not a talent contest (I forgot to mention that reality comps are generally location shows, except for the talent contests).  And the elimination was not done in the now-time-honored ceremonial style (even "TAR"'s eliminations are sort of ceremony).
[/quote]
Ultra Quiz! Try again. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
[/quote]Will this "Big Give" be in the same vein as her so called Pontiac giveaway a few years back?[/quote]

Are you talking about a so-called Givaway, or did she give away so-called Pontiacs?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Oprah's Big Give
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
In my view, "Oprah's Big Give" (and its lead-out "Here Come the Newlyweds" with your host Pat Bullard) is a "reality competition"
Any competition where the outcome is determined solely by adjudication does not qualify as a game show in my book. That would exclude American Idol and the Miss America Pageant and many of the shows on your list, as well as The Gong Show and Queen For a Day. The Weakest Link had an adjudication component as well as that nasty part involving answering questions, so it could still be considered a game.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:19:30 AM by chris319 »