Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "I Won it Live" looking for your feedback/suggestions  (Read 1546 times)

dazztardly

"I Won it Live" looking for your feedback/suggestions
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »
Our next two live shows will be...

Saturday April 12th @ 7PM EST
Sunday April 13th @ 7PM EST

As my involvement with this venture is a work in progress, I'd like to hear what all of you think.

What do you like? What do you dislike? What would you like to see more of?

Take it easy,
-Dan Berger

goongas

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
I would like there to be more trivia questions or skill-based game to pick contestants.  If you have to limit players to play only one game a night, so be it, in order to prevent trivia masters like myself from winning many of the questions.  

I would like explained how the contestants are picked for each game when they are chosen.  It is truly random, or is someone just looking at the list of players and picking names?

I would like more games of skill.  But judging from the long thread about this show, the producers don't like trivia much, so I don't know how many other types of skill-based games they could play.

Also, I would like to see more variety of games that don't repeat themselves every night.  Acey-Duecy played twice a night is a bit much.

I am wondering, what is the business model for this show?  Vendors supplying gift cards as prizes?  Advertising?

I don't know if computer animations like your flash games are in their future, but it would help out the production values for the show.

dazztardly

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
Thank you for everyone who participated in tonight's broadcast. I received some nice constructive feedback from several people via the chatroom and private message.

We debuted one new game tonight entitled, "Four-Card Monte". More new games are on the way. Also be on the lookout for some updates to the set as time progresses.

Some of the games featured on the show, will also be available for play on the website in the upcoming weeks.

Any other questions/comments you have, please let me know. This way, we can get a grasp on what all of you want as a viewer of our show.

Our next show is Sunday April 13th @ 7PM EST. Hope to see you then.

Have a good weekend,
-Dan Berger
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:20:33 PM by dazztardly »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:09 AM »
I sat through all two hours of Saturday and the final hour of Sunday.  I originally wrote a much longer piece but finally decided to keep it fairly brief.

When you are a contestant, it's definitely a lot of fun to compete for a real prize.  (With the exception of an occasional pricing game, they're games of luck and random chance using a deck of playing cards.)  As a player, it's exciting even though you don't really have a lot of control over what happens.   Prizes are decent: gift cards mostly in $10 and $25 denominations, though someone won a $100 one in Sunday's game.  As I said elsewhere, better that what PlayCafe typically pays out.

On the other hand, as a viewer the games offer very little to engage you.  Contestants are just typing their actions in a chat window, and keeping a random-chance game interesting without contestant interaction is frankly beyond the skill level of the on-air talent.  I don't want to get into a detailed review of the performers, so instead I'll just direct you to a typical game as presented in this YouTube clip and allow you to judge for yourself.  

The mechanics of what's going on could use a lot of work.  There's an awkwardness at the beginning of each game as selected contestants (who may or may not still even be around) are asked to identify themselves.  We're also asked to take a lot of stuff at face value including (as goongas noted) that contestant selection is as random as the hosts claim.  And I have to say that it struck me as pretty odd to see 'dazztardly' Dan himself end up as a contestant, when he's working for the operation.

In general, I think asking these guys for more trivia questions misses the point of what they want to do.  It's clear they aren't all that interested in trivia anyway.  They're obviously making a game that's fun for just about anybody to play.  Where they need the most work is in creating a show that's fun for people to watch.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dazztardly

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'183950\' date=\'Apr 13 2008, 11:03 PM\']
...And I have to say that it struck me as pretty odd to see 'dazztardly' Dan himself end up as a contestant, when he's working for the operation.
[/quote]

We addressed the situation with that this morning in our five-hour conversation. Since I'm technically NOW working on the show, my name is now removed from the random drawing pick.

-Dan

dazztardly

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:30:49 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'183858\' date=\'Apr 12 2008, 08:58 AM\']
I would like explained how the contestants are picked for each game when they are chosen.  It is truly random, or is someone just looking at the list of players and picking names?
[/quote]

It's a random pick. There are opportunities when a player may be picked more than once to play. However if you're a winner of a game, you will not be chosen as a contestant again.

I would like more games of skill.  But judging from the long thread about this show, the producers don't like trivia much, so I don't know how many other types of skill-based games they could play.
[/quote]

We are in the midst of adding more games to the show.

Also, I would like to see more variety of games that don't repeat themselves every night.  Acey-Duecy played twice a night is a bit much.
[/quote]

Acey-Deucy will sometimes be played twice a night, because it's a frequently requested game.

I don't know if computer animations like your flash games are in their future, but it would help out the production values for the show.
[/quote]

We are currently discussing plans of adding video screens to the set, to assist with gameplay.
-Dan Berger

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:02:58 AM »
I'm not going to pull any punches here, and I extend my apologies in advance if I offend anyone. In the YouTube clip that Matt linked to above it appears that you're trying to emulate a TV game show. By the commonly-accepted standards for TV game shows, the production values in the clip I saw impart an air of cheesiness and schlockiness which make it hard to watch. I don't mean to offend your emcee, but he is in dire need of a smarm-ectomy. The announcer, model and music are sorely lacking, and the set and graphics look like they were done at the local junior high school. The emcee needs structured language to work from.

Lose the canned audience reaction -- you're not fooling anyone. And please instruct your model not to put food in her mouth when she is on camera. I would hold off on the video screens until you get rid of some of the amateur look and feel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:05:21 AM by chris319 »