Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on Drew Carey.  (Read 9763 times)

cmjb13

Article on Drew Carey.
« on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Count me in as one of the 15%. I really don't watch anymore.

Link
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jmangin

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
I tivo it and delete it if the online summary doesn't detail anything noteworthy.

Does anyone know what the ratings difference was between Carson's last season and Leno's first?

urbanpreppie05

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
I don't watch it every day, but I didn't watch it every day toward the end of barker's tenure. I do however watch it more than I did when he hosted- from 1-2 a month to at least once a week.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:29:05 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

JayDLewis

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
Didn't read the article (yet) but is that down compared to the same time period last year, when Barkermania was runnin' wild? What about the rest of daytime TV?

Ratings everywhere have been steadily dropping as the years go by...I don't think the 15% means much, IMO.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Jimmy Owen

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
I watched Drew daily for a couple of weeks, enough to know the show is in good hands and will likely be on forever.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Clay Zambo

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
I don't watch every day, either--and haven't for years.  But I will say that I'm more likely to watch than I have been for a long time.  It's clear that Drew's having fun, and seems like everybody else is, too.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'182667\' date=\'Mar 27 2008, 03:35 PM\']
Didn't read the article (yet) but is that down compared to the same time period last year, when Barkermania was runnin' wild? [/quote]
This particular article doesn't specifically say, but the industry standard (and other articles I've read about TPIR)  compares numbers from same-time-last-year.  So yeah, between the bump Barker got near the end [insert Dian joke here] and the natural erosion of TV ratings in general, that 15% doesn't mean a lot.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »
I count as the 15% also, but I have French at that time. But whenever I do have the time to watch, its always a pleasure to watch.

I don't think the 15% drop has anything to do with the new host, however.

BrandonFG

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »
The primetime specials have won their timeslot every single week, right? Granted on a Friday against fairly weak competition, is there any cause to worry too much?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DrBear

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how are the ratings against those of, say, three years ago? When there was nothing special going on at TPIR? And how do you track them against the general decline of network viewing overall? And isn't 15 percent of the smaller daytime audience - in raw numbers - smaller than 15 percent of the nighttime audience?

A lot of statistics here that haven't been properly applied.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

MizzouRah!

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
And to be honest, what would CBS replace it with IF this is a horrible number? Doubtful any new soaps are waiting in the wings, obviously nothing game show related and they'd be fools to extend the ratings challenged Early Show. The only option would be to toss one more hour back to the local stations(and would this be any monetary bonus to the bottom line of CBS?). Look at NBC daytime...If you overlook the never ending Today Show, they program one hour of network programming. Compare that to the 6 hours they had back in the days of morning games and afternoon soaps. 'Scuse me while I wipe away a tear.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »
I really don't watch anymore.
Wow, Christopher, coming from you that says a lot.

I understand a lot of the ratings erosion has been among young women. Factor them out and the erosion is probably a little less.

I've had trouble watching since Barker was still there. Between Rich and that infernal audience whooping it's hard to watch/listen to. Note to Bart: the audience mics should be off, that's O-F-F, when Rich reads any kind of prize copy.

From a business standpoint, you have to look at how much the show is making for CBS. Drew's reported $10 million salary doesn't help that cause at all. IMO $2 million would be a fair price. He's not that good.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:53:05 PM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:35:38 PM »
Another (probably minor) factor in the ratings drop: online viewing.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'182696\' date=\'Mar 27 2008, 05:35 PM\']
Another (probably minor) factor in the ratings drop: online viewing.
[/quote]
Yeah, I have to think that's a statistically insignificant number, though. I would wager it's mostly the dilution of television options, timeshifting, etc. that is the main culprit.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'182682\' date=\'Mar 27 2008, 05:49 PM\']
I really don't watch anymore.
Wow, Christopher, coming from you that says a lot.
[/quote]
Hard to believe, but yes. Aside from fast forwarding the first two primetime specials, I haven't really watched a daytime show since Christmas.

I can't point to one single thing that made me lose interest. Although I can think of a few.

-Barker gone (probably biggest reason)
-Awful set (Looks like it's built out of Lego's. What's with the metal around the doors? And why do they have stars above the doors? It's so obvious to have $ there.)
-Jib gives me headaches and doesn't fit in with the show
-New host (while a nice guy, just doesn't seem to be the right fit)

I think they changed to much too soon. I understand they wanted to freshen it up. I really think they should have left everything alone except for the host. As I had been told, staff members came together to avoid what Fremantle really wanted to do with the show. This show used to be different because it did stuff differently than other shows. Now, it seems to be just another show.

I still may visit, but I'm not sure as often as I used to.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:51:22 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS