Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TTD Reruns  (Read 2229 times)

tvmitch

TTD Reruns
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
This is somewhat nitpicky...

I've been catching up on the latest eps of TTD on my DVR, and have noticed that the video quality of the first segment of some of these episodes is subpar, almost like a second-gen tape copy. After the first break, the video quality goes back to the same, sharp image as the rest of the GSN reruns. It's not in every episode, but maybe every third episode or so.

I'm just watching these and not saving for posterity, so I don't care about the quality - I'm just wondering how it's technically possible that the first segment of these episodes don't look as polished as the later segments. The episodes wouldn't be split up on separate tapes, would they? Don't all the episodes go through the same conversion process?
You should follow me on Twitter

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
TTD Reruns
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'183634\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 12:59 PM\']
This is somewhat nitpicky...

I've been catching up on the latest eps of TTD on my DVR, and have noticed that the video quality of the first segment of some of these episodes is subpar, almost like a second-gen tape copy. After the first break, the video quality goes back to the same, sharp image as the rest of the GSN reruns. It's not in every episode, but maybe every third episode or so.

I'm just watching these and not saving for posterity, so I don't care about the quality - I'm just wondering how it's technically possible that the first segment of these episodes don't look as polished as the later segments. The episodes wouldn't be split up on separate tapes, would they? Don't all the episodes go through the same conversion process?
[/quote]

There is the possibility that the heads on the quad[?] machines got dirtied up in the middle of dubbing some of the shows. They may mave cleaned the heads, and gone back to work on the rest of the show.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

WhammyPower

TTD Reruns
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
Well, if it's every third show, it could be that the beginning of each tape is bad...

/Didn't they put three shows on the same tape back then?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:28:46 PM by WhammyPower »