Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal in the Daytime  (Read 7235 times)

rebelwrest

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'187139\' date=\'May 31 2008, 02:26 AM\']
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'187101\' date=\'May 30 2008, 12:07 PM\']The UK version very much acts like the fate of humanity rests with what is in the contestant's box. The wrong move will bring harsh condemnation from the host. ("You've blown the opportunity at thousands and made a cowardly horrible deal"  Yes, I've really heard that.)[/quote]Similarly, one of the things I dislike about Deal From Noel's Basement is that they go on about fate, and Cosmic Ordering, and what have you, and it's all picking numbers. I suppose if they want to go on about superstition, that's their dime, but when they propagate the Gambler's Fallacy, it really boils my meat.

Conversely, I like it when Andrew runs down the possibilities of continuing to play. ("If you leave the $100,000 AND the $50,000 on the board, the offer should approach $25,000. Leave one and the offer goes to $20,000. Remove both and you're playing for bus fare and a Megaguess.") He treats the game as what it is: an exercise in playing of odds, and pure luck.
[/quote]

But we also have to remember that the Aussie offers are close to the average, so Andrew can probably do the math in his head, whereas, Noel can't do it because the offers on the UK have a lot more variables in play (past offers, how the contestant compose themself), and they take 3 amounts off the board in each round.  Also, the offers are rarely near the mean.  So the odds are there, but the offers, well that is one way we play along at home (trying to predict the offers).
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'187207\' date=\'Jun 1 2008, 10:43 AM\']
So the odds are there, but the offers, well that is the one way we play along at home (trying to predict the offers).[/quote]
There, fixed that for you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Speedy G

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187208\' date=\'Jun 1 2008, 01:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'187207\' date=\'Jun 1 2008, 10:43 AM\']
So the odds are there, but the offers, well that is the one way we play along at home (trying to predict the offers).[/quote]
There, fixed that for you.
[/quote]
I beg to differ.

Drink or No Drink is another fine play-at-home game.

/Fist bump: one drink
//Anything annoying enough to make present company say "oh my god": two drinks
///Contestant makes a risk-averse decision: bottoms up
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

weaklink75

Deal in the Daytime
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 07:00:09 PM »
You also have to remember the scale of money involved- In the UK the top prize is 8-10 years salary for the average person (about 25,000 pounds on average), in Australia it's only 3-4 years salary (average is about 50,000 Australian dollars), so it's a nice bonus in Australila, but a huge amount in the UK...