Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Is What Happens When You Watch GSN for Ten Minutes a Month  (Read 2315 times)

calliaume

1) Watched the opener of a 1980 Password Plus.  It's the start of a new week, celebs are introduced, and then... they go right into Alphabetics, 30 seconds after the celeb (Robert Walden) has met the contestant.  Not surprisingly, they don't do well.

My question is, would there have been any way they could have, say, gone to commercial right after introducing celebs and the contestants to give them 90 seconds more to chat?  And also, for the contestant to warm up (he said something about being out of it, which given it's probably been a week since the last taping, isn't a surprise).

2) Also saw a Playtex spot in which women were guessing what the largest bra size Playtex makes (it's 54DDD, which, scarily, I got right).  Lotsa women in bras.  This is a long way away from the spots I remember running during Password, in which Jane Russell would hold up the bra (without being in it herself), use a mannequin, or shut off the lights.  See, you young 'uns weren't missing as much as you think back in the '70s.

MikeK

• Martha!
This Is What Happens When You Watch GSN for Ten Minutes a Month
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'184405\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 11:46 AM\']2) Also saw a Playtex spot in which women were guessing what the largest bra size Playtex makes (it's 54DDD, which, scarily, I got right).[/quote]
Imagine the posture issues a woman with that size bra might have.

Isn't that the first thing to pop into all of your minds as well? ;-)

/For some, that might not have been the first thing to pop.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:53:32 PM by MikeK »

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'184405\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 08:46 AM\']
... 2) Also saw a Playtex spot in which women were guessing what the largest bra size Playtex makes (it's 54DDD, which, scarily, I got right).  Lotsa women in bras.  This is a long way away from the spots I remember running during Password, in which Jane Russell would hold up the bra (without being in it herself), use a mannequin, or shut off the lights.  See, you young 'uns weren't missing as much as you think back in the '70s.[/quote]
The Nat'l Assoc. of Broadcasters established the NAB Code back when TV was under fire. Stations voluntarily complied with the code because the failure to do so carried a huge penalty: The offending station would not be allowed to display the code logo. Big deal.

The code prohibited the wearing of "support garments", thus all the manequins and stuff for bras. Another great part of the code was that you couldn't have the camera show the inside of a toilet - only the profile or with the lid closed, no shots inside the toilet bowl - which would eliminante much of FOX's programming today   ;-)

Curt -send me an e-mail. Your link from the board apparently doesn't get to your inbox. Thanks.

Randy
randy@tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:39:42 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

rugrats1

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'184414\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 01:39 PM\']Another great part of the code was that you couldn't have the camera show the inside of a toilet - only the profile or with the lid closed, no shots inside the toilet bowl - which would eliminante much of FOX's programming today   ;-)
[/quote]

I wonder when that part of the code was discarded? Remember the Ty-D-Bowl man?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'184440\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 08:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'184414\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 01:39 PM\']Another great part of the code was that you couldn't have the camera show the inside of a toilet - only the profile or with the lid closed, no shots inside the toilet bowl - which would eliminante much of FOX's programming today   ;-)
[/quote]

I wonder when that part of the code was discarded? Remember the Ty-D-Bowl man?
[/quote]

IIRC, he was always in the tank.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'184444\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 05:51 PM\']
[/quote]
Precisely. And for exactly this reason.

/okay, that and the "flotsam" in the bowl would be difficult to negotiate
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:37:43 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'184449\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 09:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'184444\' date=\'Apr 19 2008, 05:51 PM\']
[/quote]
Precisely. And for exactly this reason.

/okay, that and the "flotsam" in the bowl would be difficult to negotiate
[/quote]
Naah. That's "jetsam". Flotsam is that other stuff.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 12:56:20 AM »
Victor Kiam ("I liked my Remington razor so much I bought the company") used to oversee television advertising for Playtex and was once a guest on CNN when I worked there. He said the invisible wearer of floating foundation garments was referred to as "ectoplasm". He claimed that once when the ectoplasm model didn't show up for a shoot, he put on a bra and played the ectoplasm.

Every contestant on P+ participated in rehearsal (with discarded material, of course), playing the game with Rich Jeffries and assorted stand-ins. I doubt one minute of commercial time with Robert Walden would have helped this guy's game.

The celebrities and Allen Ludden/Tom Kennedy came in cold.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:01:37 AM by chris319 »