Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Article on Drew Carey.  (Read 10249 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
I've completely missed only one Carey ep, but I liberally skip through slow parts, like the wheel, the quickie games, et al.

My longtime fandom for Carey has led me to watch more than I probably would have otherwise, because although He Gets It (tm) (that article praising him for being the anti-Barker aside), I wish he was indeed more polished, and I think with as much TV as he's done, he really *should* be. However, when he gets an opening for some comedy, he usually nails it and makes me glad I watch. (Although Brandi and Rachel definitely help. :) )

It's like the nursery rhyme girl; he's either very very good or he's horrid. Often in the same episode.

/I like the set, at least the primetime version. The jib is way overused, though.
@lambertman

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »
I wish he was indeed more polished, and I think with as much TV as he's done, he really *should* be.
Absolutely true. For as long as he's been doing the show (almost six months now?) he should be further along than he is. He's still feeling his way, he's still awkward. He hasn't mastered the fine art of making his every utterance seem fresh and new. I suspect that he was given way, way too many pricing games to learn at first, and that just left him disoriented. "Polish" is the perfect word to describe what he's lacking. If I were Herman Fremantle or Syd Vicious and Drew's contract were coming up, I'd make darn certain I still had Todd Newton's number in my Rolodex.

As for the set, it was definitely getting stale and needed some freshening up. I'm hesitant to bash Bente's work but I was hoping she'd get completely away from those ping-pong-ball style light bulbs. The old white doors made the set look more expansive -- the new doors make the set feel closed-in. When it comes to show logos, I do not subscribe to the "more are better" school of thought; the logo on the turntable needs to go, and the wing that extends stage right from door 1 needs to go back to being unlit.

I haven't visited the show for several years now. It's always nice seeing Stan and Roger (and Scott, too) but ...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'182716\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 08:19 AM\']
-Awful set (Looks like it's built out of Lego's. What's with the metal around the doors? And why do they have stars above the doors? It's so obvious to have $ there.)
[/quote]

I can agree, or at least see where you're coming from, with a lot of what you said. But this seems awfully minor to me. The more you watch, the more you realize how same-old-same-old the show really is. When they moved the big wheel to a new spot last week, I remarked to somebody it was the probably the biggest overall aesthetic change to the show in ages. It's not like they went for two big doors flanking a turntable center stage when Drew took over. They kept the basic gist.

But it would've been a big detriment, IMO, to change as little as they could. For the show to successfully live on, they needed to show it didn't need Barker. Keeping his set could have served as a reminder that it's his house. In contrast, when you saw Drew's set for the first time, you knew change was afoot. It wasn't just a new logo on the doors, it was new everything. Things like the music updates only strengthened this. Todd Newton would've been BarkerBot, IMO, and would've opened things up to a lot of unfavorable comparisons.

Drew's lack of polish is getting to me a bit, although he's a hard guy to hate in any respect. The biggest gripe I have is the showcase reveal. It often comes down to mourning the loser's loss rather than congratulating the winner. They almost seem like an after-thought, and Drew sounds like he's giving a eulogy.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'182720\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 10:12 AM\']If I were Herman Fremantle or Syd Vicious and Drew's contract were coming up, I'd make darn certain I still had Todd Newton's number in my Rolodex.[/quote]
There may have been a time, back in the G-T golden age, where the idea of replacing someone who's only so-so with someone who's more polished would have been a very real consideration.  These day, though, the simple fact of the matter is that Drew Carey is famous and Todd Newton isn't.  If Drew was stinking up the joint in a way that more than just the hardcore experts notice, then maybe they'd have a problem.  But the way I see it, the whole idea here is that Drew is the less-polished happy fun guy.  I still believe at least a little of it is deliberate; that he wants to look looser and less smooth.  This is a man who memorized sitcom scripts and stand-up routines, if he wanted to deliver a few lines of game copy accurately, this seems a skill within his grasp.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
My DVR is set to record the show every day.  I try to watch every recording, but sometimes I miss one.  My 19-month old daughter loves the show and everytime the show starts, she will come trotting out to the living room to watch the show with me.  

I'm not a die-hard who scrutinizes every single aspect of the show.  Like most people, I don't care about the location of the big wheel, or the thickness of Drew's glasses on a given day.  The game hasn't changed--just the look of the show (which is WAY overdue).

I think Drew is doing fine.  He'll never be as smooth as Bob Barker or as cordial as Bill Cullen.  Hosts like that are a thing of the past--unfortunately.  Give him more than 6 months.  He's got 50+ years of catch-up to do.
--Matt

joker316

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »
IMO the transition of hosts was handled badly. What CBS should have done is what Johnny Carson did only in a shorter amount of time. That is, choose Barker's sucessor back when Barker said he was done. Then the PTB could ease the new guy in by having him, say, host a couple of pricing games and eventually host an entire Friday episode. Then, in the summer, have the final episode before the season opener hosted by the new host (one of aforementioned Friday eps).

When the new season begins, the show takes on a totally new look; just like when Leno replaced Carson. And do a complete change, new models, new announcer, new gameboards, etc. The new host welcomes us to TPIR and away we go!

I am curious how many fans are not watching because it's not "old school TPIR" anymore.

MO on Drew as a host is he tends to remind me of one guy in a group of friends who gets the home game and has a party and everyone plays and he is the host. Giddy and little overwhelmed at times.

Sorry this was so long!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'182726\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 12:20 PM\']
Then the PTB could ease the new guy in by having him, say, host a couple of pricing games and eventually host an entire Friday episode.[/quote]

I can't begin to explain what an awful idea I think this is. It makes the new guy look helpless, like he needs to be thrown a bone and have Daddy Barker there to help him. Imagine if Johnny Carson introduced a guest, got up out of his chair, pushed it in for Jay and stood off stage watching him. That would make Jay look like a doof.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
Sorry to go off-track, but the Carson-to-Leno transition was possibly the worst-handled situation in the history of network television.

Check out a copy of "The Late Shift" sometime.
@lambertman

tvwxman

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'182728\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 12:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'182726\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 12:20 PM\']
Then the PTB could ease the new guy in by having him, say, host a couple of pricing games and eventually host an entire Friday episode.[/quote]

I can't begin to explain what an awful idea I think this is. It makes the new guy look helpless, like he needs to be thrown a bone and have Daddy Barker there to help him.
[/quote]

Seconded. Absolutely Dumb.

I would have much prefered Barker to do 'only' the prime time MDPs, while giving a new host the chance to shine on the daytime edition. That way , everyone is a winner : the Barker fans and the anti-Barker group.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'182724\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 09:00 AM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'182720\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 10:12 AM\']If I were Herman Fremantle or Syd Vicious and Drew's contract were coming up, I'd make darn certain I still had Todd Newton's number in my Rolodex.[/quote]
There may have been a time, back in the G-T golden age, where the idea of replacing someone who's only so-so with someone who's more polished would have been a very real consideration.  These day, though, the simple fact of the matter is that Drew Carey is famous and Todd Newton isn't.  If Drew was stinking up the joint in a way that more than just the hardcore experts notice, then maybe they'd have a problem.  But the way I see it, the whole idea here is that Drew is the less-polished happy fun guy.  I still believe at least a little of it is deliberate; that he wants to look looser and less smooth.  This is a man who memorized sitcom scripts and stand-up routines, if he wanted to deliver a few lines of game copy accurately, this seems a skill within his grasp.
[/quote]
You miss my point entirely. Drew's got the happy-fun part down, but six months in he hasn't got the polish down and is showing little improvement. Meanwhile fans are starting to notice. We went through the exact same thing with Dick Martin on Mindreaders and I don't need to tell you how that turned out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:48:53 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'182732\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 12:48 PM\']You miss my point entirely. Drew's got the happy-fun part down, but six months in he hasn't got the polish down and is showing little improvement. Meanwhile fans are starting to notice. We went through the exact same thing with Dick Martin on Mindreaders and I don't need to tell you how that turned out.[/quote]
I understand your point perfectly.  I just disagree with it.  Carey is not going to get much better, this is it for him.  The polish you're looking for is not going to happen.  And there was a time, back when you should have done something about Dick Martin, when that mattered.  (Although blaming Dick Martin for Mindreaders is a little like blaming the onboard ice chest for what happened to the Titanic.)

Today, a statistically insignificant number of "fans" (roughly equal to the number of people who even know with certainity who Todd Newton is) recognize that if Drew was a "real" game show host, he'd be getting better by now.  The general viewership, on the other hand, just sees the famous funny guy, and oh look how cute, sometimes he messes up when he's trying to explain something.  Replace him with a smoother but less amusing unknown and that 15% drop from before is going to start looking really good.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

urbanpreppie05

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
Carey is not going to get much better, this is it for him.

I humbly disagree...I said on another board that it may take Drew up to a YEAR to get really comfortable with the show...he's still relatively "new" to the game show hosting game. Personally, I think he's getting better by the weeks, but he's got to stop being so attached to the contestants (NOTE: I don't want him to become so detached that he emulates barker in his last few seasons, it's just when the show has a day of knuckleheaded contestants, his mood noticeably changes- and that's not good)

As rough as he is, I haven't enjoyed watching the show this much in a few years. But to each, his own, right?
insert signature here

The Ol' Guy

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
Some of us have been hoping he will "get it". He can still be his fun-guy self while putting in a bit more directness, authority, polish (good word) or whatever. I'd hate to think the door is closed to his improvement.
In his tv sitcom, even though he played a schlep, he knew enough about acting to do his role with confidence. Even if he were to put 7% of the acting qualities he needed in the sitcom to his hosting job (not fakery, but coming out with a fully created personality that fits within his skin), he'd come off better. I'll look for a Drew on-stage performance video, as I'd like to see if he just fumbles around or comes out acting like a comedy star. I imagine he needs a professional mindset to come across well on stage. He should try it here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:41:02 PM by The Ol' Guy »

cmjb13

Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
Here's what I don't get.

They hold auditions for months and hire the guy who won't do an audition.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Article on Drew Carey.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 02:03:03 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'182737\' date=\'Mar 28 2008, 10:37 AM\']
I'll look for a Drew on-stage performance video, as I'd like to see if he just fumbles around or comes out acting like a comedy star. I imagine he needs a professional mindset to come across well on stage. He should try it here.[/quote]
He fumbles. Because that's what Drew Carey does, and that's the source of his popularity. People like watching him because they relate to him.

Matt's exactly right, the people who are bitching are bitching that he's Not Bob, and I for one am perfectly okay with him being Drew Carey and Not Bob, because I like Drew Carey. And most of America likes Drew Carey, and could give two tin shiats about Todd Newton, if they even know who Todd Newton is. Now that the show's gone the Big Name route, they can't exactly go back.

You're not getting a plastic game-show host, folks, you're getting Drew Carey. If Drew Carey isn't what you want, fine, but don't expect him to change, because the Drew Carey As Everyman character been honed to a razor point over 20+ years, and this is it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:04:19 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe