Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Mad Dash on GTV  (Read 4459 times)

ChuckNet

The Mad Dash on GTV
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
To our friends up north: Has GTV started airing any eps beyond the inital dozen that they've played into the ground since adding "traditional" game shows to their lineup?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")

vtown7

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Chuck - not sure, I'll try to keep a look out for new ones.  Also, if everything goes right, I might get to talk to the creator for a quick second in a couple of weeks, I'll try to ask him.

Ryan

ChuckNet

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »
Thanks, Ryan...incidentally, producer/creator Sidney Cohen has said he'd consider mounting a revival if he recieved enough feedback from GTV viewers. Wonder if he's still tossing the idea around...

Chuck Donegan (The Optimistic "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »
incidentally, producer/creator Sidney Cohen has said he'd consider mounting a revival if he recieved enough feedback from GTV viewers.

Now that would be something to get excited about!  

/Keeping fingers crossed...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

RyanCDN

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'185639\' date=\'May 7 2008, 03:38 PM\']
Thanks, Ryan...incidentally, producer/creator Sidney Cohen has said he'd consider mounting a revival if he recieved enough feedback from GTV viewers. Wonder if he's still tossing the idea around...

Chuck Donegan (The Optimistic "Chuckie Baby")
[/quote]

This has been airing for a while now on GTV, since they reformatted the channel.  I got a noted from Sidney a while back saying it woudl be shown.  Unfortunately, as in previous discussions with him, I believe there are only a limited number of episodes available.  I am not sure, but it is possible what is aired may be from his own personal library.

I know the show was done overseas for a period of time.   The concept was simple and it worked, and became on of the longest running game shows in Canada.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

gamed121683

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »
Hmmmm...if this article is any indication, RyanCDN's hypothesis could have some merit:

http://thespecial.ca/ts/2008/01/canadian-n...es-a-mad-d.html

As a bonus, I'll also throw in this GameTV promo for the popular Canadian series. Enjoy, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5CA6CIRlw

Ian Wallis

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »
I read the article but I don't know why they just don't go to CTV and see what they have.  Since the show ran into the mid-80s, I'd be shocked if it was completely wiped.  I wonder if GTV is on a tight budget and might be running the eps Cohen has for free - or for a small leasing fee.  Maybe he just wanted the exposure of the show again to see if he could mount a revival; but with only 12 episodes you get into the famous GSN "rerun abuse" syndrome which will likely put a ceiling on the ratings.
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:55 PM »
I read the article but I don't know why they just don't go to CTV and see what they have. Since the show ran into the mid-80s, I'd be shocked if it was completely wiped. I wonder if GTV is on a tight budget and might be running the eps Cohen has for free - or for a small leasing fee. Maybe he just wanted the exposure of the show again to see if he could mount a revival; but with only 12 episodes you get into the famous GSN "rerun abuse" syndrome which will likely put a ceiling on the ratings.

Yeah, def makes you wonder...don't want it to become (rerun-wise) another Blockbusters 87 or worse, Junior Pyramid (how often can you watch the same 5 eps over and over again??). However, if a revival does come of this limited rerun cycle, would def be great.

Speaking of revival, if one does come to fruition, wonder if Cohen could get Pierre Lalonde back to host...he still looks good for his age and doesn't seem to have anything else going on.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

vtown7

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »
Well I'm back from this year's Reach for the Top Ontario provincial tapings, and before we even started, one of the PA's was nice enough to give us the tour of the studio, which included a visit with one Sidney Cohen.  He actually recognized me by face from last year which led to a nice conversation.

He commented that yes, those 14 episodes that GameTV is running are pretty much all that they have.  He said that out of 400 that they are the only ones that still exist - he really was sad about that, but that's all he's got, everything else has been erased.  He also said he has enjoyed reading the comments when some of the clips have popped up on the net.  He was also flattered to hear that it has a following!

Wish I had different news but sadly I don't.  He was very kind to speak and took the time to take a picture with myself and my reach team members (which I'll get around to posting at some point).

Cheers!

Ryan

Allstar87

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »
That's a real shame it was erased; caught it for the first time on YouTube and really dug it. I assumed a show that aired into the mid-80s would have more existing episodes, but you know what they say about assuming...

At any rate, glad you got to meet the guy...and I hope a revival comes down the pike someday. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:51:10 PM by Allstar87 »

Ian Wallis

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
He commented that yes, those 14 episodes that GameTV is running are pretty much all that they have. He said that out of 400 that they are the only ones that still exist - he really was sad about that, but that's all he's got, everything else has been erased.

Wow...I guess this also means early years of Definition and other Canadian classics are probably gone too.  Looks like the Canadian networks were worse than the American networks in saving old daytime programming :(
NEW LOCATION!!!

vtown7

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:20:51 PM »
I'm thinking it might be according to certain shows - the Just like Mom episodes that Game TV has been airing span the end of season two and the start of season three - possibly they have more, you never know...

Oh, and I have it on a pretty reliable source that there's not going to be a season three of Inside the Box :(

R.

Matt Ottinger

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'186010\' date=\'May 14 2008, 06:46 PM\']Wow...I guess this also means early years of Definition and other Canadian classics are probably gone too.  Looks like the Canadian networks were worse than the American networks in saving old daytime programming :([/quote]
Don't know about "worse" but it sure sounds like "as bad as".  Seems like if there really were a bunch of Definition episodes lying around somewhere, we'd have heard about them by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CliffColeclough

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »
He was cool with clips being posted on youtube?  That's awesome.  

Does anyone want me to post more on there, now that I know I won't get banned for posting it?

Allstar87

The Mad Dash on GTV
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' post=\'186077\' date=\'May 15 2008, 05:18 PM\']
Does anyone want me to post more on there, now that I know I won't get banned for posting it?
[/quote]

Go for it; I know I'd love to see more!