Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: family feud question  (Read 1614 times)

toetyper

family feud question
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »
back when there was both daytime and nighttime versions; how was it decided which families played on the  nighttime shows.;   if they could choose.  Why would anyone choose to play for 5k when you could play for 10k

tvwxman

family feud question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »
It's not that easy : you could stay on the daytime show for 5 shows, with a potential for 25K, whereas it was one-and-done with the nighttime version, playing for 10K.

So which would you rather be on? Please answer with the correct capital letters in pLacE.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
family feud question
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'182000\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 08:05 AM\']
back when there was both daytime and nighttime versions; how was it decided which families played on the  nighttime shows.;   if they could choose.  Why would anyone choose to play for 5k when you could play for 10k
[/quote]
Do you really think the contestants had their choice in the first place? Really?

(Though I'm sure the coordinators were as accommodating as possible; I would imagine if the family mentioned that attending multiple tapings would be inconvenient if they were to wrap around weeks on the show, they would be shuttled to the nighttime show if at all possible. But rest assured that it wasn't the family's ultimate call.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:30:34 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

family feud question
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'182002\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 11:22 AM\']
So which would you rather be on? Please answer with the correct capital letters in pLacE.[/quote]
toetyper has an exception on the capital letters issue.  His screen name is descriptive, not fanciful.

Meanwhile, I can answer the daytime/syndicated thing, at least a little, based on firsthand experience.  I ended up on the syndicated version of Sale of the Century while both versions were running.  The contestants didn't get to choose.  You applied to be on the show, and it was up to the coordinators to decide whether they wanted you for their daytime version or their syndicated version.  It makes sense that Family Feud and any other show with both versions running would do it the same way.

The coordinators didn't tell us what their criteria were, but they definitely left us with the impression that they wanted their better players ("TV better", not necessarily the ones who played better) for the syndicated version, which was a more valuable property to them.  Of course, they probably said something similar to the daytimers they chose.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

family feud question
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'182005\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 11:32 AM\']The coordinators didn't tell us what their criteria were, but they definitely left us with the impression that they wanted their better players swingers . . . for the syndicated version, which was a more valuable property to them.[/quote]Fixed.

toetyper

family feud question
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'182005\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 11:32 AM\']
  I ended up on the syndicated version of Sale of the Century
[/quote]

so howd you do

Sodboy13

family feud question
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'182017\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 11:36 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'182005\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 11:32 AM\']
  I ended up on the syndicated version of Sale of the Century
[/quote]

so howd you do
[/quote]

I can't verify this, but I think Matt ripped out Mark DeCarlo's still-beating heart in the rarely-seen Fame Game Octagon.  For his efforts, I believe he received a Kenmore dishwasher.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Matt Ottinger

family feud question
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'182018\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 12:47 PM\']
I can't verify this, but I think Matt ripped out Mark DeCarlo's still-beating heart in the rarely-seen Fame Game Octagon.  For his efforts, I believe he received a Kenmore dishwasher.[/quote]
It was a Maytag, but yeah, pretty much.

Actually, I did really, really well, especially in the early going, but eventually fell to a dominant champion.  I was so disappointed by the experience that it took me almost twenty years before I went on another game show, at which point I did really, really well, especially in the early going, but eventually fell to a dominant champion.  I probably won't be on any more game shows anytime soon.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Matté

family feud question
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
I take it this is the way contestants were picked for Pyramid whether it was the $10 or $20K vs. $25K in the 70s or $25K vs. $100K in the 80s.