Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regular Game Segments  (Read 6038 times)

BrandonFG

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
Dateline used to run a segment in the 90s called "Timeline", in which they showed clips of various news events that happened in a certain year, as well as movie/TV show/song snippets. They then gave you the choice of what year (out of three consecutive) the events happened.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Regular Game Segments
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'190214\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 12:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'190206\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 12:23 PM\']
The show "Wheel of Fortune" apparently has some game involving letters on a wall of monitors that they play in between promotional announcements.
[/quote]
Gold star.
[/quote]

...except that doesn't have anything to do with the topic...so he fails...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'190219\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 01:42 PM\']
...except that doesn't have anything to do with the topic...so he fails...[/quote]
No, I think you completely failed to get the joke.  Between this and believing Zach Horan clever enough to write the TGSCCAM, that's pretty much your second "whooosh" in as many days.  Care to go for the hat trick?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:59:20 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Regular Game Segments
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'190206\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 09:23 AM\']
The show "Wheel of Fortune" apparently has some game involving letters on a wall of monitors that they play in between promotional announcements.[/quote]
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/231/wordpuzzlejpgsp6.jpg
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
Do we count any of the 47 incarnations of Dialing for Dollars?

And in L.A., one of them was hosted by a certain Jeopardy! announcer.....and AGAIN, I AM NOT REFERRING TO MR. MISCHIEF!!!!!

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:31:33 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

MikeK

• Martha!
Regular Game Segments
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »
Hardball had a trivia game segment called The Hot Seat Challenge when it visited college campuses in 2002 and 2003.  I have no idea why I remember that.

Don Howard

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
For many years, independent UHF station Channel 43 in Cleveland ran a program called the Prize Movie, a clip of which I posted within this forum a year or so ago yet I'm too lazy to find (typing Prize Movie into the YouTube search engine ought to turn it up...or into the Invision search engine for that matter) where four or five times per show, the film being presented would be interrupted so the host could call a viewer to see if he or she could identify the motion picture from which the mini-clip they'd show was taken. The jackpot began at $5.43 and increased by a fast fiver for each incorrect guess. At least thrice, the kitty topped $1000.
I'm certain there were other such Prize Movies or Money Movies in other cities.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:41:12 PM by Don Howard »

MikeK

• Martha!
Regular Game Segments
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 06:45:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190266\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 06:40 PM\']For many years, independent UHF station Channel 43 in Cleveland ran a program called the Prize Movie, a clip of which I posted within this forum a year or so ago yet I'm too lazy to find (typing Prize Movie into the YouTube search engine ought to turn it up...or into the Invision search engine for that matter)[/quote]
I got ya covered, my Buckeye brother.  Here it is.

/420!

Don Howard

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'190263\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 06:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190198\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 08:35 AM\']
Do we count any of the 47 incarnations of Dialing for Dollars?
[/quote]
And in L.A., one of them was hosted by a certain Jeopardy! announcer.....and AGAIN, I AM NOT REFERRING TO MR. MISCHIEF!!!!!
[/quote]
How do you know Mrs. Gilbert doesn't call him that?
On many of those call 'em at home during the movie or whatever shows (Dialing For Dollars and Money Movie 7 in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area during the 1970s when I lived there), all the viewer {or should I say the person called?} would have to do is tell the emcee how much loot was in the jackpot to win the money. The hosts would boast about how big the jackpots would get if they would go weeks or months without a winner, seemingly not realizing this meant no one from the phone book they were using was watching their show.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:54:52 PM by Don Howard »

William_S.

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:43:08 PM »
QVC had a word scramble, in which the person shopping on air would get the chance to try to unscramble the word . If they do so , then the shopper would win "shopper dollars"  by a spin of a wheel.

byrd62

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
In one Dialing for Dollars version I saw almost 30 years ago in Tampa-St. Petersburg, the person called had to not only guess how much money was in the jackpot, but also had to guess a phrase given by the host [a different phrase each day].

TimK2003

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:26 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'190267\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 06:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190266\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 06:40 PM\']For many years, independent UHF station Channel 43 in Cleveland ran a program called the Prize Movie, a clip of which I posted within this forum a year or so ago yet I'm too lazy to find (typing Prize Movie into the YouTube search engine ought to turn it up...or into the Invision search engine for that matter)[/quote]
I got ya covered, my Buckeye brother.  Here it is.

/420!
[/quote]

Thanks for that memory.  If you want to talk about a low-budget game show farce, Prize Movie takes the cake.

I'll just add that if someone did guess the movie right, they won the jackpot, they showed a longer clip of the winning movie (which usually included a shot of an actor which would give the movie away), then the next mystery clip would premiere during the next call.  They would also show a still of the movie clip with the movie name for a few days after the movie was guessed as a bumper going into commercials.

Also, the big wheel would hold pictures of famous faces that you would see on Channel 43, including local personalities -- all you had to do was to guess the name of the person or the show they were on.  If you didn't know, they would try to give you such obvious clues, and yet people would still choke.  

Some of their better known prizes were Cody Stetson cologne, Dupont/Stren fishing line, and IMHO the best prize of them all -- A box of Flair Squares -- The Prize Movie's answer to Z-Brick!

DrBear

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'190304\' date=\'Jul 8 2008, 09:54 PM\'] In one Dialing for Dollars version I saw almost 30 years ago in Tampa-St. Petersburg, the person called had to not only guess how much money was in the jackpot, but also had to guess a phrase given by the host [a different phrase each day].
 [/quote]

That was fairly common - in Green Bay in the 60s, there was a 15-minute DFD on WFRV-Channel 5  after a 15-minute noon newscast (hey, there wasn't much happening in Green Bay in those days). Then they'd make two calls during the 3:30 movie (usually some 1940s B-picture). The routine:

Spin the wheel at the beginning of the show, and get something like 8 up or 3 down.
Reach into the big drum with cut-up slips of phone books and pick one slip. Count 8 up or 3 down on the slip to get the right name.
Call said victim. Three rings and a 10 count was the limit.
If an answer, victim had to give the jackpot amount (raised $5 after each FAIL) and the key phrase for the day (usually a promo like NBC WEEK or HUNTLEY-BRINKLEY REPORT).
Lather, rinse, repeat.

(I much preferred Channel 2 WBAY, which featured the Greyhound Sweepstakes - filmed Greyhound races, and if your ticket, received at the grocery, matched the first three finishers, you won.)

As for getting on TOPIC...could yuo say that Treasure Hunt sort of made its end game the whole game? In the original Jan Murray edition, there was a question period to decide who got to pick the crate and get driven crazy. In the Chuck Barris version, it was just pick somebody at random, and the reveal was the whole show.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'190355\' date=\'Jul 9 2008, 09:12 AM\']

As for getting on TOPIC...could yuo say that Treasure Hunt sort of made its end game the whole game? In the original Jan Murray edition, there was a question period to decide who got to pick the crate and get driven crazy. In the Chuck Barris version, it was just pick somebody at random, and the reveal was the whole show.
[/quote]

Ummm, that was a different thread. This is a thread about regular game segments in non-game shows.

In our attempt to get on topic, we went off topic.  :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Sodboy13

Regular Game Segments
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
There was the semi-regular "Wheel of Destiny" featured on "The Man Show."  Kimmel's second-finest game show effort.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation