Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DOND Winner Take All idea  (Read 1133 times)

jalman

DOND Winner Take All idea
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
I just tossed this around in my head because watching DOND w/this twist is still the same ol' DOND except the ending:

Both contestants are backstage with Howie; each contestant chooses from one of three cases with their respective numbers inside.  The contestants open the cases and the higher number gets to choose whether to play first or second.

Playing second has this advantage: the second player gets to know the first player's offers but not whether they Dealt or Not.  This would mean the player going first would play through the entire game regardless of where the first Dealt (i.e. the postmortem "If you had said No Deal...").  This is to readily compare offers in case the second player goes all the way in normal gameplay.

The catch is once the second player Deals, they no longer know what the other player was offered.  I was thinking of the potential dramatics of a contestant mulling over "what could have been" should he or she Deals Too Soon, dealing on a early suboptimal offer.

At the end of the second game, the first contestant comes out and do the big reveal like always during these occasions.

I am not going to pretend that I'm a game format expert or an excellent TV producer; this is all just to spark some discussion.  There are likely many holes in this idea (e.g. the choice to go first or second is unnecessary).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
The simple answer is that it's too complicated.  A lot of things that would make a more interesting game (and let's face it, there's not much any LESS interesting than "open your cases --- you have more, you win!") don't work because you're asking too much for a viewer to follow it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'185211\' date=\'May 1 2008, 08:30 PM\']The simple answer is that it's too complicated.  [/quote]I thought the simple answer was "That gives a lot of extra information to the second player who only won that privilege through being slightly luckier than the other guy."

But hey, you host Masters of the Obvious, then. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:11:51 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle