Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Misconceptions you have had about game shows  (Read 17027 times)

William A. Padron

Misconceptions you have had about game shows
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
One misconception that quickly came to my mind was when I first watched the Jack Narz-hosted version of Concentration as "A Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production" with the G-T Programs copyright, I had assumed that the company purchased the game outright from NBC as the new owners.  What made it more confusing that the Milton Bradley home box game, issued with new editions even after the cancellation the network daytime show, was still bearing the copyright assigned to NBC on the side of the box.

It was until the age of the Internet that I finally understood that NBC simply licensed Concentration to the syndicator Jim Victory Television and Goodson-Todman to stage and produce the show out there in Los Angeles.  I even thought that the old mechanical game board even made the relocation to the updated new set as well.  It sure sounded a bit like it, perhaps rougher, while the trilons were moving.
[Take The "A" Train]

DJDustman

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »
I always thought the NBC applause was just the same audience members attending Burbank over and over and over and over....

Monarx

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »
For a bit I believed the rumor that Alex Trebek was drunk on the last show of High Rollers... I kinda wish the legend wasn't proven false.  Ah well.

Also, I thought that the bonus round winners on Masters of the Maze would never come back from their "journey" due to the graphic effect thing.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'185792\' date=\'May 10 2008, 07:27 PM\']
I always thought the NBC applause was just the same audience members attending Burbank over and over and over and over....
[/quote]

Yeah! OWWW!
@lambertman

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'185797\' date=\'May 10 2008, 07:25 PM\']
[/quote]

Yeah! OWWW!
[/quote]
Well played.

Took me a long time before I realized there actually was an audience.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:29 AM »
Here's another one I had as a child...

Back in 1982, I thought TJW was taped at the studios of both WCBS New York and WKBS Philadelphia (RIP).  This misconception continued into the Cullen run, now with me thinking it taped at WOR's studios.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

William_S.

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2008, 02:07:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'185810\' date=\'May 11 2008, 12:25 AM\']
Here's another one I had as a child...

Back in 1982, I thought TJW was taped at the studios of both WCBS New York and WKBS Philadelphia (RIP).  This misconception continued into the Cullen run, now with me thinking it taped at WOR's studios.
[/quote]
That and  WPVI 6 in Philly. Back in the day. In the long ago, In the Before time !!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2008, 03:22:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' post=\'185794\' date=\'May 10 2008, 04:30 PM\']
For a bit I believed the rumor that Alex Trebek was drunk on the last show of High Rollers... I kinda wish the legend wasn't proven false.[/quote]
Um, why?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Scrabbleship

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'185798\' date=\'May 10 2008, 08:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'185797\' date=\'May 10 2008, 07:25 PM\']
[/quote]

Yeah! OWWW!
[/quote]
Well played.

Took me a long time before I realized there actually was an audience.
[/quote]

The exact opposite of me. I thought every show had an audience.

This would be more of a generation gap issue from pre-Internet times, but I somehow thought that the (weekly) nighttime versions of 70's daytime games (Cullen Pyramid, MG PM, etc.) were strips. Luckily, old issues of TV Guide righted me before some of you guys would have!

Veejay7

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
When I was a wee young lad, I used to think TPIR had multiple turntables, and all the games were "at the ready" behind their own specific panel at all times!    Figured that out pretty quickly.

Old school-- also used to think the Concentration board was at least six feet tall.  It took a while to figure the rebus was only just over 3' by 4'

The miracle of television.. why can't things be as big and wonderous as they appear when you're 7?

aaron sica

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Veejay7\' post=\'185851\' date=\'May 11 2008, 07:57 PM\']
The miracle of television.. why can't things be as big and wonderous as they appear when you're 7?
[/quote]

Or 13......:) I was that age when my parents and I took a trip to Nashville and attended a taping of "Crook & Chase"...I was quite surprised to see how small the studio was in person.......Not nearly anywhere as big as it looked on TV...

pownster

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
When I watched "Wheel of Fortune" back in the early days here in Oz - when they still had the Shopping component - I used to think that the contestant had a choice of ALL the prizes on display.

And I could never understand why contestants were forced by the host to spend as much as their money on prizes as possible - I mean, wouldn't you just want to keep ALL THE CASH fof yourself to buy your own things?
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

ChuckNet

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »
I used to think that contestants would win $35,000 grand total for making up the Pyramid twice in one show. Wasn't until I saw season one eps of "The New $25,000 Pyramid" on USA that I realized it was really $10,000 for the first trip and $15,000 for the second for a TOTAL of $25,000.

Apparently John Davidson wasn't cued in on this fact...on one ep, he told a contestant who won $10K in the first WC that doing the same in the 2nd one was worth a total of $35K, and on another ep, there was a champ who'd won $10K on the last show...she then won both WCs that day, and while wrapping up afterwards, John said she had a grand total of $45K.

Of course, there were a lot of other things about the game that John wasn't cued in on either, but I'll leave it @ that. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:41 PM »
Or 13......:) I was that age when my parents and I took a trip to Nashville and attended a taping of "Crook & Chase"...I was quite surprised to see how small the studio was in person.......Not nearly anywhere as big as it looked on TV...

My first GS taping was WoF @ Radio City in 88...given the size of the stage, it accurately conveyed the depth of what the home audience saw, but that was a rare exception...I had the same shock upon seeing TPiR in July 97, not to mention it being apparent how much makeup Barker actually wore.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
On "The Price Is Right," the price doesn't always have to be right for a contestant to win, it just has to be closest.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.