Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Season 37 changes  (Read 70744 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193553\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 05:02 PM\']
That's......bizarre.  They've pretty much set the game back 20 years.  If it's to make the game faster, I can sorta understand, but still.....bizarre.[/quote]
I wtf'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193562\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:03 PM\']Dare I float the notion we're going into "change for the sake of change" soon? I mean, 3 Strikes DID take a long time to play, but still...
[/quote]
Again I'm left with the question about how big a deal this really is.  I mean, every single one of you recognize that the changes speed the game up.   Doesn't it seem likely that's the reason they did it?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TroubadourNando

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'193563\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193562\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:03 PM\']Dare I float the notion we're going into "change for the sake of change" soon? I mean, 3 Strikes DID take a long time to play, but still...
[/quote]
Again I'm left with the question about how big a deal this really is.  I mean, every single one of you recognize that the changes speed the game up.   Doesn't it seem likely that's the reason they did it?
[/quote]

I do agree, but if you think about it, there's little you can really do to *guarantee* this game goes quicker. By its design it is a long game. You can push it towards being quicker by changing the rules (as we see now) but ultimately, it's still possible for someone to pull the same number and repeatedly screw it up, just less likely.

Eh, you're right, it could be worse. Maybe it's the "what could happen next" thoughts sneaking into my mind again... but eh. I'll give them that the changes so far have been mostly good except for the early-on wheel debacle.

Matt Ottinger

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193565\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:45 PM\']
I'll give them that the changes so far have been mostly good except for the early-on wheel debacle.[/quote]
Which they recognized and addressed quickly.  Yet no matter what, you guys continue to start from the position that they can't possibly know what they're doing, and each positive change can only mean that the next one must be the worst one ever.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TroubadourNando

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'193566\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193565\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:45 PM\']
I'll give them that the changes so far have been mostly good except for the early-on wheel debacle.[/quote]
Which they recognized and addressed quickly.  Yet no matter what, you guys continue to start from the position that they can't possibly know what they're doing, and each positive change can only mean that the next one must be the worst one ever.
[/quote]

Not....quite the context I wanted to put it in, but touché nevertheless. I freely admit that I totally underestimated things at the start, and I was wrong about Mike Richards (or at least as wrong as one can be before seeing his work) too.

And yes, they did get the wheel problem resolved with admirable speed. No doubt about it. I guess my only real standing criticism of it is why they saw the need to bring the copy wheel from Vegas for only one or two shows...

EDIT: Okay, I thought about it more, and I realized that I'm being totally off-base with my thoughts on the 3 Strikes change. Last year I actually found myself actually expecting it to be *retired* by now because of how long it took... so if making the game harder is what it takes to lower that time, so be it. It's a necessary evil.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:09:43 PM by TroubadourNando »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193565\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 06:45 PM\']Eh, you're right, it could be worse. Maybe it's the "what could happen next" thoughts sneaking into my mind again... but eh. I'll give them that the changes so far have been mostly good except for the early-on wheel debacle.[/quote]Some of us are working from the position that making Three Strikes a faster game isn't a bad thing. And the "what happens next" thoughts are nothing more than a slippery slope argument.

Wait until they actually DO something bad before you throw them under the bus.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Casey

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2008, 10:50:43 PM »
What I have yet to figure out is why everyone is so wound up about the game going back to its original format.....

TroubadourNando

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'193572\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 10:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'193565\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 06:45 PM\']Eh, you're right, it could be worse. Maybe it's the "what could happen next" thoughts sneaking into my mind again... but eh. I'll give them that the changes so far have been mostly good except for the early-on wheel debacle.[/quote]Some of us are working from the position that making Three Strikes a faster game isn't a bad thing. And the "what happens next" thoughts are nothing more than a slippery slope argument.

Wait until they actually DO something bad before you throw them under the bus.
[/quote]

Wait, I don't believe I specifically said making 3 Strikes faster in and of itself was bad (of course, knowing my luck I probably did) And I was trying to get across that I was dismissing the "what happens next" notion, but I guess I didn't convey myself properly. No biggie, no harm.

I guess my...failure with words also twisted up my attempt to try and compliment them for impressing me and proving me mostly wrong. This is so frustrating and embarrassing...

What I have yet to figure out is why everyone is so wound up about the game going back to its original format.....

The more extreme opinions are probably fueled not by the 'three strike chips' element but the notion of giving the first digit for free, which was only used (to my knowledge) on the Doug Davidson version... (I know I'm probably wrong in regards to 3 Strikes +, but I just don't know how they handled five digits with that)

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'193574\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 10:50 PM\']What I have yet to figure out is why everyone is so wound up about the game going back to its original format.....[/quote]
I think the issue is that it's the original format for 4-digit 3 Strikes -- not the 5-digit version, which for the last 17 years or so has routinely offered some of the most expensive cars on the show and is supposed to be hard.

And yes, I realize that putting back the second and third strikes will take care of the difficulty...but there's still something about it that just rubs me the wrong way.  It should make the game time faster, though -- I want to say 3 Strikes was timed a minute shorter than 3 Strikes +.

xavier45

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
G-R.net confirms that this season, the show will be including Rich in some of the Showcases.

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=7906.345

Jimmy Owen

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'193602\' date=\'Aug 7 2008, 11:11 AM\']
G-R.net confirms that this season, the show will be including Rich in some of the Showcases.

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=7906.345
[/quote]

Noooo! I don't like changes.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'193574\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 09:50 PM\']
[/quote]
With perfect pricing, the 'new' rules would decrease the probability of winning by a full 20%, from 62% to 42%.  If we assume the contestants are guessing randomly, though (which is much closer to being accurate)...I'm sure the probabilities narrow considerably (read: the difference will be much less noticable than 20% would be), but damned if I'm going to do the math on THAT calculation.

That said...yeah, I really don't get it either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:33:13 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Casey Buck

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »
Guess what? 3 Strikes just got even worse.

According to Marc Green at golden-road.net, after just one (apparently anticlimatic) playing of the 3 strike chips/first digit free format, it's now 1 strike chip/first digit free. Needless to say, it has now become much easier to win, which means it won't be played for luxury cars anymore.

As tpirfan28 elegantly put it:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5757/strk4failis1.jpg
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:49:40 PM by Casey Buck »

KrisW73

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'194200\' date=\'Aug 15 2008, 02:48 PM\']

According to Marc Green at golden-road.net, after just one (apparently anticlimatic) playing of the 3 strike chips/first digit free format, it's now 1 strike chip/first digit free. Needless to say, it has now become much easier to win, which means it won't be played for luxury cars anymore.

As tpirfan28 elegantly put it:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5757/strk4failis1.jpg
[/quote]

3 Strikes played for Chevy Aveos?  Interesting.

/sarcasm

CarShark

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'194200\' date=\'Aug 15 2008, 02:48 PM\']

According to Marc Green at golden-road.net, after just one (apparently anticlimatic) playing of the 3 strike chips/first digit free format, it's now 1 strike chip/first digit free. Needless to say, it has now become much easier to win, which means it won't be played for luxury cars anymore.[/quote]That's seems kind of reactionary. Will they at least play it more often, since it doesn't take as long and won't hurt the budget as much? And does that mean that another game will take it's place as part of "The Big Three"? If so, I'd suggest Temptation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:13:30 PM by CarShark »