Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson-Todman in Sports Illustrated  (Read 2544 times)

DrBear

Goodson-Todman in Sports Illustrated
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »
Sports Illustrated's Gil Rogin profiles Goodson-Todman in a 1963 article.

A quote that explains why...

"Sports and our type of game are very close," Goodson adds. "They are based on reality, not fiction. When you watch a game you sense this is real, this is not Cary Grant cast in the role of a quarterback and I've seen this before. It has a life sense. The unexpected is why people like games." All G-T shows are either live or taped no more than a week in advance. The tapes are edited only in rare cases of obscenity or outrageous boredom.

(boy, has THAT changed!)

(Oh, and if you want to see how it looked in the magazine, click on "view this issue" above the story.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:45:19 AM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 09:05:32 AM »
Great find.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'183306\' date=\'Apr 5 2008, 08:44 AM\']
"Sports and our type of game are very close," Goodson adds. "They are based on reality, not fiction. When you watch a game you sense this is real, this is not Cary Grant cast in the role of a quarterback and I've seen this before. It has a life sense. The unexpected is why people like games." All G-T shows are either live or taped no more than a week in advance. The tapes are edited only in rare cases of obscenity or outrageous boredom.
[/quote]
This should be beaten into the head of every game show producer working today.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »
Goodson a drummer?

I can vouch for the gray flannel wall covering and gilt fixtures in the W.C., as well as the custom blend of M.G. pipe tobacco and the motorized curtains and objets d'art in the office (which NY MOCA or the Met was bidding on).

At 6430 Sunset, Bill Todman did not even have an office. Mark and Jonathan Goodson had nice, decorated offices, and Chester Feldman had a shabby little office for when he was in town, but nothing for Todman.

With (K)KOL Seattle G and T join game show packagers cum radio station owners Jack Barry, Dan Enright and Merv Griffin.

geno57

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
What a great article!  Very in-depth, suprising where it came from.  Thanks for this!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
Wow. Who'd'a think that Sports Illustrated would have gone such in-depth into the workings of the most prolific game show production company? Interesting reading indeed.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'183338\' date=\'Apr 5 2008, 02:06 PM\']
Wow. Who'd'a think that Sports Illustrated would have gone such in-depth into the workings of the most prolific game show production company? Interesting reading indeed.
[/quote]
It also captures some of the tension that was starting to form between Marko and Billy (don't know if Bud Austin was on board at this point, but he would ultimately take over Todman's functions).

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
Question for Chris:

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but who was the staffer in the 50's hired by CBS directly to take on game shows?

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
SI also did an article on Jeopardy several years back, using the same theme - a good game show is like a sport. Neat article, with comments from Art Fleming and Alex Trebeck. Hope they'll have that in the archives somewhere.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'183482\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 01:44 PM\']
SI also did an article on Jeopardy several years back, using the same theme - a good game show is like a sport. Neat article, with comments from Art Fleming and Alex Trebeck. Hope they'll have that in the archives somewhere.
[/quote]Is this it?

WhammyPower

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'183482\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 12:44 PM\'] SI also did an article on Jeopardy several years back, using the same theme - a good game show is like a sport. Neat article, with comments from Art Fleming and Alex Trebek. Hope they'll have that in the archives somewhere. [/quote]
This one?

NOTE: Spelling corrected in quote

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'183482\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 01:44 PM\']
SI also did an article on Jeopardy several years back, using the same theme - a good game show is like a sport. Neat article, with comments from Art Fleming and Alex Trebek. Hope they'll have that in the archives somewhere.[/quote]
When I was on Jeopardy, the local sports radio station did an extensive interview with me on what Jeopardy had in common with sport.  Specifically, we equated the timing of hitting the buzzer with the timing of swinging at a pitch.  Too early or too late, and you're not successful.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'183447\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 03:49 AM\']
Question for Chris:

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but who was the staffer in the 50's hired by CBS directly to take on game shows?
[/quote]
I honestly don't know. I'm thinking about who was around G-T in the '50s and all the major players were busy and successful with shows. The only person who comes to mind, and it is likely wrong because it is merely a guess, is Willie Stein. Don't spread that name around because there is a high likelihood it is incorrect.

This is a good question for Bob Stewart (is he finished speaking yet?).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:00:59 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'183492\' date=\'Apr 7 2008, 02:53 PM\']This is a good question for Bob Stewart (is he finished speaking yet?).[/quote]
Last time I dropped by the Beverly Hilton, he was up to anecdotes about Winning Streak, so it shouldn't be much longer now!

Seriously, I'm editing the video of the event.  Mind-numbing is the only word that comes to...mind, which is such a shame because I was really looking forward to hearing his stories.  By comparison, Don Pardo's off-the-cuff stories in the lobby the night before were tons more entertaining.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Last time I dropped by the Beverly Hilton, he was up to anecdotes about Winning Streak, so it shouldn't be much longer now!
You mean the Beverly Garland. The Beverly Hilton is haunted by the ghost of Merv Griffin.

When I left the room, Stewart was bawling over Anne Marie Schmitt.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:54:28 AM by chris319 »