Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game in Second Life  (Read 4802 times)

sshuffield70

Match Game in Second Life
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »
Second Life is a 3D multimedia online role playing game.  I've been a resident in Second Life for over a year now.  I reside in an area called Eternal Creations and own and run the club there.  Typically, we have events there three or four nights a week.

I've decided to add a series of game show event nights to spice things up.  The first one will be Match Game tomorrow night.  Six members of the community will make up the panel, and two contestants (just like the show) will try to match as many as possible in hopes of winning lindens.  The game will play much like MGPM.  The only exceptions are there will be one audience match, and the values decrease to 250/150/100.  The total possible payout per person per show will be 2850L.  Now, for those that don't know. unlike Newtons and other virtual dollars, lindens have an actual value, which is currently around 270 lindens per $1USD.  Plus, we have no sponsors.  So that's why we're starting off cheap.

We're having a runthrough tonight, and I hope to have some pictures from that to show what I've been able to build (built everything so far except the MG logo wall).  But if you are interested in coming and checking it out, lemme know.

Thanks for letting me be a part of such a great group.  Hope you all can come.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
I do not participate, but I'll pass this along to someone who does.  Sounds like fun, provided you don't get complete morons.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I'll point out that a) to sign up you have to give Linden Labs your credit card information (or a PayPal account; functionally equivalent for (b), keep reading), and b) they've had some security issues in the past.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:41:33 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'185110\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 11:41 AM\']
I'll point out that a) to sign up you have to give Linden Labs your credit card information (or a PayPal account; functionally equivalent for (b), keep reading), and b) they've had some security issues in the past.
[/quote]

a) No you don't.  My wife has a free account with no CC info on it.

b) They fix breaches as quickly as they can find them.

Sounds like fun, provided you don't get complete morons.

Yeah, there's always the chance.  I hope there's none of those.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:35:05 PM by sshuffield70 »

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'185114\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 09:33 AM\']
a) No you don't.  My wife has a free account with no CC info on it.[/quote]
Love to know how she did that:
Why We Ask For Credit Card or PayPal

During the registration process, you are asked for a Credit Card or PayPal account to confirm your identity.
b) They fix breaches as quickly as they can find them.
Oh, well, then by all means, I'd be more than happy to trust them with personal sensitive financial data!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:31:31 PM by clemon79 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
Well, I told people, and so you should get some sort of attendance.
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'185114\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 12:33 PM\']b) They fix breaches as quickly as they can find them.[/quote]
Man, that is so totally the opposite of a recommendation.

I mean really, what's the alternative?  Ignoring breaches once they find them?  "Sorry, I can't be bothered with that hacker right now, I'm fighting ogres in level seventeen."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ITSBRY

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'185118\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 01:30 PM\']
Love to know how she did that:
[/quote]

I've not used Second Life much since I signed up about a year ago so this may have changed, but I also have a free account. I never provided any credit card information.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:27:58 PM by ITSBRY »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »
The whole providing of personal financial information notwithstanding, can someone explain the appeal of Second Life? From what I can glean, it's a metaverse where you can "interact" with other people on the server. But there are several ways to conduct Match Game in a similar fashion without having to host in a location where you have to have a credit card on file to join.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

sshuffield70

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'185134\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 04:45 PM\']
Well, I told people, and so you should get some sort of attendance.
[/quote]

Thanks.  I hope it goes better than tonight.

A foul up involving the stage prevented the runthrough tonight.  I'm hoping there's one tomorrow afternoon.  The stage was built as a 10x8 for a 30x30 studio area (essentially the studio area is the club stage).  One of my associates tried to enlarge it to 30x30, and there was a comedy of errors.  Now, I expected a comedy of errors (but that was for during the game), and I've never said (nor will ever say) that this is the best set in the world.  I feel though that it's pretty faithful to the '7x and '90 sets.  I hope that we can properly work out the kinks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:10:44 PM by sshuffield70 »

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'185147\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 06:59 PM\']
The whole providing of personal financial information notwithstanding, can someone explain the appeal of Second Life? From what I can glean, it's a metaverse where you can "interact" with other people on the server.[/quote]
As a fifteen-year LambdaMOO user (yeah, I'm old school), I can see the appeal, and in fact I did noodle with Second Life a little bit, way back, before the security breach to which I linked happened and I decided that maybe I didn't trust them so much. Unsurprisingly, on a free account, spending no money on microtransactions, you can do very very little to personalize your character, but you also don't need to to interact with other players. Just don't expect to get noticed.

I would say, if you can in fact make a free account today without divulging any information you wouldn't splatter in 72-point font on the main page of your website, and you have a PC capable of running the client (and it ran fairly well on the box I was running before this one, so most folks here likely do) that it's worth trying out and judging for yourself. Me, I thought all of the 3-D World-of-Warcraft stuff just got in the way of connecting with other people, which is what I am chiefly looking for in an experience like that. But then WoW is a massive hit, so what the hell do I know.

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »
One note - if you haven't tried Second Life before, make sure you have a decent computer. Mine's a bit old (early Windows XP-era) and not well-memoried, and I couldn't get it to do much of anything.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
Not a total failure tonight, but it also did not go smoothly.

Joe, you will be happy to know Colin did come tonight and play.  And won 1-0.  (100L).  Also got the top audience match (250L).  I wouldn't be surprised when he blogs about it that he mentions me and avatar Happi Jansma.  Although he did miss the big one (American Pie vs. American Flag), he ended up with 350 (I know it's supposed to be 600 on the show but.......LESKO!).

Near the end of that game, I discovered that the other questions I had written earlier today (for after)  went missing.  I thought I had saved them, but maybe not.  Next time, I'll actually use pen and paper!

Anyway, I have plans for another show, but I haven't worked out the set design yet (much less the set).  As we schedule and get closer, I'll announce it.

GSFan

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »
How do you find the studio in Second Life?  I would have been there.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'185148\' date=\'Apr 30 2008, 09:09 PM\']
A foul up involving the stage prevented the runthrough tonight.  
[/quote]

What happened? A hermaphrodite minotaur flew threw the set on accident again?  

/Don't get Second Life.  At all.
//Yes, I did try it once.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 06:11:57 PM by Seth Thrasher »