Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud with Al Roker  (Read 23501 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Family Feud with Al Roker
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 02:44:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'188614\' date=\'Jun 21 2008, 03:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'188606\' date=\'Jun 21 2008, 03:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'Computer\' post=\'188584\' date=\'Jun 21 2008, 05:26 AM\']I going to watch this prime time family feud on nbc on tuesday june 24 to see how well these stars do with the answer plus family feud is favorites gameshow.[/quote]Thank you, mods.[/quote]
Ever so welcome.  Why should we have all the fun?
[/quote]

Just don't make a habit out of it. ;)

/hey, it gave me a chance to use a SB reference in a post. What can I say?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvwxman

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »
I lasted 12 minutes, and switched to Wipeout. Lisitening to Mrs. Ice-T made me want to take a box full of Sominex. I can't believe there was someone more annoying on that stage than Joan Frickin' Rivers.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
Anyone enjoying Wipeout as much as me?  I have not enjoyed a show this much in ages.  I don't know how I kept missing information about this one, I almost feel bad.  I can't encourage you to switch to Wipeout enough.  You can see a much better Family Feud in daytime.

Edit: I see Matt has the same idea as me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:37:01 PM by itiparanoid13 »

xavier45

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »
After 15 minutes of the show, I think I have that theme stuck in my head now.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »
Based on my first impressions, I would love to know why the first ten minutes of gameplay execution on this series premiere was almost similar, albeit loosely, to the first ten minutes of the series premiere of NBC's primetime revival of Let's Make A Deal?  **sighs**

Aside from that, I'm trying to get rid of a slight headache from all this constant clapping, repetition of theme music, and Raven-Samone's big mouth...(well in a different way.)
-Sanford

Shell

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
[/quote]
Which is why I've said many times, in the past, that the '94 theme should be brought back and used again. Everyone will recognize the tune as FF's, it's modern, has aged well, and I'd think you'd believe it would better "fit the set," as you argue the theme should. The opening music from '94, especially, I think is one of the best intro cues ever composed and would work fine in a primetime-ish environment.
[/quote]

After watching this just now, I concur wholeheartedly.  They didn't even bother to use alternate cues of the original theme, which kind of overkilled it's use.  The '94 theme would have been nice for this update, and not at all dated like the '76 arrangement.

Offshored2007

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
After 15 minutes of the show, I think I have that theme stuck in my head now.
I had that theme stuck in my head in 1976

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »
I lasted the entire first question, then went to Wipeout courtesy of the TiVo.  It took Wipeout a good 15 minutes to build up a head of steam.  I was near tears while laughing fiercely out loud during the round of 6.  TiVoing Wipeout over Celeb Feud was the right decision.

Jay Temple

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »
I did better than many of you. I lasted until the introduction of Raven-Simoné. Al Roker is the only thing they did right. (I liked hearing the '76 theme, but I probably would have tired of it if I'd watched all the way through.)

They chose, for the very first answer we ever hear on this version of the show, an answer that we don't get to hear. That should have told me what direction they were taking. Later (mild spoiler), sex made one of their surveys. That would have been fine, and very much in the tradition of the original, but they chose to put it on the board as "nookie."

I couldn't watch it any more when I heard Raven-Simoné squeal.

\I knew rappers got hot chicks, but, damn, even Ice-T's mother-in-law is attractive!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

jalman

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 02:01:25 AM »
First impression...that can't be the original 1976 arrangement; the theme has that prominent drumbeat and the slightly subdued horn section of the 1988 arrangement.

That Wipeout seems like a lot of fun; unfortunately I recorded Feud.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
Here's a review of the show from the New York Daily News:

'Celebrity Family Feud' is a waste of space
Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 4:00 AM

(Picture caption - see picture at the link below)
Frank and Kathie Lee Gifford with Al Roker on 'Celebrity Family Feud'

CELEBRITY FAMILY FEUD. Tuesday at 8, Ch. 4.

"The Feud" has a real if modest place in game-show history. Maybe it should consider staying there.

This new edition, featuring celebrity-led families and hosted by Al Roker, does its best to stay lively and a little bit naughty.

But there just isn't all that much going on.

For one thing, the guests feel recycled. Because they are. Well over half have done "reality" shows recently, and while it's probably easier for producers to use performers who know how TV works, there's a point at which we simply don't need to see Wayne Newton, Vincent Pastore or Deion Sanders again.

Ever.

For those just tuning in, "Family Feud" works like this. The show's staff has asked 100 random people to answer an amusing question like "What would you most not want to see your father wearing?" or to finish a phrase like "Holy (blank)."

Two teams of contestants then try to guess what those respondents said, and that's where the fun is penciled in. Did most people say "Holy Bible" or "Holy smokes"? Or was it a third option that Melissa Rivers suggests?

Like many venerable TV games, "The Feud" lets viewers shout out the answers. But even that, and even the adrenaline that starts to pump when the celebrity family shoots for a possible $50,000, isn't enough to make the show much more than a way to kill a spare half-hour.

What doesn't help, curiously, is the "celebrity team" concept, because it means we get one or maybe two celebrities and then their spouses, parents, children, siblings or friends.

So most of the guesses come from people we've never heard of, which kills much of the show's promised celebrity spark.

For the record, the two matchups tonight are the Ice-T family and Joan Rivers' family, then the Raven-Symoné family versus Newton's family.

For the further record, several members of each family will not be applying for Mensa membership anytime soon.

True, it's not easy to focus on even simple, common-sense matters while TV cameras are in your face, and true also, hearing stupid answers is part of the fun.

But it's not a promising sign when a show sometimes feels like it has been revived in part to keep a few dozen underemployed celebrities off the streets.
-http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t...te_of_spac.html

Offshored2007

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
How nice for NBC that certain cast memebers from a certain NBC show are going to play "in character" in future weeks (go check NBC's website with clips to see who).

Does every visual cue have to have a sound effect (like watching anything on Fox Sports)?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'188938\' date=\'Jun 25 2008, 12:02 AM\']Later (mild spoiler), sex made one of their surveys. That would have been fine, and very much in the tradition of the original, but they chose to put it on the board as "nookie."[/quote]
Really?  They put "nookie" on the screen as a substitute word for "sex"?  In 2008?

Haven't watched it yet.  Watched Wipeout instead.  And having seen Wipeout, it's hard for me to believe that I still may have made the better choice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'188972\' date=\'Jun 25 2008, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'188938\' date=\'Jun 25 2008, 12:02 AM\']Later (mild spoiler), sex made one of their surveys. That would have been fine, and very much in the tradition of the original, but they chose to put it on the board as "nookie."[/quote]
Really?  They put "nookie" on the screen as a substitute word for "sex"?  In 2008?
[/quote]
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6264/vlcsnap17452xi8.png

It's a raw pic (708K).  "Whoopie".  "Sex".  "Make Love".  "Nookie"....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Clay Zambo

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'188972\' date=\'Jun 25 2008, 11:33 AM\']
Really?  They put "nookie" on the screen as a substitute word for "sex"?  In 2008?[/quote]

Yup.  And that was the point at which I decided to fast-forward to the endgame.

Watched Wipeout instead.

I have this feeling I'm going to be fast-forwarding through that one, too.

Apparently I picked a good night to go to the theatre.
czambo@mac.com