Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show article in PiQ magazine  (Read 2280 times)

dzinkin

Game show article in PiQ magazine
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
A couple of months ago, some members of this forum were asked if they'd mind being interviewed for an article on game shows.  Kevin Gifford, the editor-at-large of PiQ Magazine and the one who sent out those emails, informs me that the article is in Issue 2, which is now hitting newsstands.

I was interviewed but have no idea how many others were; I do know that this forum received a plug.  A copy of the magazine is on its way to me, but if others see it before I do, I'd be interested to hear about it.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »
I assume this'll be the one with Sam & Max on the cover, right?  Can't wait to find it.

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'184719\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 03:10 AM\']
I assume this'll be the one with Sam & Max on the cover, right?  Can't wait to find it.
[/quote]
It is.  And now that I have obtained a copy, a few quick notes.  In the interest of full disclosure: I don't know how many people responded to the emails from editor-at-large Kevin Gifford, but it appears that the only one quoted was yours truly.  That said, I think the article is more than fair.

- I'm not sure if the information on how one particular show's episodes were located is correct, and I think Kevin overestimated the size of my collection — I've never actually counted how many episodes I have — but there's nothing glaringly wrong in the article.

- There are plenty of screenshots.  Much of my collection is in storage, but I tried to make sure Kevin got in a wide range nonetheless.

- Randy Amasia is included in a discussion of camaraderie among game show fans.

- Anyone reading the article will learn my deepest, darkest game show secret.  (No, it doesn't involve pineapple rings or Jiffy-Pop.)

- Joe Raygor is officially permitted to read the article, as a picture of Rolf Benirschke is included in a sidebar on "Five things you didn't know about... game shows."

I'd love to hear what others think, but overall I'm glad that someone featured our little corner of pop culture fandom without dismissing us as a bunch of losers/otaku/whatever term you want to use. :-)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:20:54 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »
Now that I have obtained permission to post a PDF of the article, anyone who's interested can download it here.

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'186643\' date=\'May 22 2008, 09:26 PM\']
Now that I have obtained permission to post a PDF of the article, anyone who's interested can download it here.
[/quote]
Thanks for this. BTW, Cool letter you got from Pat Finn.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

William A. Padron

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'186643\' date=\'May 22 2008, 09:26 PM\']
[/quote]

Yeah, thank you for the link to the article, which was fascinating and thoughtful to read.  Yes, I do agree with the statement that the game show fan hobby really is indeed overall a "fun pastime", which can include telling the stories and reminding of usually good memories of the genre.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:35:48 AM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

tpirfan28

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
Who's the creepy guy stalking Vanna White's shadow?  Oh, don't worry--it's just Rolf Benirshchke.  Wait, who?
There's a line of the day.

Great read.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Indeed - and the photo montage was great, too. Seeing Jack Narz from one of those 60's Seven Keys episodes and a couple of other early Narz-hosted shows, I think I finally hit on one of the reasons he's my favorite - do you notice a bit of the Dean Martin mellow, there-for-a-good time feelin'?

clanky06

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:34:56 AM »
I was preparing breakfast this morning and an old joke popped into my head:

A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and tells the doctor that his family told him that he needs psychiatric help.

"Why do they think that?" the doctor asked.

"Because I like pancakes," the man replied.

"That's ridiculous!" the shrink responded. "I like pancakes!"

"Oh do you doc? You must come over to my house—I have 5 trunks full of them!"

Now what's interesting is that if you replace "pancakes" with "game shows" the joke is no longer funny!

(I know, I know—I'll save you the trouble. Some of you didn't think the pancake version was funny either.)