Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Random scoreboard question  (Read 3281 times)

Kevin Prather

Random scoreboard question
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
Just throwing out a topic of discussion.

When Michael Larson went into six-figures on PYL, we saw how his eggcrate scoreboard handled it. It simply dropped the dollar sign to allow the sixth digit. We've also seen how TPiR handles a six- or seven-figure showcase winner. It simply refrains from showing the final total on the display, and just shows it on the chyron.

What I'm wondering is, what would certain shows do if the scoreboard ran out of room, and it was necessary for scorekeeping purposes to have the accurate score displayed? For example, if a Jeopardy contestant broke $100k with the old vane displays.

Discuss.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:44:19 PM »
TPIR's recent Spectaculars (all of Drew's), when there was a seven-figure showcase winner, the first six digits showed...the full total was digitally displayed.  This is unlike the two instances on Barker's Price, where they didn't show the total (I think it blinked the difference, then turned off.)

Didn't they add a dollar sign or an extra digit on paper or something like that on some shows if that happened?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'185782\' date=\'May 10 2008, 02:44 PM\']
TPIR's recent Spectaculars (all of Drew's), when there was a seven-figure showcase winner, the first six digits showed...the full total was digitally displayed.  This is unlike the two instances on Barker's Price, where they didn't show the total (I think it blinked the difference, then turned off.)

Didn't they add a dollar sign or an extra digit on paper or something like that on some shows if that happened?
[/quote]
I remember that happening in the 80s on "Wheel"; a contestant left with over $100,000, and the sunburst display (which also displayed a color-coded eggcrate) only held five-digits. Pat simply held up a piece of paper with a "1" on it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'185782\' date=\'May 10 2008, 01:44 PM\']
TPIR's recent Spectaculars (all of Drew's), when there was a seven-figure showcase winner, the first six digits showed...the full total was digitally displayed.  This is unlike the two instances on Barker's Price, where they didn't show the total (I think it blinked the difference, then turned off.)[/quote]
You could make the case that the difference was, on Drew's shows, they'd won a $1,000,000 bonus on top of everything else, so the six-figure total was actually meaningful as to what they'd won (namely, everything else).

Barker's big winners, on the other hand...that didn't apply.  Nothing that VickyAnn won, for instance, added up to $47,517 or whatever it was.

KrisW73

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
On the Liar's Club (1970's) someone broke the 10K mark, and they simply tacked a "1" as the lead digit on their Solari display.  

For the life of my I cannot remember the host, if it was Armstrong or Ludden- it was shown once on USA (that I can remember).

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
[quote name=\'KrisW73\' post=\'185937\' date=\'May 13 2008, 02:40 PM\']
On the Liar's Club (1970's) someone broke the 10K mark, and they simply tacked a "1" as the lead digit on their Solari display.  

For the life of my I cannot remember the host, if it was Armstrong or Ludden- it was shown once on USA (that I can remember).
[/quote]

It had to have been Armstrong, as USA never showed any Ludden eps.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

KrisW73

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'185941\' date=\'May 13 2008, 03:23 PM\']
It had to have been Armstrong, as USA never showed any Ludden eps.
[/quote]

Thank you.  Its been a while since watching those shows.

irismason42

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
Actually, fostergray82, this occurance had to be from the chyron backdrops era, the sunbursts backdrops era not only showed the player's overall total which was only seen in the NBC Daytime version particually, but the sunburst backdrops era was what had the episodes that were heavily bicycled and sometimes recorded out of order due to each consecutive episode having 3 different players.