Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GS-type game for the Wii  (Read 2111 times)

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
New GS-type game for the Wii
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/_n140...gR11WOpb09UXCE7

Looks like fun, going to try it out tonight.  :-)
--Matt

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
I saw some video of it today. Which is good, because it saved me $10. COMPLETELY pedestrian, uninteresting game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »
I'll have to do more research on it but it sounds like it might be interesting as something I can play on the Wii with my 11 year old son... and might have a chance of winning.

/Please, not Wii Sports tennis again, Kieran... haven't I been humiliated enough for one night...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:40:38 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
I bought it and it's not too bad.  It's definitely campy...but the family loved it.
--Matt

Sodboy13

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:49:55 AM »
It's a multiple choice quizzer where all players answer at once, yet there's no sort of lockout system, and the pointer-driven selection system means everyone's answer selections are out in the open.  If that doesn't discourage you from laying out 10 bucks, I dunno what will.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:17 PM »
We did buy it and my son and I had a reasonably fun time playing last night.  

The contestant answering first does get the most cash so there is an advantage to being first to choose your answer even if everyone else copies it, including the computer players who are needed to fill in to four total contestants.  (We only have two Wii remotes at the moment.)

The game borrows from at least Millionaire (answer format), Wheel of Fortune (there is a wheel spun between quiz question rounds) and Deal Or No Deal (in that some music seems close); I could probably think of others.

I think it will find an audience although it's more likely to not include diehard game show fans.  It's certainly enough fun that I'll keep playing it with my son.

/Whom I did finally beat at a Wii game...
//Well that makes once...

irwinsjournal.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »
Is it fair to assume this doesn't use the Wii's wifi capabilities?  Playing this online *might* make me consider buying this.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
I really can't recommend strongly enough that people avoid this game.

The format is basically thus: Three or four multiple-choice questions, you can see everyone's Wiimote cursors during answer selection, but the first one in gets more money, and then everyone has the chance to spin the wheel, which randomly adds or subtracts money, sometimes coming from another player, sometimes from the bank. Lather, rinse, repeat a couple times.

If all you care about is that it looks like a game show, then by all means spend the $10. If you want an actual entree with your appetizer, you're going to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:26:40 PM by clemon79 »

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »
I don't think there is WiFi capability.  

Chris summed up the game play well.   I'm not terribly disappointed since I didn't have high expectations to begin with.  

The most important thing about the game is that I can share it with my son.  For me that's worth the $10, which is about what it costs to take my two kids out for ice cream these days... if we get the small servings.

There's no doubt that "Your mileage may vary."

irwinsjournal.com

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:28:52 AM »
[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'186484\' date=\'May 20 2008, 08:23 PM\']
The most important thing about the game is that I can share it with my son.[/quote]
And that's absolutely a fine reason to get it. I just want to make sure that folks know that as a game, in and of itself, it's a pretty empty experience. But if it gets you playing something with your son, hey, then it serves its purpose. :)

(And yeah, no WFC support.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:29:48 AM by clemon79 »