Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Season 37 changes  (Read 70749 times)

TroubadourNando

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with it, though. imo the wheel was due for a little freshening up anyway.

And at least it isn't the already-infamous Purple Wheel.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2008, 12:03:32 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'193190\' date=\'Aug 2 2008, 09:24 PM\']Dunno what the whole point on that was. If you want to change the look of the show, then hey, it's your show, change the look of the show!

This new regime is just weird.[/quote]
I think it's change for sake of change.  The staff has been presumably under a stiff regime of little-to-no-change, so seeing all these extraneous touch-ups doesn't seem that surprising.

To be honest, I could barely tell until I looked closely.  I do like the chrome border with the lights off, though.  Looks cool.

I guess we haven't talked about Gas Money yet, either.  I consider it.....interesting, I guess.
This signature is currently under construction.

Chelsea Thrasher

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2008, 01:28:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193196\' date=\'Aug 2 2008, 11:03 PM\']
I guess we haven't talked about Gas Money yet, either.  I consider it.....interesting, I guess.
[/quote]

From the trio of descriptions I've heard, it essentially sounds like the inverse of the now-retired Joker, only played for a lot higher stakes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
Only on The Price is Right can you win $6,000 by being wrong three times. Oy.

/Or a new car for doing nothing more than choosing a number on the Pass the Buck board, I suppose.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Unrealtor

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'193190\' date=\'Aug 2 2008, 08:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'193189\' date=\'Aug 2 2008, 09:19 PM\']
A partial image of the new wheel's look (which is not purple..don't know if that's been covered yet) is here.

Looks very good, IMO.
[/quote]
So, they changed the numbers on the wheel......why? They look just like the old version, but more safecracker-y.

Dunno what the whole point on that was. If you want to change the look of the show, then hey, it's your show, change the look of the show!

This new regime is just weird.
[/quote]

You ask "why?". I ask "If they're re-doing the rest of the wheel to look good in high-def, why not stick fresh numbers on that don't have 30 years' worth of accidental dents, scratches, etc.?"

They may not be exactly the same design, but the rest of the set is 2008's idea of how the 70s looked, not how the 70s actually looked.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tvwxman

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'193222\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:25 PM\']
You ask "why?". I ask "If they're re-doing the rest of the wheel to look good in high-def, why not stick fresh numbers on that don't have 30 years' worth of accidental dents, scratches, etc.?"

They may not be exactly the same design, but the rest of the set is 2008's idea of how the 70s looked, not how the 70s actually looked.
[/quote]
Not quite the point I'm trying to make. What I'm saying, is, the new bosses are obviously putting their own stamp on the show, yet that stamp seems to be exactly like the old stamp, with minor tweaks. It goes against all of the other rumours/innuendos that have TPIR shedding a LOT of it's former self.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:40:32 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193205\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:42 AM\']Only on The Price is Right can you win $6,000 by being wrong three times. Oy.[/quote]
This is the same argument that was made against One Wrong Price, isn't it? I really don't think it's fair to say that someone is winning money for being wrong when the goal is "pick a wrong price" and they do so correctly.

I wonder if the price ranges are going to be similar to the ones used in Five Price Tags, and if so, what the historical record is on contestants picking the right price in that game with their first pick. Greater than 20%? Less? Between that, and all of the people who are surely not going to want to risk $6,000 in hand for what amounts to them to a coin flip, I'm not sure this game is going to have a win percentage much higher than the $1M win percentage on Deal. Which may be part of the idea, of course.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'193229\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193205\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:42 AM\']Only on The Price is Right can you win $6,000 by being wrong three times. Oy.[/quote]
This is the same argument that was made against One Wrong Price, isn't it? I really don't think it's fair to say that someone is winning money for being wrong when the goal is "pick a wrong price" and they do so correctly.[/quote]No, not really.  This isn't the example I was thinking of; I think Plinko is the most glaring example.  You can blow all four prizes and still win $10,000.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2008, 01:32:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'193260\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 04:31 PM\']No, not really.  This isn't the example I was thinking of; I think Plinko is the most glaring example.  You can blow all four prizes and still win $10,000.[/quote]As much as I don't like the "something for nothing," I'm OK with it because 1) it's not my money, and 1a) they can do whatever they damn well please with their budget, but more importantly

2) how dumb will it look when someone oh-fers the pricing portion and doesn't get to play the marquee game? You have this massive prop that everyone in the crowd goes wild for...and it goes back to the storage unit.

Lame.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2008, 01:54:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'193229\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 11:59 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193205\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:42 AM\']Only on The Price is Right can you win $6,000 by being wrong three times. Oy.[/quote]This is the same argument that was made against One Wrong Price, isn't it? I really don't think it's fair to say that someone is winning money for being wrong when the goal is "pick a wrong price" and they do so correctly.[/quote]I made no such argument about it: of the three prices, one is wrong, and you have to find it. End of rules.

The problem I have with Gas Money as written is that the second layer of rules is added on to give away the money. That layer of rules also allows someone who was initially wrong to win $6,000, even though he may not know that he was wrong that first time. If you're going to ask someone to pick the right price of a car, just do that, and be done with it. (Like Five Price Tags) Something in my brain just doesn't like it when you can be wrong from go and still win a pile of money like that.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193292\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 10:54 PM\']
Something in my brain just doesn't like it when you can be wrong from go and still win a pile of money like that.[/quote]
But...you're not wrong. You're right about eliminating a wrong price.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Five Price Tags meets Trivia Trap...can't wait to see how this is gonna work.

Speaking of which, on Trivia Trap, they were paid to correctly identify wrong answers, so the players who knew the correct answer would have an advantage over those who blindly picked from the set. Same rules apply here: A player who knows the right price of the car has a better chance of taking the max than someone who goes based off picking blindly.

I have a question, though. Is it automatically going to be $1K for the first correctly guessed wrong price, $2K for the second, etc., or does each wrong price have a dollar amount attached to it?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:37:54 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Fedya

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »
tleberle wrote:
The problem I have with Gas Money as written is that the second layer of rules is added on to give away the money. That layer of rules also allows someone who was initially wrong to win $6,000, even though he may not know that he was wrong that first time.
In that case, don't have the contestant set aside any of the prices at the beginning.  What you're left with is more or less a reworking of Grand Game, played for a car instead of cash.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tyshaun1

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »
According to this Variety article, Mike Richards is your new co-exec. producer. He worked on Weakest Link and hosted Beauty and the Geek for the CW/B. It also states that he was considered for the hosting job last year as well...

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:28:53 AM by tyshaun1 »

Jimmy Owen

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
On Lucky Seven, if there is a dollar left over after buying the car, isn't it kind of insulting to tell the players to use the cash to buy what amounts to a mere thimblefull of gas?  :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.