Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst/Best Contestant ?  (Read 12570 times)

J.R.

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« on: October 06, 2003, 08:49:42 PM »
(Possible spoilers)

Little opinion question for you all. Who is in your opinion the best and the worst contestant in game show history ?

Best: Joe Trela (WWTBAM? 2000) When he used up all of  his lifelines at $32000, I was sure he was numbered. His slow climb to the $1,000,000 was nothing short of amazing. Taking massive risks when he no longer had his safety nets, that takes a LOT of courage.

Honorable Mention: Trevor Sauer of Aussie WWTBAM? Endured the same trials as Joe, but decided to take the $500,000 Au. instead of going for a question he knew the answer to.

Worst: Ben (Classic Concentration 1991): If you don't know. Ben had over 7 seconds left to win the car and retire from the show, but decided to purposly throw the bonus round so he could try to win more prizes. He did this by loudly proclaiming that he \"had to wait because\" he wanted to \"WIN MORE PRIZES !!!\" Which led to some boos from the audience and shocked looks from Alex Trebek and Ben's mother. His arrogant attitude during the 2nd match earns this distinction in my opinion. (I believe he lost the next two games in a row, but I'm not sure.)

Dishonorable Mention: That contestant on FoF and his bleepfest. Very bad sportsmanship.

Thats my thoughts, what about yours ?
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

PPatters

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 08:58:50 PM »
I think that the distinction for best contestant would have to go to Michael Larson. I'm sorry, but anyone that can memorize all of those patterns, realize exactly when to hit the button, and still be able to answer the trivia questiosn correctly to get him enough spins, deserves to be mentioned in this category.
Patrick

PeterTomarkensGal

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 10:32:40 PM »
I agree with you PPatters. I have Curt's PYL game, and every time I play I TRY to do what Michael did!

Little Big Brother

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 10:45:47 PM »
Hmmm, I think for this it would be best to go show by show, since comparing someone on a show like LMAD and WWTBAM is a bit apples apples vs. oranges (Though I thought I read that the Supreme Court will be deciding on the latter sometime this term):

Best Contestants

$100,000 Pyramid:  I would have to go with Keif Ferrendini (sorry about the spelling butchering).  Personally, I have a higher regard for contestants who give rather than receive in the WC, but her play in the tournament was phenomenal, to say the least.

Jeopardy:  Chuck Forrest.  My mom had the misfortune of being in the same mock game as him at her Jeopardy audition.  Although he sounded like a nice guy, she could not possibly compete against him and did not get a call back.

WWTBAM:  Nancy Christy (Millionaire #11).  Besides the fact that she had no lifelines after $16k, she was so charming that you could not help but root for her.  Granted, she had amazing luck in that she had some personal story to almost every question in the third tier, she didn't come off as smug the way I felt John Carpenter did.  Although there was no real skill being demonstrated, she was what I would call an \"ideal contestant\" for a game show.

I'll post more bests (and some Worsts) later as I think of them or agree/disagree with others

ChuckNet

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:02:11 AM »
Best: Joe Trela (WWTBAM? 2000) When he used up all of his lifelines at $32000, I was sure he was numbered. His slow climb to the $1,000,000 was nothing short of amazing. Taking massive risks when he no longer had his safety nets, that takes a LOT of courage.

Totally agree...not to mention that it took him nearly 5 min to decide on answering the $1M question, and that alone made it one of the most dramatic eps in the show's history...not to mention that neither ABC nor the press offered spoilers which gave away the win. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 12:04:24 AM »
Worst: Ben (Classic Concentration 1991): If you don't know. Ben had over 7 seconds left to win the car and retire from the show, but decided to purposly throw the bonus round so he could try to win more prizes. He did this by loudly proclaiming that he \"had to wait because\" he wanted to \"WIN MORE PRIZES !!!\" Which led to some boos from the audience and shocked looks from Alex Trebek and Ben's mother. His arrogant attitude during the 2nd match earns this distinction in my opinion. (I believe he lost the next two games in a row, but I'm not sure.)

No, he actually won the 1st game on the next show...where he did the EXACT SAME THING in the bonus round, despite having more than enough time to win the car...guess what happened in the next game? :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Ian Wallis

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 09:02:19 AM »
No, he actually won the 1st game on the next show...where he did the EXACT SAME THING in the bonus round, despite having more than enough time to win the car...guess what happened in the next game? :-)

Really?  Wow....does anyone happen to have that particular episode on tape?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 09:04:41 AM »
I think that the distinction for best contestant would have to go to Michael Larson.

I have to agree there.  It's easy to sit at home and spot patterns, or other ways to \"beat the system\", but once you're in the studio in front of the cameras and audience, can you do it there?  It's a totally different experience, and the fact he was able to pull it off on camera would have to rank him high on the list.  It's too bad his story doesn't have a happy ending...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 09:32:58 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 11:04 PM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Some of the cars in the Classic Concentration bonus round in 1991 were more budget-friendly than were often seen in 1987. Maybe he decided he didn't want to win a box on wheels :)

Don Howard

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 12:38:20 PM »
FAVORITE CONTESTANT: Frank Dillon on The Joker's Wild.

LEAST FAVORITE: Rocky, the Know-It-All, on $ale of the Century.
Thank you, Curtis Warren, for beating him. The $1M you won on Greed was
your belated reward.

Matt Ottinger

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 12:54:11 PM »
Jeopardy: Chuck Forrest. My mom had the misfortune of being in the same mock game as him at her Jeopardy audition. Although he sounded like a nice guy, she could not possibly compete against him and did not get a call back.
Couple things.

At the audition, the mock game isn't designed to be a competition.  They just use it to see how you would handle yourself on stage.  I'm sorry if your mom's been using Forrest as an excuse for the last twenty years, but the coordinators wouldn't have excluded her merely because somebody else \"beat\" her in the mock game.

Secondly, while Forrest was certainly the FIRST impressive champion they had in the Alex era, I think many players that have followed have been better.  With apologies to Leszek -- who holds the distinction of having NEVER been defeated in competition -- my vote for the all-time best Jeopardy player would go to Bob Verini.  He's competed in most of their major tournaments (including Super Jeopardy and the Million Dollar Masters) and always done well against the top players.  Plus he has the sort of colorful personality and wit that  most coordinators want their contestants to have.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 02:24:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Oct 6 2003, 09:45 PM\']$100,000 Pyramid:  I would have to go with Keif Ferrendini (sorry about the spelling butchering).  Personally, I have a higher regard for contestants who give rather than receive in the WC, but her play in the tournament was phenomenal, to say the least.
[/quote]
I agree with your post as written.  I assume that they put their best players on the nighttime version and lesser players on daytime.  If I'm wrong, then I would nominate, as a co-valedictorian of sorts, Kelly Grogan, who became the daytime version's top winner the same season.  A bit of history on her:  She was on some weeks before the show ended, and a call in the Winner's Circle did not go her way which would have brought her back.  (I think they disqualified a clue that her partner gave.)  They must have reconsidered their decision because they brought her back for the last week of the show.  (I think this is right.  She may have appeared the Friday before and earned the right to continue on Monday of the final week.)  I don't have the tape here with me, but I believe she won over $60,000.  I think if they had realized how good she was, they would have timed her return so that her fifth day (and final day under the rules) was the last show.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

pyrfan

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 04:30:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:24 PM\'](snip) ...I would nominate, as a co-valedictorian of sorts, Kelly Grogan, who became the daytime version's top winner the same season.  A bit of history on her:  She was on some weeks before the show ended, and a call in the Winner's Circle did not go her way which would have brought her back.  (I think they disqualified a clue that her partner gave.)  They must have reconsidered their decision because they brought her back for the last week of the show.  (I think this is right.  She may have appeared the Friday before and earned the right to continue on Monday of the final week.)  I don't have the tape here with me, but I believe she won over $60,000.  I think if they had realized how good she was, they would have timed her return so that her fifth day (and final day under the rules) was the last show.[/quote]
The explanation of Kelly Grogan's reign is pretty much on the money, but here's the whole scoop:

Kelly won $31,100 on her first day -- already a great feat. The next day, when she tried for $10,000, she got all the way to the top, and the $300 category was THINGS YOU ABANDON. After struggling with it for a while, Earl Holliman said, \"A basketed baby,\" and Kelly said the answer. The judges didn't like the clue and buzzed it, but since the audience was celebrating what they thought was a win, Kelly and Earl didn't hear the buzzer. When they returned from the commercial, Dick explained that \"a basketed baby\" was a made-up phrase and couldn't be allowed as a legal clue, so Kelly ended up with $750 rather than $10,000. Her opponent then went to the winner's circle and won $800, beating Kelly's score. Kelly went home with $31,850.

Jump forward about 10 weeks later. Kelly came back on the show. When she got to the winner's circle, Dick asked her how much money she had already won before that day, and she said it was $41,100 -- not $31,850.

My guess is that viewers protested the decision, and the judges reversed themselves. So they \"took back\" the $750 and replaced it with the $10,000 she would have won, and since the $10,000 would have beaten her original opponent's $800, they brought her back on the show. Her final total was $60,050, making her the biggest money winner on the daytime show, beating previous champ Barbara Schnell by $1,100.

I've seen a number of contestants come back on \"Pyramid\" later after a bad call, but I never saw Dick ask them how much money they had won previously, even if was over $10,000. The fact that Kelly's total was so high after they corrected their mistake leads me to think that they wanted people to know that she was close to breaking the all-time record...which she did.

This post could easily tangent into the best \"Pyramid\" contestants of all time. Hmm...

Brendan

Winkfan

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 09:10:53 PM »
How could you all forget Tic Tac Dough champion Thom McKee? He MOST DEFINITELY ranks right up there among the BEST game show contestants of all time!

I'd agree with a couple of you on Nancy Christy from WWTBaM, however. She also should be among the best.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Maureen Reynolds of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

zachhoran

Worst/Best Contestant ?
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 09:16:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:10 PM\'] How could you all forget Tic Tac Dough champion Thom McKee? He MOST DEFINITELY ranks right up there among the BEST game show contestants of all time!

I'd agree with a couple of you on Nancy Christy from WWTBaM, however. She also should be among the best.

[/quote]
 Well Miss Tammy my dear, we could also count Les Gould from NTT8x among the worst, now couldn't we? Ditto from that show: Alfred from one of the aired pilot episodes, and in the weirdest category, Tommy Simmons. Michael Lagmay(as well as Tammy, of course) could be ranked in the Best category among NTT84 players