Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Host Emmy  (Read 6394 times)

SteveR

Game Show Host Emmy
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
With the recent addition of the "Reality Host" Emmy in the primetime awards, I'm wondering about what appears to be a clouding of what shows go where.

The recent reports say that Mandel, Foxworthy, etc. would be eligible for the new Primetime award (right along with Probst, Seacrest, Banks, etc.).

But didn't Regis and WWTBAM pull down a few Daytime awards in its ABC heyday in 2000/01?

Or, am I missing a recent re-defining of the eligibility rules?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »
If those reports are right, that might be the greatest shark-jumping moment in Emmy history.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:26:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'184777\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 07:45 PM\']
If those reports are right, that might be the greatest shark-jumping moment in Emmy history.[/quote]
I don't know about JTS, but it sure does, as Steve suggests, cloud things up pretty badly.  My guess is that they'll give people like Howie and Foxworthy the option of submitting their entry either for this new category or for the traditional Daytime one.  Much like actors can decide whether to compete in Lead or Supporting categories.  It wouldn't seem fair to allow them to compete in both.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SteveR

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »
The reason I ask is that the only description of the Daytime criteria was for "daytime or syndicated" shows. I don't know when that was done, if it was right, or anything like that.

Not only is there the WWTBAM apparent departure from that, but Win Ben Stein's Money as well.

So, does that mean Drew can be eligible for both?

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'184790\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 09:42 PM\']
The reason I ask is that the only description of the Daytime criteria was for "daytime or syndicated" shows. I don't know when that was done, if it was right, or anything like that.

Not only is there the WWTBAM apparent departure from that, but Win Ben Stein's Money as well.[/quote]
Yeah, up until now, there's clearly been no distinction between daytime, prime time, syndicated and cable.  "Game shows" were covered in the daytime category, and that was that.

What is your source for this information?

SteveR

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'184798\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 10:47 PM\']
What is your source for this information?
[/quote]
It was on the AP entertainment wire. Here's one that works:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iFbXlyB...1yQlrQD907MG9O0

Oh, and the source for the eligibility info was (consider the source) Wikipedia.

We might get some clarity next Wednesday (April 30) when the daytime noms are announced on The View. (Clarity? On The View?)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:30:09 AM by SteveR »

Chuck Sutton

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »
My understanding is when the Reality Competition category was created primetime game shows went here instead of the daytime emmy.

Regis and Millionaire were before the creation of the reality competion emmy.

I beliive Drew Carey will be eligible for both the Daytime Emmy for game show host(The Price is Right) and Primetime Emmy  for Reality Competition Host(Price is Right MDS, The Power of Ten)   Actually I think he could be nominated for the night time one twice(won't happen but could)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:24:39 PM by Chuck Sutton »

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'184822\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 12:22 PM\']
My understanding is when the Reality Competition category was created primetime game shows went here instead of the daytime emmy.[/quote]
Which at least would be a rule that provides clarity, but a nonsensical one.  Drew is the obvious example, since he would be a "reality host" in prime time and a "game show host" in daytime for doing exactly the same work.

Of course, since TPIR is the only really, truly "daytime" game show on television anymore, the whole thing is something of a misnomer. It's only the general disdain for game shows that's kept them relegated to "daytime" awards all these years anyway.

uncamark

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
Let's go right to the horse's mouth--the Emmy rules:

Source:  http://www.emmys.org/downloads/2008/pte60_rulesandproced.pdf

Category 66 OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY OR REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
Emmy to hosts and co-hosts. The host or co-hosts must be so titled in the credits. The category is for the proactive “master of ceremony” host and does not include reactive participants (game players) or judges. Eligibility is open to the host(s) of programs entered in the following categories:
Category 77 Reality Program
Category 78 Reality-Competition Program
DVD REQUIREMENTS FOR CATEGORIES 65 AND 66: At the point of nomination (July 17), variety-music performers and hosts for reality and reality-competition programs will have to submit two DVDs that are edited down to the performer's appearances only. If the performer or host appears in the majority of the program, the DVDs can be the complete program or episode.

(That answers my question:  Since the credit on "Dancing" says "hosted by Tom Bergeron/Samantha Boo--uh, Harris," they must enter joint.  It's only if the credit gets changed to "Starring Tom Bergeron, With Samantha Harris" that Tom can enter by himself [which I bet is how Brucie is credited in the UK], but Tom's too nice a guy to make that request.  Also, Seacrest and Howie can go up against Penn and Teller, Mike Rowe, the "Mythbusters" guys or Ira Glass.)

Category 77 OUTSTANDING REALITY PROGRAM
Emmy(s) to producers whose screen credit is Executive Producer, Co-Executive Producer, Supervising Producer, Producer, Produced by, Senior Producer, Series Producer, and whose functions support those credits. (Entries are limited to a maximum of 10 entrants.)
Please note: The host is no longer eligible in this category. Please see category 66 for host eligibility.
For a series (minimum of three episodes) or a special Reality Program generally includes programs in which the premise, circumstances or situations are manipulated for the purpose of creating the program, unscripted reality programs, and docu-soaps.
The area excludes all game shows or any program that gives a prize or is itself a contest and/or competition.
Synopsis: Producers must provide a synopsis of 50 words or less. For series, please provide a synopsis that describes the complete series.

Category 78 OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
Emmy(s) to producers whose screen credit is Executive Producer, Co-Executive Producer, Supervising Producer, Producer, Produced by, Senior Producer, Series Producer, and whose functions support those credits. (Entries are limited to a maximum of 16 entrants.)
Please note: The host is no longer eligible in this category. Please see category 66 for host eligibility.
For a series (minimum of three episodes) or a special
Synopsis: Producers must provide a synopsis of 50 words or less. For series, please provide a synopsis that describes the complete series.
Reality-Competition Program includes all game shows or any program that gives a prize or is itself a contest and/or competition.

------------------

I'm wondering if either the game show producers haven't bothered entering themselves in the past because they thought they wouldn't win--but they could.

And I bet the hosts will be making entries--in fact, I'll go ahead and predict the Reality-Competition Host nominees:

Jeff Foxworthy
Howie Mandel
Jeff Probst
Ryan Seacrest
Either Bergeron/Harris, Drew Carey ("TPIR MDS" or "Po10"--take your pick) or Phil Keoghan

The non-competition reality show hosts and Heidi Klum as possible longshots.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:51:16 PM by uncamark »

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'184826\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 12:49 PM\']I'm wondering if either the game show producers haven't bothered entering themselves in the past because they thought they wouldn't win--but they could.[/quote]
Sorry to be so chatty in this thread, but all of this is interesting to me.  My question now is why there would be a separate game show category for the Daytime Emmys when the primetime category of Reality-Competition "includes all game shows".  Syndicated shows are eligible for other prime time categories, so they certainly ought be eligible for this.

bandit_bobby

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
Let's talk about who should be eligible this year.

At the very least, Alex Trebek, Meredith Viera and Drew Carey should be nominated for Best Game Show Host. A few maybes include John O' Hurley, Pat Sajak and Ty Treadway. No chance in Hell Rossi Morreale gets nominated.

uncamark

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'184829\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 12:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'184826\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 12:49 PM\']I'm wondering if either the game show producers haven't bothered entering themselves in the past because they thought they wouldn't win--but they could.[/quote]
Sorry to be so chatty in this thread, but all of this is interesting to me.  My question now is why there would be a separate game show category for the Daytime Emmys when the primetime category of Reality-Competition "includes all game shows".  Syndicated shows are eligible for other prime time categories, so they certainly ought be eligible for this.
[/quote]

We go right to Criteria for Eligibility:

1.  Programs (and individual achievements within them) are eligible for nomination if they were originally aired or originally transmitted during the eligibility year in any primetime period (6:00 PM - 2:00 AM) (i) by broadcast to at least 50% of the total potential U.S. television audience or, (ii) by pay/basic cable transmissions (including by way of example so-called basic cable, pay cable, pay television, pay-per-view, interactive cable and broadband) to markets representing at least 50% or more of households in the United States.

(But wait--there's more!)

2. To be eligible, a program must have its "premiere" airing during the eligibility period. This "premiere" must be the first airing and promoted and reviewed as such. Preview screenings, which are aired late-night and are not promoted or reviewed will not qualify as an eligible "premiere."

3. Where there is a program that is eligible for placement in more than one category, the producer has discretion, with the final approval of the Primetime Awards Committee, to enter the program and its individual achievements in any category where they are eligible. The placement of a program, automatically directs the placement of all individual achievement entries, e.g., if a program is placed in comedy series, performances must follow in comedy series categories (or, where there is no such direct correspondence, the most appropriate category).

4. Game shows that fall short of Primetime and Daytime eligibility, because they lack more than 50% penetration in either Daytime or Primetime time periods (but have a total Primetime-plus-Daytime penetration of greater than 50%) are eligible to enter in either the Daytime or Primetime Emmys (in accordance with the eligibility rule in the next paragraph). Producers of programs that have both a daytime and nighttime version must choose one or the other for entry in either the Daytime or Primetime Emmy Awards. A syndication market listing must accompany all syndicated entries.

Game shows initially broadcast in primetime during the hours of 8:00 PM and 2:00 AM Eastern Time and the corresponding primetime period in the other time zones are to be judged and presented as a part of the Primetime Emmy Awards competition and ceremony. Game shows broadcast prior to 8:00 PM are eligible in the Daytime Emmy Awards.

---------------------

And there you go--so if GSN wanted to nominate Chuck for "Lingo," they can enter him in either one (although I assume it would be a joint entry with Shandi).  CBS and Fremantle now must decide whether they want to be in the daytime or nighttime--something tells me they'll stay in daytime.  And "Wheel" and "J!" must stay in daytime.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
Couldn't Zeke be nominated along with Drew for the same show?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 02:26:58 PM »
For some reason, I've heard Zeke could be nominated.  They'd be stupid to do so; honoring a guy who doesn't need it.

The list could be:
Trebek
Sajak
Carey
Morreale
Treadway
O'Hurley
Viera
Ben Bailey (didn't he get a nod daytime last year?)
technically Barker?

I'd put a frontrunner at Carey just because he succeeded Barker ("sympathy vote") with Bailey, Trebek, and Viera next.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Host Emmy
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 02:32:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'184831\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 01:08 PM\']
Game shows initially broadcast in primetime during the hours of 8:00 PM and 2:00 AM Eastern Time and the corresponding primetime period in the other time zones are to be judged and presented as a part of the Primetime Emmy Awards competition and ceremony. Game shows broadcast prior to 8:00 PM are eligible in the Daytime Emmy Awards.
---------------------
And there you go[/quote]
Indeed.  So the correct answer is that they made a specific exception for game shows that was written to directly target syndicated programming and not cable.  So the long-awaited Alex Trebek/Heidi Klum smackdown is once again put on hold.