Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Beat The Clock" photo album  (Read 2700 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"Beat The Clock" photo album
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
Right here.

Some nice pictures...I don't remember the set looking like that, however.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

whizofthequiz

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'183406\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 05:38 PM\']
Right here.

[/quote]

Wow! Those pictures seem to be from the first year that was taped in New York at the Little Theater off of Times Square. I saw them tape there about 6 times. Behind the players on the bench were squares that indicated whether they were betting on the "clock" or the "star." Contestants received prizes for winning a stunt. Very cool!

Has that first year of NY shows ever been shown on GSN?

Whiz of the Quiz

joker316

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »
I must admit I don't remember it looking like that either. I seem to recall it looking like the cover drawing of the MB home version; that is the large rectangles having one or two large circles within, not "dotted like dominos" (my words, so blame me).

I was wondering if whiz of the quiz was at the pilot tapings or were they regular season episodes. And how early into the season were those shows. Please whiz of the quiz, elaborate! Thank you!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

No first-year episodes have been run on GSN.  When they first went on the air in 1994, they ran Jack's version from Montreal for about a year, then switched to Gene Wood's version.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:48:10 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
No first-year episodes have been run on GSN.  
Do those first-year shows actually exist today?  If they do, GSN should bring them on!  Those were the shows which aired in 1970-71 prime time over the ailing Kansas City indie KCIT-50, and I long to see them with no interference from grainy reception or strong-willed family members who routinely wrestled the only 82-channel TV in our home away from me so they could watch THEIR shows which they thought were the ONLY ones worth seeing in color.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

snowpeck

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:35 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'183430\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 09:20 PM\']
Those were the shows which aired in 1970-71 prime time over the ailing Kansas City indie KCIT-50, and I long to see them with no interference from grainy reception or strong-willed family members who routinely wrestled the only 82-channel TV in our home away from me so they could watch THEIR shows which they thought were the ONLY ones worth seeing in color.
[/quote]

Quite the run-on sentence you have going there.

Back on topic though, not even any of the Narz episodes that have run in specials or tributes have been from the first season?

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

whizofthequiz

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whizofthequiz\' post=\'183407\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 06:36 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'183406\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 05:38 PM\']
Right here.

[/quote]

Wow! Those pictures seem to be from the first year that was taped in New York at the Little Theater off of Times Square. I saw them tape there about 6 times. Behind the players on the bench were squares that indicated whether they were betting on the "clock" or the "star." Contestants received prizes for winning a stunt. Very cool!

Whiz of the Quiz
[/quote]

Those pictures were from the first year run. The pilot was done at Reeves Teletape Studio on 81st and Broadway - they taped Sesame Street there in it's early years. I read on the web that they did 13 weeks at Teletape before moving to the Little Theater but I don't remember that - I thought they only did the pilot at Teletape. At the Little Theater, they shared the facility with David Frost. Jack Narz took great pride that the helium balloons used often went to the rafters and would burst during Frost's interviews! I do remember Dick Hyman's playing the organ at the back of the theater. Pretty cool! One guest I remember from that first year was Larry Blyden who had just started hosting "The Movie Game."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
I'd heard that Dick Hyman and his organ were located up in the balcony. Not true?

The Little Theater was also home to Who Do You Trust? on ABC and to Merv's Westinghouse talk show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'183529\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 10:04 PM\']
I'd heard that Dick Hyman and his organ were located up in the balcony.[/quote]
<giggity!>
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe