Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Television Announcer  (Read 3860 times)

Don Howard

The Television Announcer
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
Network staff announcers are pretty much gone (Bill Rice at ABC and John Wilcox at CBS are all I can think of) and even game shows are hitting the air with the host just coming on stage and introducing the program and themselves. Some talk shows have them but Oprah and many of the others are already there waiting for us when it's showtime. Should Johnny Gilbert vacate his post on Jeopardy!, will he even be replaced? Will Vanna be heard doing all the prize plugs if Charlie O. leaves Wheel Of Fortune? She does some V/O announcements already. It seems the age of the golden voice has practically left the building. There are happy exceptions like Randy West, of course. Meanwhile, with Howard Reig's retirement, it's Michael Douglas heard during the opening to (what he calls) NBC Nightly Nooz.
Are there young pups out there who have the same respect for the old school style as Randy does who are out there to regale us with their powerful deliveries? For the most part, when I hear someone announcing, he's got a lazy pipe and slippers delivery and occasionally a lisp.
The voices are among us loud and clear during movie commercials and motion picture preview trailers yet even many radio stations don't have the forceful deliveries coming the members of their announcing staffs. Some of the jocks I'm hearing these days make Casey Kasem sound like Gary Owens.
Am I watching the wrong shows or are announcers on the tube becoming a memory?

TimK2003

The Television Announcer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »
[quote post=\'188317\' date=\'Jun 16 2008, 07:45 PM\']
Should Johnny Gilbert vacate his post on Jeopardy!, will he even be replaced? [/quote]

With a show like Jeopardy, it would be hard to change the show's opening without having an announcer. Just like it's damn near impossible to do The Price Is Right without an announcer.

Will Vanna be heard doing all the prize plugs if Charlie O. leaves Wheel Of Fortune? She does some V/O announcements already. [/quote]

Charlie can just about phone that job in as it is now.

Am I watching the wrong shows or are announcers on the tube becoming a memory?
[/quote]

No, it's just that newer game shows and game show openings are designed without needing an announcer.  Much like newer primetime shows have short intros, themes, etc... if any theme at all.

I'd want to say that maybe one reason announcers are going by the wayside is perhaps union-related? (IIRC,  most if not all game shows shot at the facilities of the Big 3 nets all had announcers and now that more and more shows are shot at neutral locations, it's not a required union issue, no???)

Now as far as the network or station announcers go, they have become extinct because voicetracking technology has become so economical and easy to do, as well as the cost of farming out work to "independent contractors" who pay for their own benefits & insurance and are not on the official company payroll  -- just like how it is in radio.

I'm sure that Mr. West can give us the definitive answer(s).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Television Announcer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:21:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'188322\' date=\'Jun 16 2008, 08:35 PM\']
With a show like Jeopardy, it would be hard to change the show's opening without having an announcer.[/quote]
It is, however, quite easy to do the actual SHOW part of the show, the part people care about, without an announcer.

Openings can be changed.

Not that I think it should be, mind you, but to say "OH NOES YOU CAN'T TOUCH JEOPARDY!!!!" is being a lot blind to the reality of the situation.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

The Television Announcer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:05:44 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'188322\' date=\'Jun 16 2008, 08:35 PM\']No, it's just that newer game shows and game show openings are designed without needing an announcer.  Much like newer primetime shows have short intros, themes, etc... if any theme at all.

I'd want to say that maybe one reason announcers are going by the wayside is perhaps union-related? (IIRC,  most if not all game shows shot at the facilities of the Big 3 nets all had announcers and now that more and more shows are shot at neutral locations, it's not a required union issue, no???) [/quote]
There are 2 reasons for the change, neither relating to the union nor the facility rented for a show.

First, like the observation you make about short intros/themes, the idea is to engage the viewer at the very top of the show before he can find and click the remote. The entrance of the host to the sight of flashing strobe lights and the sound of a screaming crowd, like a rock concert, is thought to be most engaging in those vital first seconds.

Second. $$$$$$... one less employee, especially one due residuals when the show is repurposed in perpetuity in formats and delivery systems not yet invented, on planets not yet discovered.

Now as far as the network or station announcers go, they have become extinct because voicetracking technology has become so economical and easy to do, as well as the cost of farming out work to "independent contractors" who pay for their own benefits & insurance and are not on the official company payroll  -- just like how it is in radio. I'm sure that Mr. West can give us the definitive answer(s).
Right, and thanks!   Oh, the now defunct staff announcer/booth announcer gig. Pardo, Reig, Dirk Fredricks, Fred Foy and dozens of other guys spending a shift sitting around, watching TV in the union required Announcers' Lounge for 28 minutes between booth VO duties, when not assigned to record promos, spots or other needed tracks during their shifts. I had a few months of that when I was hired by a now defunct shopping channel that provided a Winnebago for 3 announcers a day, each doing an 8 hour shift, to waste 28 minutes between plugs for what's coming up in the next hour and/or the weekend-long "fiesta of fine jewelry"

The technology allowing for voicetracking did ultimately lead to the demise of the booth announcer gig, but only after a couple of decades during which the unions lost power and made concessions. My buddy Johnny Donovan at WABC radio in New York benefitted when ABC finally exerted enough pressure at contract renegotiations with AFTRA that resulted in numerous staff announcer positions being eliminated. The concession was that one staffer, Johnny, has a full-time job, ostensibly for life, even though he doesn't even go in to the station every day.

Contrast that arrangement to when, in the 1960s, all the WABC jocks were categorized as staff announcers paid on a scale arranged when ABC radio presented individual programs. Four times every hour Dan Ingram was paid as if he had served as the announcer for another 15 minute radio show.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:21:31 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

The Television Announcer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »
I might guess at another reason for fewer game show announcers - today's shows generally just pay off in cash, rather than prizes, and there don't seem to be the traditional lovely parting gifts which mean no fee plugs. So that's a lot of the announcer's role shot down there.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TimK2003

The Television Announcer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'188323\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 12:21 AM\']
Not that I think it should be, mind you, but to say "OH NOES YOU CAN'T TOUCH JEOPARDY!!!!" is being a lot blind to the reality of the situation.
[/quote]

While I wasn't implying that J! should never go announcer-less, I just can't see Alex hyping up the contestants and their winnings at the start of the show like Johnny Gilbert does.  But I can see the start of the show with just the opening graphics then Alex walking in with nothing but applause.

I guess since the contestant intro by the announcer has been that way all that way back to the Fleming eras, it would be a noticeable change that would take a while to get used to.

On the flip side, if Charlie O. disappeared from Wheel today, I don't think many would notice as much if Pat & Vanna were coming into the studio unannounced.  However if it were still the "Look at this studio, filled with glamorous prizes" shopping era, and Charlie O was not there the next day, it would be a little harder to do and more noticeable.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
The Television Announcer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'188329\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 03:05 AM\']
Contrast that arrangement to when, in the 1960s, all the WABC jocks were categorized as staff announcers paid on a scale arranged when ABC radio presented individual programs. Four times every hour Dan Ingram was paid as if he had served as the announcer for another 15 minute radio show.
[/quote]

<sings>DAAAAAN IN! GRAM!  Se-ven-ty-Se-ven...W-A-B-C!!!! </sing>

/Sorry...I can't resist singing PAMS/JAM jingles.  ;-)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:33:25 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

uncamark

The Television Announcer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
And the fee plugs have all become "promotional consideration furnished by..." and then the pre-produced seven-second spots, with only the University Games plugs that pop up every holiday season looking like old-fashioned game show plugs.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Television Announcer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'188338\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 09:30 AM\']
<sings>DAAAAAN IN! GRAM!  Se-ven-ty-Se-ven...W-A-B-C!!!! </sing>

/Sorry...I can't resist singing PAMS/JAM jingles.  ;-)
[/quote]
There's shattered glass over my floor.

/Although the Ingram mess was almost always a fun listen.
//Met Ingram at a function in Chicago last fall.  We didn't hit it off too well, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the greatest disc jockeys of all time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:54:07 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
The Television Announcer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
I can vouch that on my show, "Clue Me In", there is an announcer there.  In fact, said announcer is heard right off the top.

As long as I have the say-so, the announcer will be there. :-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:11:00 PM by NicholasM79 »

clemon79

The Television Announcer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'188508\' date=\'Jun 19 2008, 08:10 PM\']
I can vouch that on my show, "Clue Me In", there is an announcer there.  In fact, said announcer is heard right off the top.

[/quote]
I trust you are the producer of this show?

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
The Television Announcer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'188510\' date=\'Jun 19 2008, 11:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'188508\' date=\'Jun 19 2008, 08:10 PM\']

[/quote]
I trust you are the producer of this show?
[/quote]

Oh, my apologies for not saying that...

Co-Producer and Co-Creator with Greg Brobeck (aka snowpeck, here) and Director.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:30:50 AM by NicholasM79 »

clemon79

The Television Announcer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »
Well, more power to you. :)