Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Pa$$word date, time set  (Read 2638 times)

DrBear

Million Pa$$word date, time set
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:48:29 PM »
CBS has announced its summer schedule, and the password is Sunday:

[font=\"Times\"]Sunday, Effective June 1[/font]

[font=\"Times\"]7:00-8:00 PM                              60 MINUTES[/font]

[font=\"Times\"]8:00-9:00 PM                              MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD (Series Premiere)[/font]

[font=\"Times\"]9:00-10:00 PM                            COLD CASE[/font]

[font=\"Times\"]10:00-11:00 PM                          TBA[/font]

(times eastern)

Note that June 15, the show will be pre-empted by the Tony Awards.

And on July 13, Big Brother takes over Pa$$word's spot, so the Password will be "Chenbot."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
Not for the May book, eh? Interesting....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jay Temple

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what it means that they put it in a time that doesn't even count as part of the season, but it can't be good. Game Show Marathon, anyone?

ETA: A quick count
June 1
June 8
June 22
June 29
July 6

Didn't they film six episodes? This gets worse and worse.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:14:36 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

rigsby

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
If I know CBS, they'll burn the other one off on Friday, July 4, when no one will be watching.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
Wow, a lot of people in the Bitter Barn already.

Couldn't be a better time slot.  Cranking up new episodes will take about 45 minutes.  Sunday night's a high viewership night.  It's been almost 20 years since the last run, so it'll be new to many.  Sit back and enjoy.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'184036\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 10:05 AM\']
Wow, a lot of people in the Bitter Barn already.

[/quote]

No, I'm just from a small town. :)

A summer run-off just appears to be a vote of no confidence in the show.  CBS has seen them and we haven't, so maybe they know best?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

colonial

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
I'm a bit surprised that there are so many gloomy Guses over MDP's scheduling.  Just because it is not premiering during "when the TV season counts" doesn't mean it will fail.

Millionaire, Survivor, AI and Dancing with the Stars all premiered in the summer and made successful transitions to the fall schedule.  Shows like America's Got Talent and So You Think You Can Dance have become big hits during the summer and could transition successfully to the fall if the networks chose to do so.

Premiering the show on June 1st is a good strategy for the Eye.  It has a strong lead-in in "60 Minutes," which tends to do well during the summer months (demos are questionable, though).  Competition will likely come from reruns of Ty Pennington (which, AFAIK, doesn't tend to rerun well), the Fox animated comedies (will do well in the demos), whatever NBC opts to put there and something from the CW scrapheap (CW has struggled to garner 1 million viewers on Sundays).  If CBS can manage to increase the demo from its "60" lead-in, MDP could be, at least, a minor hit.

CBS will promote the heck out of the show on its prime May programming, and Regis will promote it to death on his morning show (and his viewers are pretty loyal in watching Regis on anything he's on), and perhaps with David Letterman on the Late Show.

If it succeeds in the summer, perhaps the Eye could use MDP as a stopgap between Amazing Race cycles, if CBS opts to do two TAR tournaments on Sundays at 8 next season.

JD

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'183986\' date=\'Apr 14 2008, 02:55 PM\']
Not for the May book, eh? Interesting....
[/quote]

It seems to me that Conventional Wisdom states that you don't start new shows during the May sweeps, because you won't get noticed amongst all of the season finale cliffhangers.

Except, I guess, that NBC is season premiering "Gladiators" in May sweeps this time.  Of course, this has not been a typical year in prime time television.

Gus

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'184044\' date=\'Apr 15 2008, 09:56 AM\']
I'm a bit surprised that there are so many gloomy Guses over MDP's scheduling.[/quote]
You rang?

Actually, a FWIW-y comment to substantiate my appearance in this thread: NBC's dropping the "season" mindset, with new series and new episodes scattered throughout the year, including summer, starting this summer or fall IIRC. My thought is, has the summer = TV dead zone come about primarily as a result of the season system, or is there significantly less TV viewership?, and if the latter, has it been primarily just because it's rerun season, or some outside reason (pun partially intended)?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:32:42 PM by Gus »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
I think Daylight Savings time has taken some folks away from the tube.  Why watch TV when you have more daylight to do outdoor activities, shopping, etc.? Plus, savings time kicks in earlier now than it did before.  After dark, people start to settle in and are ready for a couple hours of TV viewing, be it network, cable, Tivo or DVD.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:49:09 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
After I told my mom (big original Password fan) about this, she wanted to know why CBS needed saved.

/don't have a problem with the time slot
//AR's been doing good in that slot, right?
///even with NFL overruns
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:48:01 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

calliaume

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'184194\' date=\'Apr 16 2008, 07:47 PM\']
After I told my mom (big original Password fan) about this, she wanted to know why CBS needed saved.
[/quote]
Because they are sinners!  Only the healing power of Password and Regis can save them!

"Do you want to be healed?  Do you want to be healed?  Then heel!"  (Yeah, it doesn't work as well in print.)