Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sudden Turns....  (Read 3248 times)

tpirfan28

Sudden Turns....
« on: July 06, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
With the news of TPIR's virtually impeding identity change, it got me thinking...are there any other game shows that had a major change (to the caliber that we could see TPIR) between seasons?

The only one that I could think of is Sale of the (New) Century in Australia, but I don't think that was this radical.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
As far as daytime shows, they didn't really do "seasons", so drastic changes came within the run whenever they were ready.  '70's $ale to the couples format, ABC Password to All-Stars (or other shows going to "Celebrity....."), Snap Judgment changing formats to that of Password, High Rollers changing from knocking off the numbers to "Face Lifters," etc.
What's worrisome is the changes generally didn't prevent the show from going off 13-26 weeks later.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:54:08 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Sudden Turns....
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
Celebrity The Price Is Right.

"Danny Bonaduce bid $19,000 on his showcase. Brian Dunkleman, if you bid closer without going over, you win your showcase."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:35:04 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'189874\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 12:17 PM\']
ABC Password to All-Stars (or other shows going to "Celebrity.....")[/quote]
No question, Password All-Stars.  Much more than other shows that simply switch to playing with celebrities,  All-Stars was a complete overhaul of a basic format (and set) that hadn't substantively changed in thirteen years.  I honestly doubt the changes TPIR will undergo are going to be as radical as that was.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'189876\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 12:33 PM\']
Celebrity The Price Is Right.
[/quote]

That phrase alone would be grounds for golden-road.net to take down the entire internet, not just their own website.

Jay Temple

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
Not as big as Password All-Stars, but I submit Play the Percentages. In the main game alone, they went from couples to single players and a complete change of the focus of the game.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Allstar87

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »
First thing I thought of was that God-awful Rodriguez Newlywed Game posted here a little while ago.

Craig Karlberg

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:19:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'189946\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 10:30 PM\']
Not as big as Password All-Stars, but I submit Play the Percentages. In the main game alone, they went from couples to single players and a complete change of the focus of the game.
[/quote]

Not only that, they even tinkered with the bonus round a few times.  No wonder it didn't last very long.  

Even Crosswords from this year went with a couple formats   Tinkering with formats especially during the season can lead to all kinds of problems.  That's why Program Partners wanted to "shut it down" for awhile due to production costs.

I guess we can make "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" the Ultimate Game Show Golden Rule.

BrandonFG

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'189955\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 02:08 AM\']
First thing I thought of was that God-awful Rodriguez Newlywed Game posted here a little while ago.
[/quote]
And in the same vein, the 90s versions of Dating/Newlywed changed from already radically altered formats, back to the original versions that worked in the previous three decades.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

whewfan

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
Break the Bank ('86) also underwent a serious overhaul shortly after Joe Farago took over. The stunts were axed, and now the players played for money instead of seconds. The bonus game was now another puzzle, where players started off with 10 bank cards, and each clue to the puzzle costed between 1-3 cards, which was randomly selected. When the puzzle was solved, the couple had a choice of 50 bank cards. A "bankrupt" card was added, meaning any prizes they won up to that point were lost.

The stunts were kind of stupid, and poorly timed and conceived, but the new bonus game was no improvement. It made for a much duller game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Sudden Turns....
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'189960\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 01:19 AM\']
Tinkering with formats especially during the season can lead to all kinds of problems.  That's why Program Partners wanted to "shut it down" for awhile due to production costs.[/quote]
No, they shut it down because it sucked and nobody was watching it. Trying to fix it had not one thing to do with that. It. Sucked.

Not that I was the least bit surprised to see something this far off the mark.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

entguy1

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
"Tattletales" changed its format quite a bit from the first season (buzz in when you hear a quote that matches your story) and survived. It's one of the few I can think of where changes helped the game.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Sudden Turns....
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »
Jackpot made some pretty big changes in the last few weeks of that format.  Also, the title of the show changed...but some might consider the changes the Illinois Lottery made to their game shows as a qualifiable situation as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

rugrats1

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'190072\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 06:20 PM\']
Jackpot made some pretty big changes in the last few weeks of that format.  Also, the title of the show changed...
[/quote]

While I was aware of the changes in the game, I thought the show was always "Jackpot" up until it left the air?

Jimmy Owen

Sudden Turns....
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'190275\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 08:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'190072\' date=\'Jul 7 2008, 06:20 PM\']
Jackpot made some pretty big changes in the last few weeks of that format.  Also, the title of the show changed...
[/quote]

While I was aware of the changes in the game, I thought the show was always "Jackpot" up until it left the air?
[/quote]

The name change Mark was referring to was IIR, IIRC.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.