Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Funniest announcer moments  (Read 2512 times)

barker5000

Funniest announcer moments
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Similar to the most heartbreaking moments in game show history, what do you think are the most funniest announcer moments in game show history?

Thanks,
barker5000

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
If any announcer ever said "most funniest," that would be my vote.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
"if you would like to be a contestant on Hit Man... forget it!"

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »
"A barbecue and a new car!"

catkins522

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
"They just came out!"

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
Gene Wood caught reading a newspaper between announcements on "Child's Play".

Gene also was in on that joke once played on Jim Perry on "Card Sharks" where they bought him a case of wine (I think the occasion was Jim's 3,000th show as a host), and Gene started randomly giving it out to other CS staffers, on the pretense that Jim would want his colleagues to share in his big day - leaving Jim with an empty wooden box that used to have a case of wine in it.

Rod Roddy used to crack up quite a bit at the TPIR mike.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »
Wiseguy answer: Rich Jeffries, Daniel Rosen, and Larry Van Nuys merely considering careers behind the microphone.

Real answer [and the only one I can think of not mentioned yet] was Gene Wood's "samurai" moment from Dawson Feud. Heck, maybe anything he got brought out for on that show......
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

TenPoundHammer

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »
I cast another vote for "...Forget it!" from Hit Man. Ever since I first heard that, I can't help but wonder if Roddy ad-libbed.

Here's another one that I thought was funny, from Play the Percentages:

Contestant: Bob Hilton, if I win five games in a row, what do I get?

Hilton: (off mic) Anything you want!

[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'181664\' date=\'Mar 16 2008, 04:40 PM\']
Wiseguy answer: Rich Jeffries, Daniel Rosen, and Larry Van Nuys merely considering careers behind the microphone.[/quote]

I'm with you on the latter two... I honestly don't think Jeffries was a bad announcer.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »
I'm gonna have to say Don Pardo kicking Johnny Knoxville in the genitals on SNL.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »
This is unintentional, but I laughed.

(BTW, O-T - Ed's publicist recently revealed he hurt his neck last March and is still rehabbing.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:08:29 PM by LetsGoMets2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Norm Blumenthal wrote in his 1975 book "TV Game Shows" about an incident where a boat was to be given away and the copy read that the boat had "twin screws for pleasure cruising and fishing."  The announcer transposed "screw" and "cruise" and hilarity ensued.

How about Rod Roddy and his trips to "Puta Gorda"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »
One funny Johnny Jacobs moment was one I saw a few months ago on one of my VHS tapes.

On the 80's Treasure Hunt, Geoff Edwards revealed a pair of long underwear from the contestant's chosen box.  Johnny begins to describe the "klunk" then realizes it was HIS pair of long underwear they were showing.

Johnny then makes a rare on-camera appearance to retrieve his clothing from Geoff.

Card Shark

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »
Or another Rod Roddy moment (not counting the times he would stumble on the copy and sound something like Porky Pig) from some point in April 2001 was when he was calling up one of the first contestants at the top of the show named Jesus (Hay Zoos) Santana. Only, he read it as Jesus and then stopped and realized what happened, chuckled and said, "Oh, Hay Zoos...Hay Zoos Santana, come on down."
Adam Strom

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'181652\' date=\'Mar 16 2008, 01:21 PM\']"if you would like to be a contestant on Hit Man... forget it!"[/quote]Thirded.  But Gene Wood had IMO the second-best series finale contestant plug on Super Password:
"If you, or anyone you know, have need of an experienced game show announcer or game show host, just call the producer, who is also available. ... Now back to the unemployed!"

Speaking of Gene and his plugs, I actually remember a CS contestant plug from late in the series when, between the address and the phone number, he added something like, "And you can get a good look at Jim Perry's socks!"  Jim responded by bringing Gene on stage and making him show his socks.  At least Jim's matched.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:25:03 PM by GS Warehouse »