Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Season 37 changes  (Read 70728 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2008, 03:57:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'194723\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:43 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194722\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 02:32 AM\']
Well THAT'S certainly going to promote civil discourse.[/quote]Perhaps I should have worded it better.  When I said 'asshat' I didn't mean Steve in particular...just any contestant on the show.
[/quote]
Then yeah, you definitely should have worded it better, because that's not how I interpreted things at all. :) Hopefully the clarification cut things off at the pass. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'194720\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 02:45 AM\']Sorry, but when I'm staring down $4- or $5,000 in prizes I have no use for and could care less about what they cost, I'm taking the five Benjamins and preparing my wheel-spinning strategy.[/quote]
...which is exactly why the game is broken now.  The format was never intended to provide such an option, and as you yourself just said, there is now no incentive to bother playing it if you don't want the prizes.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'194721\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 03:24 AM\']You didn't read the first part of my argument, I see.  Are you willing to guarantee yourself $500 at the expensive of looking like a complete asshat?[/quote]
What makes you so sure a contestant wouldn't do exactly that?  You act like there's never been anyone on that program before that we've ridiculed for being "a complete asshat."

[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'194727\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 08:05 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'194708\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:32 AM\']But of course, I'm sure you'll just blow it off by calling me a fanb0i without actually bothering to explain why I'm wrong.[/quote]Well, you are a fanb0i, and it has been explained to you several times.  I don't know how anyone can make it any clearer.[/quote]
But that's the thing -- it hasn't been explained.  Or rather, it has now, but the explanation provided ended up confirming my point -- that there is now no incentive whatsoever to even pretend you're interested in the prizes if you don't want them, because you can just sleepwalk through the game until the bailout point and ride off into the sunset with your money.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:31:51 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

clemon79

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'194731\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 07:30 AM\']
Or rather, it has now, but the explanation provided ended up confirming my point -- that there is now no incentive whatsoever to even pretend you're interested in the prizes if you don't want them, because you can just sleepwalk through the game until the bailout point and ride off into the sunset with your money.[/quote]
But if the contestant had any sense, there wasn't before.

Remove the $500 from the equation. Assume the prizes are three things I don't care to have cluttering up my already-cluttered apartment. Further assume that following the reveal of the first two marks, I think that in order to win, I need to move the third mark. Two options arise:

a) If I think I can I easily flip them for enough post-tax profit that it's worth my time and effort to do so, I make the move.
b) If I don't, I shrug and leave it be, because I'm coming out ahead that way.

The injection of $500 to what is easily a $2K+ tax liability is not going to change that decision one iota.

CarShark

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'194731\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 10:30 AM\']What makes you so sure a contestant wouldn't do exactly that?  You act like there's never been anyone on that program before that we've ridiculed for being "a complete asshat."[/quote]Show some conclusive proof that a contestant has gone on stage, disliked their prizes and thrown the game. An interview. A blog post. Something. Anything. Otherwise, your whole argument is shot, IMO.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

tpirfan28

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'194735\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'194731\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 10:30 AM\']What makes you so sure a contestant wouldn't do exactly that?  You act like there's never been anyone on that program before that we've ridiculed for being "a complete asshat."[/quote]Show some conclusive proof that a contestant has gone on stage, disliked their prizes and thrown the game. An interview. A blog post. Something. Anything. Otherwise, your whole argument is shot, IMO.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
[/quote]
He didn't make the stage, but he surely wasn't pulling an Herman Edwards

/Why don't we just get the game sacked and move on, anyway?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:20:09 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2008, 12:32:24 PM »
I would like to weigh in here, but first I would like either Steve or ClockGameJohn or anyone else who actually, absolutely KNOWS what the new rules are to explain them one more time, and how they differ from the old rules.  Too many people are giving their "impressions" and those are getting in the way of the facts.

For the purposes of continuing this thread civilly, any more references to "asshat" or any permutation of "fanboy" will be dealt with harshly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194740\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 09:32 AM\']
I would like to weigh in here, but first I would like either Steve or ClockGameJohn or anyone else who actually, absolutely KNOWS what the new rules are to explain them one more time, and how they differ from the old rules.  Too many people are giving their "impressions" and those are getting in the way of the facts.[/quote]
Seconded. I tried to get this earlier in the thread, and never got a response. I am fairly certain I understand the differences, but I would love an authoritative summary.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:40:11 PM by clemon79 »

J.R.

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'194735\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 11:10 AM\']YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME![/quote]
I agree. Even if I didn't like the game and/or the prizes offered, I would still genuinely try to win. The glory of being a "pricing game winner" with the chance at being the "showcase winner" on TPIR would last a lot longer than a daybed.
-Joe Raygor

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
I understand Steve's point.

One would hope that a contestant who didn't want the prizes would at least play to win them anyway (with the intent on refusing them,  along with their tax burden, after the taping), if for nothing else than to give themselves a more advantageous position in the spinning order.

But walking out with $500 cash might register in some people's heads as a priority due to the instant gratification and guaranteed reward, relatively small though it may be.
@lambertman

Matt Ottinger

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'194759\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 04:04 PM\']
I understand Steve's point.

One would hope that a contestant who didn't want the prizes would at least play to win them anyway (with the intent on refusing them,  along with their tax burden, after the taping), if for nothing else than to give themselves a more advantageous position in the spinning order.

But walking out with $500 cash might register in some people's heads as a priority due to the instant gratification and guaranteed reward, relatively small though it may be.[/quote]
I was pretty sure I understood Steve's point too, but I wasn't going to say anything until I had the rules absolutely, positively explained, something that still doesn't appear to be happening.

As I understand it, I don't really see how this is any different than Spelling Bee (where you're given two cards outright) or Temptation, two games that give you something for nothing, and then let you either keep it or risk it for something bigger.  In both cases, if you walk away, you've done absolutely nothing to earn what you get.  And in both those cases, they give you a lot more than $500.  The only difference I see is that it's somewhat more likely that the player would want a car than three medium-sized prizes, but as we discussed back in February, even that isn't a guarantee.

clemon79

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'194758\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:40 PM\']
The glory of being a "pricing game winner" with the chance at being the "showcase winner" on TPIR would last a lot longer than a daybed.
[/quote]
But is said glory worth a couple grand to the gub'ment come April 15th? That's the thing for me. Yes, if it all comes free and clear, absolutely, I'm with you. But if it's something I REALLY REALLY don't want (Where the hell am I gonna put a gazebo in my apartment? Out on the porch? I can barely fit a Hibachi out there. And a gazebo isn't going to flip readily at all.)

Now, another question for the Price experts: can I *refuse* a prize outright? If I win that gazebo, can I say "No, screw it, keep it" and therefore not take on the tax liability? Because if so, then Joe's argument instantly becomes 137% more valid.

J.R.

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194762\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 04:10 PM\']But is said glory worth a couple grand to the gub'ment come April 15th? That's the thing for me. Yes, if it all comes free and clear, absolutely, I'm with you.[/quote]
Let me clarify: I would try to win any game I was given, but all the prizes would be refused. I'm more interested in the "thrill of victory" than the physical rewards.

Does that make more sense?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:20:45 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

tpirfan28

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194762\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 05:10 PM\']
Now, another question for the Price experts: can I *refuse* a prize outright?[/quote]
Yes.

Price Tidbit #4037:  I believe trips are two different prizes...you can take both airfare and hotel, refuse airfare, refuse hotel, or refuse both.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194762\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 04:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'194758\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:40 PM\']
The glory of being a "pricing game winner" with the chance at being the "showcase winner" on TPIR would last a lot longer than a daybed.
[/quote]
But is said glory worth a couple grand to the gub'ment come April 15th? That's the thing for me. Yes, if it all comes free and clear, absolutely, I'm with you. But if it's something I REALLY REALLY don't want (Where the hell am I gonna put a gazebo in my apartment? Out on the porch? I can barely fit a Hibachi out there. And a gazebo isn't going to flip readily at all.)

Now, another question for the Price experts: can I *refuse* a prize outright? If I win that gazebo, can I say "No, screw it, keep it" and therefore not take on the tax liability? Because if so, then Joe's argument instantly becomes 137% more valid.
[/quote]
That's the thing...there are THREE prizes in Make Your Mark.  What are the odds that all three of them are gonna be crap you don't want?  If nothing else, you can refuse the other two and just take that pinball machine you've always had your eye on (or know you can resell for three grand).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:44:21 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Matt Ottinger

TPiR Season 37 changes
« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194762\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 05:10 PM\']Now, another question for the Price experts: can I *refuse* a prize outright? If I win that gazebo, can I say "No, screw it, keep it" and therefore not take on the tax liability? Because if so, then Joe's argument instantly becomes 137% more valid.[/quote]
Never played TPIR, but in general yes, of course, they can't make you take a prize.  However, there's not a lot of time to think it through.  If it's anything like my experience (twice), you're signing something right after the show that says whether or not you accept the prize(s).