Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price Is Right  (Read 3530 times)

wdm1219inpenna

The Price Is Right
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I want to preface this by saying that while I don't watch every single day, and while I don't take the time to tape the program presently, I have enjoyed the few episodes that I have seen with Drew Carey as host.  I'm no doubt in the minority when I say I really like the way the set looks, it just has a "Drew" feel to it to me.  I enjoy TPIR 2007-08, season #36, but there are elements of the program that I miss.

I miss the padded red/orange/purple turntable.  I rather enjoyed that look, and I think most of us did.

I miss the look of the classic doors, the program name on the white doors and the funkadelic shape of the doors, and the funkadelic colors that bordered the doors.

I miss when the show doesn't have both a SP game and a grocery item game in the rotation every day.  It seems due to lack of SP sponsors and/or lack of time, the show has to play 1 prize quicky games more, and whenever the show has 3 quicky games, or at times 4, it's a real disappointment.  I know there has to be at least 2 scheduled per program, and that's not so bad.

I miss the snail-mail ticket plug (I know they do that sometimes, and that they have to include the website now too), and I really miss the mid-show bumper "Stay tuned for more pricing games, and the fabulous showcases, which are coming up on the second half of "The Price is Right"!"

While quite old and dated, I miss the original intro music used (1972-75), which was also used when players came on down, and came on up to play a pricing game.

I also miss the chats that were had with the beauties at the end of the 4th pricing game from time to time, and seeing the announcer during the 6th "come on down" segment.  I miss the showcases being more fabulous.  It seems there used to be nicer and more prizes with showcases, and the skits were longer, now it seems so darned rushed anymore.  CBS has to plug crap like Survivor and Big Brother 35 times a day after all.

Surprisingly, I just reviewed the 26 retired pricing games that I have listed, and I don't really miss any of them.  Penny Ante & Give or Keep are the two I probably miss most, although I really did love Super Saver too.  I can see why the staff didn't like Give or Keep.  Even though it was SP's, the player didn't get a chance to win all 6 of them, only the 3 they selected.  It took a while to play that game, having 6 SP descriptions, plus the gameboard was visible during the one bid round.  Still it lasted for 17 years, which is remarkable in this industry of television!

I was 5 years old and 2 days shy of starting Kindergarten when CBS debuted "The NEW Price is Right", so I'm old enough to remember both Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy as announcers.  I like Rich well enough, but I certainly do get to missing Johnny & Rod both.  Whenever I watch a PYL ep on GSN, I get to missing Rod more, and whenever I hear Johnny announce, be it on a GSN show, or on my Match Game DVDs, I realize how he was, is, and forever shall be second to none.  I still miss those guys, and am so grateful that there are any shows at all that still are preserved.  Kenny Williams was another superb announcer who I believe goes overlooked quite often.  He too had a very sharp and golden voice to me.

I definitely got to missing Janice & Kathleen after they were released.  I missed Dian when she left, I had a crush on her when I was growing up.  I remember Anitra & there was the sweet Holly.  It's really shameful how mistreated some of these models were.  It's nice to see Drew being nice with the current models on the show.  It's nice that he refers to them by name and not as "My Beauties".  I always felt that was kind of a demeaning term, and this coming from a 41 year old man.

Thanks all, I've missed having chances to read and post on this board.  I began posting circa 1995 on the old atgs boards, back when Randy Amasia was still among us.  It's great to still see "Chuckie Baby", Matt Ottinger & fostergray on here.  It's nice to be kind of "back" again.

Kindest regards,
Bill McD.

eday_2010

The Price Is Right
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »
I wish I could get my hands on eipsodes from the 80's and 90's. That's when I watched the show the most, and miss a lot of things about them (the models - Dian was my favourite - Rod Roddy, the set), plus it's be fun to see what stuff cost back then and how everyone was dressed. That's what I like best about watching the 70's episodes on DVD.

Mr. Armadillo

The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »
They REALLY need to find a way to bring Penny Ante back...with all the time cuts, they need another (relatively) short GP game so they don't have to play Pick-A-Pair every third show (or so it seems).

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
The Price Is Right
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:23:32 AM »
I miss the big curtain, the asterisks on the score displays, and the surprise bonuses after winning an item up for bid.

Oh... and Bill Cullen.  ;)
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:30:46 AM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' post=\'182893\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 04:23 AM\']
I miss the big curtain, the asterisks on the score displays, and the surprise bonuses after winning an item up for bid.[/quote]Backstage hanky-panky doesn't cut it?

Oh, those bonuses.

As far as the original topic goes, maybe its my young(er) age (23), but I'm immensely enjoying the show again after not enjoying it for at least the last five.  I think its best to leave the past in the past and move forward.  Barker had his day in the sun.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:32:55 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Neumms

The Price Is Right
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »
I miss the days when the set was actually cool, which is to say when it was first designed, not the "hey, look how funky and dated we are" late-Barker-period repaintings and the "hey, look, we must be insane" current redesign which is horses--t now and would have been horses--t 35 years ago, too.

There's no reason they can't make the set look hip yet retain charm, something like "Cash & Carry" from Europe.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
"Horseshiat" is an awfully strong word. I mean, really, if I just don't like something I see on TV, then sometimes I turn the channel, and sometimes I don't. If I think something is "horseshiat," that's a strong enough opinion that I go out of my way to watch something else.

Methinks some people in this thread would do well to take that advice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:16:23 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'182904\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 10:14 AM\']
"Horseshiat" is an awfully strong word. I mean, really, if I just don't like something I see on TV, then sometimes I turn the channel, and sometimes I don't. If I think something is "horseshiat," that's a strong enough opinion that I go out of my way to watch something else.
[/quote]

I suppose if "Say When!" was still around I'd watch that, but where else on television can I test my skill at estimating the prices of furniture and digestive supplements? I just wish the set was cool.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'182906\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 08:26 AM\']
I suppose if "Say When!" was still around I'd watch that, but where else on television can I test my skill at estimating the prices of furniture and digestive supplements?
[/quote]
I believe you prove my point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:59:18 PM »
As far as Price goes, there are only 2 things I miss: Penny Ante and Super Ball. I like the direction in which the show is going, and it's only going to get better from here.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
The Price Is Right
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
Wow.  It's amazing to see how some people here can't let go of the past.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 02:18:24 PM by mparrish11 »
--Matt

Matt Ottinger

The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' post=\'182919\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 02:17 PM\']
Wow.  It's amazing to see how some people here can't let go of the past.[/quote]
I really don't see anything wrong about discussing things you miss about a 35-year-old television program that's undergone changes.  I can miss Mike Wallace's regular contributions to 60 Minutes and I can miss Don Meredith singing Turn Out the Lights... on Monday Night Football without feeling mired in the past.

This forum tends primarily to be nostalgic in nature, discussing the history of older shows more often than the recent developments of current ones.  Cheap shots about being stuck in the past, especially in a thread which is clearly marked as nostalgia, will not advance you to the bonus round.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Price Is Right
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »
There are far, far more shows from the '50s through the '80s which our members have seen thanks to GSN, than there are new titles which have debuted since, say, 1991. By "new titles" I exclude such shows as Family Feud, Match Game, Twenty One and Temptation, The New Sale of the Century.

It's nice that he refers to them by name and not as "My Beauties". I always felt that was kind of a demeaning term
When they went to daily-hire models, I question whether Barker even bothered to learn their names, at least some of them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:05:54 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'182922\' date=\'Mar 31 2008, 12:02 PM\']
When they went to daily-hire models, I question whether Barker even bothered to learn their names, at least some of them.
[/quote]
The rotation had begun while I was announcing the show in 2003/2004. Barker had the names of the day's models and announcer in his dressing room for review before air. He mentioned me quite often by name, only having a moment of forgetfulness once on the dozens of shows I did. I'm not sure what his batting average was with the models. <insert your own joke here>

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Price Is Right
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 02:50:55 AM »
Barker had the names of the day's models and announcer in his dressing room for review before air.
Yeah, but wouldn't he also need like a picture to tell which model was which?

Waaaaay back in the early '70s, when it was just Janice and Anitra, ISTR Barker referring to the models as "you" a lot, while at the same time Dennis James was referring to them by name. I also STR the term "Barker's Beauties" didn't come into existence until after the debut of the 1977 ABC sitcom "Blansky's Beauties".