Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal in the Daytime  (Read 7204 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'187079\' date=\'May 30 2008, 08:37 AM\']
Really? For as harsh as we all tend to be with the US version, your fears about the game being unwatchable would be put to rest after one ep of theirs. Seriously.[/quote]
So wait, because I didn't jump to my feet and say "OMG THE BRIT SHOW IS THE BEST EVAR LOLWTFBBQ!!!!111!!!", I'm lying when I say I've seen it?

I've seen it. Overblown melodrama for people doing nothing more mentally taxing than picking numbers doesn't do it for me. The Australian version keeps it light, keeps it moving, and keeps it fun. That's the Deal I wanna see.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187080\' date=\'May 30 2008, 11:56 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'187079\' date=\'May 30 2008, 08:37 AM\']
Really? For as harsh as we all tend to be with the US version, your fears about the game being unwatchable would be put to rest after one ep of theirs. Seriously.[/quote]
So wait, because I didn't jump to my feet and say "OMG THE BRIT SHOW IS THE BEST EVAR LOLWTFBBQ!!!!111!!!", I'm lying when I say I've seen it?

I've seen it. Overblown melodrama for people doing nothing more mentally taxing than picking numbers doesn't do it for me. The Australian version keeps it light, keeps it moving, and keeps it fun. That's the Deal I wanna see.
[/quote]
My bad. I completely misread it, and thought that you had NOT seen it. Apologies.

You did stumble upon my basic issue with the game itself: There is no game. You pick a number and hope you've won a lot of money. The fact that the UK version adds the psychological drama makes it 'much' more watchable to me. But , your mileage may vary.

/Peace out.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'187081\' date=\'May 30 2008, 09:03 AM\']
The fact that the UK version adds the psychological drama makes it 'much' more watchable to me. But , your mileage may vary.[/quote]
I'm not disagreeing. It's absolutely *more* watchable. I just have a problem with taking the lack of game so seriously.

Put me in a room with three TVs, one showing the UK Deal, one showing the Aussie Deal, and one showing the US Deal, and here are the three scenarios that occur:

1) I watch the Aussie Deal.
2) If that TV breaks, I watch the UK Deal.
3) If *that* TV breaks, I start looking for a rusty butter knife to plunge into my temple.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187089\' date=\'May 30 2008, 01:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'187081\' date=\'May 30 2008, 09:03 AM\']
The fact that the UK version adds the psychological drama makes it 'much' more watchable to me. But , your mileage may vary.[/quote]
I'm not disagreeing. It's absolutely *more* watchable. I just have a problem with taking the lack of game so seriously.

Put me in a room with three TVs, one showing the UK Deal, one showing the Aussie Deal, and one showing the US Deal, and here are the three scenarios that occur:

1) I watch the Aussie Deal.
2) If that TV breaks, I watch the UK Deal.
3) If *that* TV breaks, I start looking for a rusty butter knife to plunge into my temple.
[/quote]
Other than reversing the first two,  'yes', we're in agreement. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:42:39 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 02:56:58 PM »
Buzzer and Hollywood Junket have the tree and some other gameplay info.

Not bad, I'd say.
This signature is currently under construction.

J.R.

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187080\' date=\'May 30 2008, 10:56 AM\']I've seen it. Overblown melodrama for people doing nothing more mentally taxing than picking numbers doesn't do it for me. The Australian version keeps it light, keeps it moving, and keeps it fun. That's the Deal I wanna see.[/quote]
I agree with this. While I enjoy both versions equally, I usually find myself downloading Aussie Deal more often than the UK one.

The UK version very much acts like the fate of humanity rests with what is in the contestant's box. The wrong move will bring harsh condemnation from the host. ("You've blown the opportunity at thousands and made a cowardly horrible deal"  Yes, I've really heard that.)

But, if nothing else, I really enjoy the family atmosphere of the UK show. There is a camaraderie among the contestants waiting to play that is really wonderful to watch sometimes. (But, even that can get a little sappy too)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:11:59 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Casey Buck

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
If you don't want to go to the link, here's the board layout:

$0.01 $1,000
$1   $2,500
$5   $5,000
$10  $7,500
$25  $10,000
$50  $25,000
$100 $50,000
$200 $75,000
$300 $100,000
$400 $250,000
$500 $500,000
I think it's pretty good, it's more balanced, and much less top-heavy than the current board.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:11:15 PM by Casey Buck »

Brig Bother

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
Five days and out? What's the point in that, then?

If you can't do something properly because of filming schedules or whatever then modify the format so each episode is self-contained, don't somehow become the worst of both worlds.

J.R.

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'187106\' date=\'May 30 2008, 02:48 PM\']Five days and out? What's the point in that, then?[/quote]
Buzzerblog also mentioned that those who are not selected in a week are put back into the contestant pool and may be given another opportunity.

There could also be an issue with work schedules as well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:00:57 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

tvwxman

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'187106\' date=\'May 30 2008, 03:48 PM\']
Five days and out? What's the point in that, then?

If you can't do something properly because of filming schedules or whatever then modify the format so each episode is self-contained, don't somehow become the worst of both worlds.
[/quote]

On one hand, that does suck, becuase you know they're simply going to use LA people to fill the contestant pool, because they'll be able to get there on a few days notice. Anyone watching, thinking that they have a legitimate shot at being a contestant, is foolish.

On the other hand, this is a pure luck-based game. The game isn't a reward for answering trivia questions, doing good deeds, or pricing shoe polish. So, with that in mind, if 22 players go on for a week, and only 5 actually play, then good. It should be pure luck all the way through.
-------------

Matt

Brig Bother

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 04:07:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'187111\' date=\'May 30 2008, 08:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'187106\' date=\'May 30 2008, 02:48 PM\']Five days and out? What's the point in that, then?[/quote]
Buzzerblog also mentioned that those who are not selected in a week are put back into the contestant pool and may be given another opportunity.

There could also be an issue with work schedules as well.
[/quote]

I understand both of those things (although goodness knows work commmitments are seen as legitmate risk elesewhere in the world) but it still misses the point entirely. The idea of the communal fluid contestant pool is that there's a group dynamic and you get to know the players before their game is played. In just having players for five days, for 22 minutes, it's going to be very difficult to care. And if that's the case, why not just use the Aussie model? The Norwegians can use a US-style set and play a Miljeonenjacht-esque elimination game, there's no reason why you couldn't either.

J.R.

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'187113\' date=\'May 30 2008, 03:07 PM\']I understand both of those things (although goodness knows work commmitments are seen as legitmate risk elesewhere in the world) but it still misses the point entirely. The idea of the communal fluid contestant pool is that there's a group dynamic and you get to know the players before their game is played. In just having players for five days, for 22 minutes, it's going to be very difficult to care. And if that's the case, why not just use the Aussie model? The Norwegians can use a US-style set and play a Miljeonenjacht-esque elimination game, there's no reason why you couldn't either.[/quote]
You do raise some good points, the whole "getting to know the contestants inside and out" angle is another thing I enjoy about the UK version.

I would love to see the show adopt the Aussie format myself. It's really the best way to play quickie DoND with a half-hour slot.

While were at it, maybe get Andrew O'Keefe to cross the Pacific too? :-)

/BOOYEAH!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:33:34 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'187101\' date=\'May 30 2008, 12:07 PM\']The UK version very much acts like the fate of humanity rests with what is in the contestant's box. The wrong move will bring harsh condemnation from the host. ("You've blown the opportunity at thousands and made a cowardly horrible deal"  Yes, I've really heard that.)[/quote]Similarly, one of the things I dislike about Deal From Noel's Basement is that they go on about fate, and Cosmic Ordering, and what have you, and it's all picking numbers. I suppose if they want to go on about superstition, that's their dime, but when they propagate the Gambler's Fallacy, it really boils my meat.

Conversely, I like it when Andrew runs down the possibilities of continuing to play. ("If you leave the $100,000 AND the $50,000 on the board, the offer should approach $25,000. Leave one and the offer goes to $20,000. Remove both and you're playing for bus fare and a Megaguess.") He treats the game as what it is: an exercise in playing of odds, and pure luck.
Travis L. Eberle

TravisP

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 04:29:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'187139\' date=\'May 31 2008, 01:26 AM\']
Conversely, I like it when Andrew runs down the possibilities of continuing to play. ("If you leave the $100,000 AND the $50,000 on the board, the offer should approach $25,000. Leave one and the offer goes to $20,000. Remove both and you're playing for bus fare and a Megaguess.") He treats the game as what it is: an exercise in playing of odds, and pure luck.
[/quote]

We are now adapting this tactic in some form over here. It's been noticed in the last few weeks The Banker would ring up, telling the contestant what the next offer is, if he/she plays on and keep or lose the larger amounts. In addition, we have now adopted the Aussie's "Second Chance" feature, where a player can give back their deal and open their box. We're calling it "The Banker's Gamble".
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:29:45 AM by TravisP »

vtown7

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
Is the offer that Andrew makes on Aussie Deal rooted in probability (ie. approaching some kind of arithmetic mean) or is it being fed to him?

It seems in watching that he is speculating, and that this new tactic of Noel's version is that they actually know what the offer is.

Clarification anyone?

R.