Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DonnyMid  (Read 2233 times)

bellbm

DonnyMid
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »
Seeing the reruns on GSN remind me of how great of a remake this show was.  Very true to the original, great host, great set, great gameplay.
Hopefully the ratings will be good, and maybe we'll see new episodes at some point.

Hastin

DonnyMid
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »
My sarcasm-meter is going off, yet I think it might be a false alarm.
-Hastin :)

BrandonFG

DonnyMid
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'191911\' date=\'Jul 23 2008, 11:28 PM\']
Seeing the reruns on GSN remind me of how great of a remake this show was.  Very true to the original, great host, great set, great gameplay.
Hopefully the ratings will be good, and maybe we'll see new episodes at some point.
[/quote]
The best Pyramid remake was the one that premiered almost 20 years earlier, to the day.

Donnymid wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't say it was great either. There's a few threads around here discussing the problems many had with the show, but off the top of my head:

-The writing
-Too much focus on the celebrities
-The anticlimactic tournament
-The constant camera cuts

Most of all, the inconsistent judging and arbitrary difficulty of Winner's Circle categories.

/and "What (Celebrity's Inanimate Object) Would Say"...

Donny was a capable host, a little too caffeinated at times, but still very competent. The show was simply, IMO, mediocre.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:35:17 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
DonnyMid
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »
You forgot the judging.

It's almost sad to say it, but I think it was one of the better "revivals" of the decade.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DonnyMid
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'191912\' date=\'Jul 23 2008, 08:30 PM\']
My sarcasm-meter is going off, yet I think it might be a false alarm.
[/quote]
Sadly, I have to entertain the possibility that it is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GameShowFan

DonnyMid
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'191911\' date=\'Jul 23 2008, 10:28 PM\']
[/quote]

Those of us who saw the ill-fated pilots in 1996 and 1997 know how far the show traveled prior to this version airing.

The writing that went away from the original version contributed to the judging issues. (That, plus an executive producer overruling a knowledgeable yet inexperienced (in the producer's eyes) writer/judge.) I complained to said writer when I last saw him, and he was still working on the show, that the categories themselves did not have a good handle to work with. "Guys Who <random dumbass celeb> Thinks Are Hot" does not lend itself very easily to advance the focus of the contestant's thinking.

And let's not talk about the lame "tournaments."

I would imagine if the writing had been a little crisper, we would have a completely different impression of the game. (Don't know if the fate would have been the same!)

'Brian

clemon79

DonnyMid
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' post=\'191928\' date=\'Jul 24 2008, 05:44 AM\']
I would imagine if the writing had been a little crisper, we would have a completely different impression of the game. (Don't know if the fate would have been the same!)[/quote]
It would have helped, but the judging is what really killed it for me. The hardass judging on the $25K show was one of my very favorite things about it.

catnap1972

DonnyMid
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
Didn't one of you post back then that the producer was going more for entertainment value ("ooh celebrities!") as opposed to what would pass for an actual game?

tvwxman

DonnyMid
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'191994\' date=\'Jul 24 2008, 04:29 PM\']
Didn't one of you post back then that the producer was going more for entertainment value ("ooh celebrities!") as opposed to what would pass for an actual game?
[/quote]
Then explain the constant barrage of D-list celebs were we forced upon.

Seriously, more often than not, I couldn't tell who was the celeb and who was the civilian.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

DonnyMid
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'191994\' date=\'Jul 24 2008, 01:29 PM\']
Didn't one of you post back then that the producer was going more for entertainment value ("ooh celebrities!") as opposed to what would pass for an actual game?[/quote]
Yes. Many of the other things posted are probably better off not repeated in a family forum.

Offshored2007

DonnyMid
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »
Lousy game playing, 6 clues in 20 sec rounds resulting in low scores, cheap payouts (at this point,
it should have been a top prize of at least $50,000 each day given inflation) and everything
else mentioned made this a forgettable revival.