Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndie DOND question  (Read 1995 times)

entguy1

Syndie DOND question
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Read the Perfesser's update on the syndicated DOND, which made me wonder -- is it going to double-run or just single?

abba

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Where did you see this update?

NickS

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'184083\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 06:04 PM\']
Read the Perfesser's update on the syndicated DOND, which made me wonder -- is it going to double-run or just single?
[/quote]

Single, AFAIK.

TimK2003

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'184091\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 08:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'184083\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 06:04 PM\']
[/quote]

Single, AFAIK.
[/quote]

Unless something drastically changes, for the start of the '08-'09 season, we are losing one syndicated show -- Temptation (though, for most of us, it's not any loss whatsoever) -- but we are gaining two -- Deal and Trivial Pursuit.  

It would be safe to assume that we are now getting to the point where there will enough game shows on the syndie market that stations could be doing less "double" runs and having more different game shows.  It's all going be on a market by market basis, and there will be quite a bit of fluctuation between those markets as to which show(s) will be double run, and which won't.

Here's a scenario: In a 4-channel market, Station 'A' has the Wheel/Jeopardy combo in their "early prime" hour (7-8p/6-7p Central).  Station 'B' offers up a half-hour of local or national news and then one of the tabloid shows.  Station 'C' Double-runs Millionaire and Station 'D' runs a one-two combo of Family Guy and The Simpsons.  

Stations A & B more than likely won't change their scheds based on the strength and longevity of their shows.

Assuming both of the Freshman shows this fall would be placed during early prime, there would only be room for one double-pumped show.  More likely, Station C will run Millionaire one time and add one of the new shows, while station D would drop one of the animated series and take the other show.

Of course it's just a hunch, but it's a safe bet that at least a few markets will run into this scenario in real life.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:07:23 PM by TimK2003 »

abba

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
(Massive overquoting deleted. -DZ)

Did they officaly annouce that Temptation is cancelled?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:26:48 AM by dzinkin »

TheInquisitiveOne

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »
Also keep in mind the fact that the other syndie game show squeaked by for another season: Merv Griffin's Crosswords.

The NBC O&O in my area (Chicago/Northwest Indiana) still has the double run. With the new season, they can easily dump one half of the double run and replace it with Deal.

Ideally, they could place MGC between Deal and Ellen...since one show has staying power, and the other is riding the high of the NBC version.

The Inquisitive One

/of course, I could be wrong about everything.
//I was wrong during March Madness...
This is the Way.

peiboy91

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:43 AM »
According to HollywoodTickets.com it looks like the first syndie taping will be May 20, which seems early for the fall but makes sense if they want enough shows for a double run or get a head start before taping next season's primetime shows.

tpirfan28

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:36:56 AM »
What became really odd in my area is that we never had dual-runs of pretty much any game, until this year....then everything got a double run.  Not a lot in my area would be willing to move...Ellen/Phil/Oprah/Rachael...about the only thing would be some Law and Order repeats (they're up against Ellen and Oprah).

I wouldn't think any station airing Family Guy/Simpsons as an hour in prime-access would knock off one for a game.  Just seems like too strong of an hour.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:38:41 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:40:53 AM »
As far as advertising goes, the double-runs are a quick, easy way for a station to sell an entire hour based on one rating, rather than two separate half-hours with two different ratings, no matter how small the difference. (Plus, it gives extra life to rerun episodes that have zero dollars in additional production cost.)

Ad inventory management is that much easier when any given ad needs to be placed in an hour rather than a half hour.

That's not to say that stations won't start mixing it up a bit, but I hope that gives a bit of explanation about why stations program double-runs. I know there's more to it, but if the sales manager says "it's easier and more economical to sell it this way," that's usually the way it gets done.
You should follow me on Twitter

uncamark

Syndie DOND question
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »
I personally don't think we're going to get a single-run game show in syndication until somebody decides to go after "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" in access--and unless the Fox-owned stations pair up a game show with "TMZ" in access, I don't think that's going to happen for a while.  "ET"/"Insider"-"Access"/"Extra"-"Wheel"/"J!" (or replace one of each with local news) are too established at this point and are not going to go away any time soon.

When there were openings in access, KW tried single runs with "Squares" and Disney tried with "WWTBAM," but weren't successful in access and eventually (a little longer with "Squares") retreated to daytime and double runs (although repeats from previous seasons in both cases).

The Fox-owned stations could pair "Trivial Pursuit" with "TMZ" in access, but something tells me they bought it for daytime double-run use.  There's also the matter of the popular sitcom reruns, but if Fox is planning in Chicago to put all (or most, if their contract for "Tyra" says that it only airs on their MyTV stations) of the first-run talk/court/tab/game shows on the Fox station (WFLD) and all off-network shows on the MyTV station (WPWR, starting last month with stealing "Raymond" from WGN), they could be planning to do this in their other duopoly markets.