Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aussie "Power of 10" axed after 2 eps - "Gladiators&quo  (Read 2539 times)

pownster

Aussie "Power of 10" axed after 2 eps - "Gladiators&quo
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
Well - it appears the "Power of 10" has run its course already. Dismal ratings have forced the Nine Network to replace the show with a documentary as of next Monday.

Here is an article from today's paper:

"Power without glory for Channel 9" - Herald Sun (Mebourne), 9 Apr 2008.

(I kinda predicted this might happen)

As for "Gladiators" - it was the second most watched program in Melbourne all week - which will surely ensure that this classic show (which was a hit in the 1990's as well) will see a full season out at least.

"Tatiana Grigorieva is revelling in Gladiators role" - Herald Sun (Melbourne), 9 Apr 2008.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:48:09 AM by pownster »
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »
No matter where you go, Power of 10 doesn't have enough game to catch on.

Never mind the fact that the top prize will never be won. Maybe if the penalty were half the cash prize for a wrong answer instead of knocking it back down to the previous prize level...maybe someone would bite.

That's just me talking...it's just too much filler for a game that's relatively simple.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'183603\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 07:47 AM\']
Well - it appears the "Power of 10" has run its course already. Dismal ratings have forced the Nine Network to replace the show with a documentary as of next Monday.

Here is an article from today's paper:

"Power without glory for Channel 9" - Herald Sun (Mebourne), 9 Apr 2008.

(I kinda predicted this might happen)[/quote]

The article mentions that "Moment of Truth" failed for Channel 9 (who may "heart TV," but the viewers seem not to "heart" them).  Can I assume that this is the lie detector show that runs on Fox here?

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
BTW, will the Aussie version of The Rich List ever retutn?

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

pownster

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'183605\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 10:28 AM\']

The article mentions that "Moment of Truth" failed for Channel 9 (who may "heart TV," but the viewers seem not to "heart" them).  Can I assume that this is the lie detector show that runs on Fox here?
[/quote]
 Yes - it's the American version of that very show that is on the slide. Hopefully - Channel 9 will get the message and not produce a local version (like they were planning). I positively DETEST the format (as it seems many other people on this board do too from what I've read).

[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'183656\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 02:31 PM\']
BTW, will the Aussie version of The Rich List ever retutn?
[/quote]

Yes - unlike Channel 9 - the Seven Network are strugglng to find places to put quality shows. There have been contestant and audience calls for the show for several months now - I would except the show to return fairly soon.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

TravisP

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »
Since Power of 10 haven't had a lengthy run out in America and now down under. I suspect a UK broadcaster are now staying away from acquiring it. Unless a digital broadcaster like Sky One or Challenge decide to comission it but offer £100,000 as the top prize.

I assume with the shows demise it would pave the way for 1 Vs 100 to return soon? Given the Nine website states the show is coming back and there are some unaired episodes. I was surprised Power of 10 was getting ratings half what Millionaire was obtaining in the same time slot but perhaps this reviewer has summed up for a dud the production is.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv-reviews/powe...6207374885.html

To be honest, they might as well bring back Millionaire to the old slot, keep the revived rules and format, ditch the live shows and be done with.

Good to hear The Rich List is coming back, the UK version (Who Dares Wins) was also comissioned recently for a second series to air in the summer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:59:13 PM by TravisP »

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'183672\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 04:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'183605\' date=\'Apr 9 2008, 10:28 AM\']

[/quote]
 Yes - it's the American version of that very show that is on the slide. Hopefully - Channel 9 will get the message and not produce a local version (like they were planning). I positively DETEST the format (as it seems many other people on this board do too from what I've read).[/quote]

Well, when your big drama series can't air on one of the biggest markets in the country because it's too close to a real trial for the court's comfort--they should follow the advice in their jingle.  :)

(And when they have to tell viewers in that market that the show won't be seen, they call on one of their big game show hosts to deliver the message:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfbERnEEGA

Am I right that Eddie quit his executive position at Nine?)

TravisP

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'183739\' date=\'Apr 10 2008, 12:00 PM\']
Am I right that Eddie quit his executive position at Nine?)
[/quote]

Yes, he decided to step down last year, a few months into the 1 vs 100 recordings.

trustno1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »
After having a look at Power of 10, the only good thing about it was the host.  I thought he did very well to host a very poor show.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats