Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stosh Calls It Quits  (Read 30084 times)

RichZ

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 07:10:47 PM »
I never really had a problem with the Perf one way or another, but his writing style can be peculiar.  As a recent graduate with a degree in journalism, I cringe to think that he's responsible for teaching journalism to college students.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'190066\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 05:00 PM\']
I'd lay 3-to-1 it's Zach, just trying to draw attention to himself.
Nahh. Zach is nowhere near that clever.
[/quote]

Okay, you guys make your point. Conceded.

Joe, I'll pass along your $150. I can only pay you in Temptation dollars, though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
Well, whoever runs the site has just updated it:

http://www.geocities.com/tgsccam/index.html
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'190105\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 08:56 PM\']

[/quote]
Not as good as the previous efforts, but this one got a laugh out of me...
SPOILER: Arlene took the bank's offer of $181,000 with 6 cases left, each of which contained $1,000,000, to which the online game show community responded with 18 pages worth of "fail" and LOLcat images.

It's funny cause it's true!

Oh, and the quote of the day was pretty funny too.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'190105\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 08:56 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm on the floor. I think even my neighbor mowing his lawn (in the dark and I don't know why, yet it gives him joy so why not?) heard me howling. I'd forgotten all about TGSCCAM. The Amazing S. Beautiful!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'190006\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 09:04 AM\']But despite his faults and flaws, real or imagined (and not nearly as multitudinous as his critics want to believe) he has done more for the love of game shows than any other website, and if he really does close up shop, it leaves a void.[/quote]Faults, flaws, eccentricities, you can call them what you want, but when you have this problem:

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'190038\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 02:09 PM\']Basically, Steve was writing a game show blog before the term "blog" existed.  HE saw it as a journalistic exercise because that's his background, and his style of writing reflected that.  Even that whole third-person thing.  But it never was, mostly because (as I've said many times before) he didn't have an editor checking and controlling his content.  [/quote]I just can't take it seriously. And when you throw in the coined words, his pet causes, editorializing, factual errors that are swept away and quietly corrected instead of under a "corrections" section, it becomes even worse. (Dick Clark hosting the daily Millionaire, anyone?)

There was never any sense that Steve was part of the crowd. He was putting out his little publication from his Fortress of Solitude, and we were supposed to be ever so thankful that we had results, updates and interviews because of him. Did Steve ever join any discussions at alt.tv.game-shows? Did he even lurk or read there? I might be a bit more forgiving if there was ever any sort of "sorry guys, I goofed" apology on his part, or his getting his feet wet in our corner of the internet, but I never saw anything of the sort. So I won't miss him, if indeed he's left.
Travis L. Eberle

Justin Dyer

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »
I am sad to hear this news. It seems I'm in the minority here, but I loved his site. I have been reading it since the beginning. I think there is going to be a void in the game show community once his site goes down. Sure, Steve's site wasn't perfect. (I didn't like the fact that when some celebrity died who once was made a guest appereance on What's My Line, it got a half-page write-up.) But, Steve was such a pioneer. He dedicated so much time to the genre. I met Steve in person at a GSC. Nice guy.

Justin

Jay Temple

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
Eh. I had his page bookmarked, but only for the .pdf schedules.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'190131\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 10:58 PM\']
Eh. I had his page bookmarked, but only for the .pdf schedules.
[/quote]
THOSE I'll miss.

TimK2003

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
Oh gee Marge, look at this!!

It just so happens that the special guest for Stu's Show (This Wednesday, 7-9ET/4-6PT at shokusradio.com) will be the Perfesser himself!

Maybe we should all call in that night begging him to change his mind?..<giggle...giggle...snort!>

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'190144\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 11:44 PM\']
It just so happens that the special guest for Stu's Show (This Wednesday, 7-9ET/4-6PT at shokusradio.com) will be the Perfesser himself!

Maybe we should all call in that night begging him to change his mind?..<giggle...giggle...snort!>
[/quote]
Are you serious?
<pause for a moment while Don Howard checks the Shokus site for the sked>
Well, there you are.
Shall we take For Amusement Only wagers as to how many such calls there will be?

DrJWJustice

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'189997\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 10:42 AM\']
Can't say that I care, really.

And yes, he references himself in the third person several times in the article.  Jeepers.
[/quote]

The Perf's been doing that for years, and we've all questioned his journalistic integrity and his ethics from time to time.

I say "good ridance."  Now we don't have to take acid reflux meds every time we see him and his damn site quoted by the AP.

urbanpreppie05

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:28 AM »
When I was a young lad in College (ok, like 7 years ago) I was given permission to write a story for our college paper about game shows. Steve was a very helpful resource and gave me tips and pointers on how to slant the article toward our readers. I enjoyed his website a lot back then, but now I've noticed that he seems very out of touch and biased toward certain aspects of the game show world.

But at least in my eyes, i'll always remember him for the updates and how he helped me.
insert signature here

Footix

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'190037\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 05:07 PM\']
Unless I'm missing something, I highly doubt the site is run by Zach Horan.
[/quote]
Wasn't "game show researcher" Zach Horan a occasional contributor/source of information for Steve's site some years ago?

DrJWJustice

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'190185\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 08:41 AM\']
Steve was a very helpful resource and gave me tips and pointers on how to slant the article toward our readers.

(snip)

But at least in my eyes, i'll always remember him for the updates and how he helped me.
[/quote]
That's just it -- slanted.  Whatever happened to journalistic integrity, namely publishing what happened and leaving the editorial crap to the editorial section?

No offense, but I hope that help included a lesson on how not to write a story, namely in his style.